Venmo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great job, great benefits"

I have been working at Venmo full-time

Pros

Young startup feel with the stability of a company that's been around forever. Great management style. Is empowering and encouraging of developing your skills through classes and tuition reimbursement. Awesome perks.

Cons

I gained 15 lbs because of all the free food.

2. "Company Culture is Changing as it Grows"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are certainly many perks that make Venmo a great place to work - free catered lunches every day as well as a large selection of free snacks and beverages. That alone can save one bunches of money each year. Also, the hourly pay rate for representatives is better than most of the other comparable job listings I've seen in Chicago. The workforce is overwhelmingly young and social, making it that much easier to go to work each day.

Cons

While the culture is easy-going, it's clear that culture is changing quickly, particularly within Support. Like in any company, rapid growth leads to a change in the quality of candidates that are brought on board, as well as an uptick in micromanagement by managers trying to control a rapidly growing team. This includes a workforce management team that's monitoring personal schedules and break time. It's difficult to feel motivated when it doesn't feel like you're trusted by management to do your job (even with a strong positive record).

There's also a mandatory weekend rotation for any normal Monday through Friday reps, that has you working every 5-6 weekends (from home) , sometimes more often based on need. It's not the end of the world, but certainly an annoyance for someone who values their weekends and work-life balance.

Advice to Management

It's clear management is trying their best to remain open to feedback to improve employees' experiences. Knowing this, I'd suggest the following:

-If individual employees are in some way not performing their duties, deal with those individuals directly instead of changing policy on a team-wide scale. It makes your workforce feel unappreciated and expendable. Even if they are, you don't want them to feel that way as it will negatively affect your bottom line.

-Don't be dismissive when concerns are raised by members of the team. Everyone on the team wants the company to succeed, and is turning to you for help with things they don't have the ability to change.

-Remember what made this place so fun to work at a few years ago, and try to not stray too far from that path.

3. "Nice place Good pay but the staff is shady"

I worked at Venmo full-time

Pros

Mac computers and free lunch

Cons

attendance policy is unreasonable and they lie about the expectations

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Venmo full-time

Pros

The benefits, people, popular product

Cons

Some strange company practices and management has changed too much

5. "Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Venmo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PayPal benefits and great co-workers. They have a vision. The app is popular enough. I've already given my letter of resignation.

Cons

Inexperienced leadership and extreme micro management makes the culture feel like a prison. Compared to other payment apps, Venmo has more catching up to do. I wouldn't be surprised if PayPal dissolved the company

Advice to Management

Expect a higher volume of employee turnover. Everyone seems to be drunken with authority and sensitive to feedback.

"Not a startup, can't ship product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Venmo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Venmo is populated by nice/smart people and wins points on the benefits, location, and office environment (snacks, nooks, couches) fronts. Everyone is well meaning and intelligent. Free lunch anyone? Wii in conference rooms? This is the spot.

Cons

It pretends to be a startup - with the cute payment-jaron conference rooms, twee-office aesthetic, and infinite berry-budget - but it does not innovate or ship product and is run from the top-down by PayPal. Venmo leadership is ineffectual at best, jaded/lazy puppets at worst. They've tried and failed to launch the same path-to-profitable product for 3 years, only to be passed over by bigger/better players who can actually launch product. Venmo is a great tool and (was) a great team. Everyone good has left. Squandered opportunity.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves. Or I'd love to eat my words and see you win in the profitable payments space.

7. "Support Specialist"

I have been working at Venmo full-time

Pros

Location and open line of communication between all departments.

Cons

Hardly any chance of progressing beyond the role you hold.

Advice to Management

Like any other tech company, there's a desire to improve the product but can't necessarily say the same for improving the workforce.

8. "Great job with great benefits"

I have been working at Venmo (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks makes it all worth while. I mean, it's customer service, which in general is a pretty nerve wrecking job. However, I feel that they try their hardest to compensate for the constant complaints by having an open bar, game room, catered food literally everyday. Oh, did I fail to mention that you get to work from home with the MacBook pro they give to you?! As well as travel reimbursement. What job has those kind of perks? I'll wait....

Cons

None, really. Maybe not be on the phones as long as they have us on there...

"Venmo is not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Product Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great product, and there are some exciting fun projects to work on. The flexibility with hours and remote/WFH is also pretty great.

Cons

A lot of projects are focused on compliance. A lot of projects get deprioritized halfway through and something you've spent so much time working on is just put on hold indefinitely. There's very little respect for all the engineers, PMs, designers who are doing the real work. They call us workers. All the attention and money is focused on the managers, and increasingly there is a culture of do-what-your-manager-says and less of the proactive, do what you think is right. More and more of the original Venmoers are gone, and the PayPal influence is strong.

Advice to Management

Stop dictating everything top down, and prioritize the people who are not managers. Those who are closer to the product know better what is important in the product, so don't make decisions and force them to go through with it.

"Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and a very open environment. Leadership is very accessible and always willing to answer questions. They listen, care, and keep people informed. The office has the best perks in Chicago!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating as we grow.