Vend Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Vend CEO Alexander Fala
Alexander Fala

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Enjoy a genuine work-life balance and work with down to earth people every day" (in 13 reviews)

• "Flexible if you need to work from home, or take a doctors appointment" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "No real path to career development (But that is being fixed and changes are already noticeable)" (in 6 reviews)

• "Fast paced and sometimes you don't have time to slow down and think" (in 5 reviews)

"One of the most exciting opportunities you'll come across..."

Current Employee - Marketing in Auckland, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Auckland, CA

I have been working at Vend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a legit chance of becoming the best in the world at what we do, which is super inspiring and makes you jump out of bed in the morning to get to work. The projects and opportunities available to you are endless, and you can really rise within the company to whatever you're capable of.

Cons

The pace at Vend is super fast, so if you're not on the ball and on top of your game then you can get left behind. Also, you'll need to adapt well to change as the company is growing rapidly.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job of communicating with everyone about the direction of the company, the challenge will be continuing this as the company continues to grow even bigger.

2. "A company striving for success!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Vend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great vision and overall company mission. They're really focused on delighting retailers.
    One of the best open plan offices I've seen! - Helps with hotdesking and makes it easy to have ad-hoc collaboration sessions or meetings.
    An inclusive culture means there's a real effort made to accomodate all cultures, thoughts and beliefs
    Birthday Cake celebrations, social clubs and groups all make the culture even more inclusive and fun.
    Learning and Development budget!
    Vend stock options
    Coffee and snack cupboard
    Free Parking !
    Pet friendly workplace makes those stressful moments a bit more relaxing and puts a smile on your face from time to time!
    Meditation and Yoga sessions are frequently held

A seriously rewarding place if you're up for a good challenge and can help them achieve their mission. Lots of small to larger rewards that will make you want to come into work and get your work done!

Cons

It's always difficult being a startup and when you have to strive for success in all departments. It's natural to notice constant change which can be a con.
    Expectations are constantly changing - But then again which company go through this in finding their feet?

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome effort!
    Continue the open and transparent communication
    Don't be afraid to communicate when things aren't going well so expectations are made clear.

"Cool and fun place to work but very fast paced"

Former Employee - Developer in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Developer in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Vend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team culture is fantastic it is so cool and their onboarding process of all the departments etc is so good. They educate you so well how the Vend business is run etc

Cons

Onboarding is really but the onboarding process of my specific team was not that helpful.
    Fast paced and sometimes you don't have time to slow down and think.

Oct 31, 2018 – People & Culture Consultant

Hi there,

Thank you for leaving a review.

Your feedback is very valuable. If you would like to share more on your onboarding experience, please do not hesitate to reach out to your local... More

"This is definitely a lifestyle job"

I have been working at Vend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great work / life balance, a lot of flexibility.
    - Pool table and table tennis make the day worth it
    - Some really friendly people in the business, with a great social life to go with it.
    - Friday drinks we're always a blast

Cons

- Focus on extremely fast-paced growth in terms of recruitment, means that the lead spread is very thin.
    - Get on the wrong-side of management and regardless of performance you will not make probation.
    - Not much room for career growth.
    - Salary is well below industry standard in comparison to other SaaS companies in similar industries.
    - Even though there were some friendly people in the business, there was also people who were quite two-faced which you need to be wary of.
    - Work ethic isn't rewarded, Where as culture is.
    - Vend sells PoS specifically to the retail industry, The retail industry is definitely on the way out, so don't expect a massive volume of leads.
    - Expect a lot of SJWs in the office to force there opinions on you.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to setup a HR department in the Melbourne office and be more rigorous around recruitment. The excessive need for fast-paced growth has meant the business has suffered a blow to the company work ethic and culture.

Nov 6, 2018 – People & Culture Consultant

Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It is great to hear about the things you enjoy at Vend. We also appreciate you outlining things you think we could be doing better. Your... More

"Love this company and my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Vend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- major changes made in work process, the management and company as a whole
    - better benefits have been implemented for all employees through an easy to use and efficient app
    - great environment and not micro managed
    - great incentives and compensation for the work you put in
    - great training sessions of different partnerships and product development and most importantly - transparency!
    - great team leads in each department with open stand ups to know how the company is growing and what’s been achieved from individuals and teams
    - snack bar, weekly drinks, great p&c
    - all apple products and comfortable work spaces that aren’t just at your desk
    - flexible work hours if needed and opportunities to work from home but since majority people are responsible and love the job they usually always come in

Cons

I don’t have any at the moment

Advice to Management

Continue the great job and focus on bringing in people who will help grow the company

Sep 30, 2018 – People & Culture Consultant

Thank you for you review!

We are so pleased you are enjoying being here at Vend. Keep up the good work and if you need anything do not hesitate to reach out to your local People Experience... More

6. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Vend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great company with opportunities.
    - Great office spaces.
    - Dogs
    - Full food cupboard
    - Apple gadgets

Cons

- With a growing company comes growing pains.
    - Start-up mentality vs Corporate mentality clash

Advice to Management

With a growing company comes growing pains. It would be great if the great culture that Vend has does not get left behind

Aug 16, 2018 – People & Culture Consultant

Hi!

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We are glad you are enjoying your time here and some of the office perks also! We appreciate you leaving feedback around growth. There... More

7. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Vend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Vend provides a lot of flexibility and resources to give everyone the opportunity to earn promotions and work your way up.
    - Great culture and easy to get a long with the team and be yourself - Hope to keep in touch with many former colleagues. This includes work flexibility.
    - Great location and office space, pool table/table tennis table and lounge area. Weekly lunch's got better and better!
    - Very approachable team and great opportunity to learn from others.
    - The general vibe is great especially when targets are reached - business is growing. I hope the dress up days/themes continue!

Cons

- Remuneration package is well below the industry standard despite it being 'worked on'.
    - Promises were never kept. My advice is to go with your gut feel and plan for the worst.
    - The hiring process pre 2018 was quite careless. (Has been better more recently)
    - Not much structure in fairness of lead spread.
    - Not very fast paced - many don't speak up or at all, and this can cause friction when something needs to be addressed.
    - Ideas/job opportunities aren't always communicated well from all levels.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an HR presence in Melbourne. I believe many colleagues shared this opinion.
    Business experience/credentials and market knowledge should be of higher priority rather than simple 'retail experience in a shoe shop' - this will bring in more higher achievers.
    Real incentives need to be put in place for higher prioritised work.
    internal promotions/opportunities for hard workers/high achievers will produce more productivity and revenue. Vend should invest in marketing, product updates/add ons and lead generation to help gain revenue and gain a competitive advantage rather than hiring more employees to 'share the workload'. A solution based selling approach is required.
    Response times need to be quicker and action needs to be taken when employees are given surveys or when they raise a point.

"So glad to be out of this cesspool"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Vend full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very little. Not a modicum of respect for hard working employees and an "old boys" mentality. If you like being bribed with snacks and refurbished technology, this jobs for you!

Cons

-Harassment, bullying, and duress every single day
    -The hardworking employees get singled out and thrown under the bus while the ones who maintain a great relationship with upper management slide under the radar

Advice to Management

You guys are lucky I didn't make this a legal issue. What I experienced at your company was despicable and there's a reason your employees don't stay. Get your act together, you're a sad excuse for a company. Good luck to you! Alex, you can stay blind to these issues in your Toronto office for as long as you want but you're part of the problem.

Jul 19, 2018 – People & Culture Consultant

Hey there,

We take our mission to have a world-class company culture at Vend seriously. We can assure that we have a zero-tolerance policy for harassment and bullying. We are very concerned that... More

"Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Vend full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice looking, open concept office
    - Apple gear
    - Liquor runs

Cons

- Clueless management
    - No direction
    - Rude co workers

Advice to Management

You have a sorry excuse for a company. You're going downhill, and fast. Your training methods are terrible. No one should fall for the fake friend-like behaviour of the staff in this office. They don't deserve your trust, time, or effort. No self-respecting professional would waste their time here. That's why you can't keep your staff in the Toronto office.

Jul 19, 2018 – People & Culture Consultant

Hi there

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is unfortunate that you didn't feel you received training that worked for you. We strive to provide a great learning environment for everyone and... More

"Nothing is perfect but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Vend full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Definitely more pros than cons and I love working at Vend. That being said, there are ups and downs but I'm sure the same can be said about even the best companies.

- Opportunity for growth
    - Casual environment, easy to get along with people
    - Dogs in office
    - Generally a very good level of respect between people in different departments (e.g. support vs engineering)
    - Hard work is often rewarded
    - Few barriers to developing skills in new areas
    - Get to work on a great product using the latest and greatest technological practices
    - Open to hiring people from all sorts of backgrounds (e.g. non-university educated engineers)
    - Often can develop a good relationship with lower level management who do care about you and your goals

Cons

- Things can move slowly at times though hiring rates have increased to help improve this.
    - Disconnect between quarterly and long term goals - great vision but difficult to see how we get there.
    - Some teams lacked good senior management and leadership but this is improving.
    - Attempts to address deficiencies in company culture are often short-sighted.
    - Can be an echo chamber at times. You're encouraged to speak up but upper management hasn't yet developed a culture where you could do so without feeling like you may be judged for your opinions.
    - People & Culture sounds better than HR but the trope of HR having the company's interests above its employees remain.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the long-term goals, find ways to keep them relevant on a shorter scale for everyone. Encourage free and open discussion on sensitive topics where all feedback is valued equally. Make sure the company values extend below the surface. Keep addressing the problems that come up in engagement surveys until they are resolved and welcome input from everyone and not just managers.

May 30, 2018 – People & Culture Consultant

Thank you taking the time to write a review! We are always interested to read what our current Venders have to say!

We have taken on your feedback and can assure you P&C and the Management team... More