Vend Reviews

Updated May 12, 2020

3.8
Vend CEO Alexander Fala
Alexander Fala
Pros
  • "Start up perks, cute dogs, free snacks(in 22 reviews)

• "The company is generally speaking very flexible, you can work flexible hours, work remotely and also work from home from time to time(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast paced is a pro and a con depending on if you can keep up(in 6 reviews)

• "No real path to career development (But that is being fixed and changes are already noticeable)(in 6 reviews)

"One of the most exciting opportunities you'll come across..."

Current Employee - Marketing in Auckland, CA

I have been working at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company has a legit chance of becoming the best in the world at what we do, which is super inspiring and makes you jump out of bed in the morning to get to work. The projects and opportunities available to you are endless, and you can really rise within the company to whatever you're capable of.

Cons

The pace at Vend is super fast, so if you're not on the ball and on top of your game then you can get left behind. Also, you'll need to adapt well to change as the company is growing rapidly.

Vend2014-11-27

January 27, 2020People Experience Partner

Hi there, Thanks for your review and the positive feedback. Great to hear you're loving Vend and excited for our future. Best Heather (People Experience Partner)

2. "If you get the opportunity to work at Vend - DO IT!"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Melbourne

I worked at Vend full-time

Pros

My time at Vend reasonably short, but in that time it was immediately clear to me what the three main things were that made it such an awesome place to work. 1 - The people. It is not common you find a workplace that makes you feel like you are spending time with your family regardless of if you're at home or at work. The people of Vend have managed to cultivate an environment where people feel cared for, thought of when business decisions are made and included in on most of those decisions. From upper management down, everyone is approachable, everyone is cared for and most importantly, everyone can have a laugh with each other. The Melbourne office is a hive of activity and when you throw in the collaboration of each of the other offices, that is what made Vend an awesome place to be. 2 - The product. Coming from a retail background myself, I knew what the industry need from tools for their business to run smoothly and Vend was so far ahead of what I expected when I first heard about them. The software is evolving constantly to always improve. Customers will let businesses know what they would like looked at, but how often does a business actually listen and give that customer what they are asking for? Vend does exactly that. I was satisfying to me knowing that I worked for a company that cared about the customer as much as I did. Being in a sales based role, the fact Vend was so innovative and developed with such pace made the sales process really easy. 3 - The founder. The founder of Vend, Vaughan Furgusson, was what sparked my first interest in Vend when I looked at the job. Soon after commencing my role I found him to genuinely inspiring. He is one of the main driving forces for technological integration within retail world. He is definitely one of the key reasons Vend has cultivated and environment where people care about retailers and the industry as a whole so much. He is so entrepreneurially minded in the way he interacts with both the employees of Vend and its customers. He doesn't make you feel like you HAVE to do your best work, he makes you feel like you WANT to.

Cons

Vend was a pretty awesome place to work. In my duration there, I struggled to find anything seriously negative.

Vend2020-05-13

May 13, 2020P&C Consultant

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to provide such an in depth and positive review. Our product and our people are extremely important to us and it is really encouraging to hear that you experienced this during your time with Vend. I love your comment around how our Founder Vaughan inspired you to want to do your best work at Vend - we reckon he is pretty great too! Thanks again Elissa (People Experience Partner)

3. "Great product, great culture and difficult times"

4.0
    Former Employee - BDE in Melbourne

I worked at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great team culture - Product is truly a market leader - Ambitious and adaptive company - Office perks (pool, table tennis, coffee) - They invest in their staff

Cons

- Sometimes it felt like management wasn't aligned on goals - A few leaders don't know how to use technology very well.

Vend2020-05-05

May 13, 2020P&C Consultant

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to write a review and are always interested in what Venders have to say - past and present. It's great to hear that you had such a positive experience. Thank you for your feedback around management in respect to goals. The current situation has meant that our Executive Team and our Leaders have had to quickly pivot and not everything we had planned will go ahead, but we see massive opportunity in the coming months. Thanks again Elissa (People Experience Partner)

4. "If you like feeling like you’ll be fired at any minute then join"

1.0
    Account Executive in South Melbourne

I worked at Vend

Pros

Dogs, Friday drinks, ok pay

Cons

Favouritism is rife, some people do nothing and cruise along whilst others work hard and get no recognition. Catty environment with a lot of gossip and bullying. Working in Melbourne is like being in high school. There is the ‘in’ crowd and the ‘out’ crowd. They will find a way to get rid of you if you don’t fit in to their childish ‘culture’. Overhire then fire on mass. Something very fishy going on in this office, ask too many questions and you’re out. Run by petty, lazy, arrogant leaders. It’s ok as a transition job but don’t bother if you want an actual career.

Vend2020-05-08

May 13, 2020P&C Consultant

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I’m sorry to hear that this was your experience. Our Culture at Vend is extremely important to us and we invest a lot of time and focus in ensuring we make everyone feel included and respected and we are continuing to work on this. We don’t believe that your description around overhire then mass fire is an accurate representation of the situation we have just been through. The word ‘fire’ implies folks were doing a bad job, and they weren’t. Our changes were in response to the one of the biggest economic meltdowns in history and we are impacted just like everyone else. Through this process, we have tried to do our very best by our people and will continue to do so. All the best Elissa (People Experience Partner)

"Risk averse and conservative leadership. To many "strategy experts""

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Auckland, Auckland

I worked at Vend full-time

Pros

Awesome founder, free fruit. Friday night drinks are cool, especially the keg beer!

Cons

Leadership, in particular current acting CEO, is very risk averse and conservative, and unable to operate with less than perfect information and an over resourced team. Also has a reputation for being ineffective behind the slick slides and good game she talks. Hopefully Vend appoints a new CEO soon that is able to move quickly, operate a lean team and effectively navigate a path through these challenging times. Others in the leadership team are great, including the CMO .

Vend2020-04-12

April 20, 2020People Experience Partner

Hey there, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We certainly do have a pretty great Founder, and we love that he is still a big part of our business today. In fact, you'll often see him at Friday drinks (wind-downs as we call them) enjoying socialising with the teams. They've been virtual recently and still a lot of fun! We think our acting CEO is doing an amazing job navigating our business, and our retailers, through a global pandemic and economic crisis. We have total confidence in our CEO, our Executive team, and our leaders to get us through this global crisis and accelerate out the other side. These are certainly unprecedented times, and we know that means that not all of the projects we had planned can still go ahead right now. But there is a ton of opportunity on the other side and we're excited to be getting prepared for it once the world re-opens. At Vend, we give all our employees the opportunity to raise any concerns they may have through forums such as anonymous AMA's (ask the "Exec" anything) at our company stand ups, and an exec slack channel. We really love this open dialogue, it's a part of what makes Vend so great, and we strongly encourage all of our team to use these forums for open discussion. Best Heather (People Experience Partner)

"Amazing people"

I worked at Vend full-time

Pros

Lots of feedback and very warm and welcoming culture. Vend will foster you and it has a great culture of breaking down the barriers between departments if you put your time in.

Cons

Steep learning curve, for product and the people.

Vend2020-03-02

March 4, 2020People Experience Partner

Hey there, We think we've got a pretty great welcoming culture too. There's certainly a lot to learn at Vend, and we foster a strong learning culture to both enable new starters and develop existing employees to really thrive. Thank you for your review. Best Heather (People Experience Partner)

"Its okay"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

Start up perks, cute dogs, free snacks

Cons

Bad management, no real career path

Vend2020-02-27

March 6, 2020Talent Specialist

Hey there, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback. At Vend we do have a lot of opportunities for career development and growth. We have regular sales training and upskilling sessions, and also encourage employees to apply for any job opportunities we have internally when they are available. We will support you through the internal interview process and even if you’re not quite ready for a new role we will help provide you with the tools and work with management to create a development plan to get to that next goal. One of our core values at Vend is to Act as an Owner and this can even mean taking ownership of your development. A great way employees can take advantage of this is through our Learning and Development budget. We offer a generous Learning and Development budget to each employee every year that individuals can use to take a course, purchase books, attend a conference or get extra training to level up their experience. If you have any additional concerns or specific feedback we encourage you to reach out to PnC directly, please feel free to contact us at people-ops@vendhq.com

"Great company culture and opportunity to grow"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Vend full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of flexibility and autonomy and opportunities to develop your career

Cons

Lack of structure and resource in some areas - especially enablement and training

Vend2020-01-11

January 19, 2020People Experience Partner

Hi there, Thanks for your review and for the feedback about training for managers. This is a big focus for us this year, and we are currently in the process of designing a leadership development programme. If you'd like to know more you can reach out to your local People Experience Partner. Best Heather (People Experience Partner)

"If you want to drink beer and pretend to work, here’s the place"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Vend full-time

Pros

Nice office space, apple gear, staff kitchen, dogs

Cons

Despite talking a great deal about growth they are unable to look at the limitations of their software from a critical standpoint. If you’re friends with management you can drink beer and chat and take 3 calls a day. Half of the staff goes offline as soon as everyone higher up leaves and says things like “I don’t feel like taking calls” leaving the few who actually do stay online to answer them. I will be looking for other work soon.

Vend2019-12-11

December 16, 2019People Experience Partner

Thank you for your feedback and this review. It's great to hear you enjoy the office space and some of the perks of working at Vend. We appreciate your feedback in regards to the workload distribution and recognition within the team. We want everyone to feel like they can bring their best self to work and that they are part of a team, working towards a shared goal. Understandably, the type of work people do each day comes in different forms and isn't always obvious or quantifiable; however, we aim for transparency and a culture where you can share your feedback to help us improve or to provide better understanding. It sounds like you have a lot of valuable feedback to provide and regardless of if you're choosing to stay at Vend or looking elsewhere, we'd encourage you to reach out to your manager or P&C to share your feedback.

"Cancerous politics and a clock on cashing out"

I worked at Vend

Pros

Standard startup perks; dogs, apple gear, team outings and office parties and semi-stocked cupboards. An interesting product that’s doing a lot for an industry that needs good solutions.

Cons

Massive political problems between offices, and across, and between teams with undertrained leaders executing badly on vague plans. Constant short-shrift on benefits and pay because of poor market understanding and excuses about “creating amazing experiences.” A period of upheaval a few years ago lead to a large number of “formerly” corporate leaders being brought in to get the company back on track to cashing out, and long-term employees where burned out then chased off. The culture has never recovered as the suits traded their ties for sweater vests.

Vend2019-11-03

November 11, 2019People Experience Partner

Hey there, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear you agree that we are providing good solutions for the retail industry with our product, we love to delight our retailers and we're really proud of what we're doing. It is always a challenge having global offices with regional centres, however, Vend prides itself on how connected we all are globally and this is something we will continue to work on and improve. In our most recent engagement survey, 96% of our Venders said that they knew how their work contributed to our company goals. This was a great indication to show how aligned our teams and offices are to what we're tying to achieve. Vend has a robust remuneration process and this is tied to industry standard market data. Any Vender that is concerned about the way they are remunerated is always welcomed to discuss this with their manager and/or P&C, and this is then addressed if appropriate. As Vend has been around for 10 years now we agree we're no longer a start up, but we have maintained elements of our culture from the early days. It's really important to us that our Venders love coming to work every day, so they can do their best work, and we think this is authentic to us. Best Heather People Experience Partner

Found 133 reviews