Venmo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Venmo General Manager Amit Jhawar
Amit Jhawar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Venmo has seen a lot of success over the past few years. The product continues to grow and gain popularity. Never a dull moment at Venmo.

Cons

Change is constant. Things move quickly at Venmo, and are constantly changing (maybe not a terrible thing).

Advice to Management

Keep improving the product and investing in the team.

2. "I love working here"

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to work at an industry leader, especially in the exciting world of payments. Venmo has many of the benefits of working at a start up (free food, flexible hours, remote work, swag) but at a public company (PayPal).

Cons

Lots of management changes, which I hope won't change the culture.

Advice to Management

Leadership could do a better job at communicating with teams, both in terms of hearing feedback and providing information.

Venmo Response

Oct 15, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review!

3. "Good call center"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch or dinner

Best pay for easy work

Good bennies

Cons

As in any large corporation, you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Done speak to employees like you do the customers

4. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture and diversity initiatives, great people and work/life balance

Cons

Strict internal rules, sometimes hard to get promoted

Advice to Management

Keep up good work

Venmo Response

Oct 15, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review!

5. "Pretty Good"

Pros

Great team, product was awesome.

Cons

Post-paypal slowdown and lack of new features being released, a lot of people were also leaving.

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative

I have been working at Venmo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Co-Workers
    They provide free, snacks, lunch and a Mac book computer
    Good pay

Cons

Management is non-existent
    You have not personal or free time
    If you are a minority (person of color) or woman good luck getting any say
    Very high-stress work environment, they want you to be the best without providing you any teachings, simply that you fail, you've failed forever

"Run FAST"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Venmo (More than a year)

Pros

The pros is that they feed you, and start you off with great pay, but that's about it!

Cons

I have never left a bad reveiw about a company, and sadly I have to do so. The downside to working with this company is that no one knows that their doing. Not even upper management! I was employed as a Customer Support Representative, and often we were forced to figure out things on our own because no none knew where or how to fix anything. Also, the system broke down at leasst five to seven times during the week. Everything goes haywire often, because the systems in place currently aren't effective.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to learn the industry before you take on a role to teach it. You can't teach someone something that you are being taught yourself. Your agents shouldn't be more knowledgeable than you are!

"Great place to work - requires upwards management"

I have been working at Venmo full-time

Pros

You own your own path. There aren't many restrictions on work hours / time off if you're getting your work done. PayPal is a great employer.

Cons

Management can feel absent at times.
    You can get pulled into fires on a somewhat regular basis.

"Awesome place to work, awful management"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Venmo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate, interesting, creative people working there in support as reps and as leads. Learned a lot from my lead. When I started I came from an unrelated field with no tech experience. Very modern and creative office with a cool vibe. A lot of benefits in the Chicago office - reimbursement of CTA, free lunch/breakfast daily, free kombucha, coffee, cold brew, fully stocked bar with beers on tap, fun office environment (a lot of times we played beer pong or flip cup on Fridays). Company parties and holiday parties are always at a great place. Pay is generous for the starting roles - significantly more than you'd be paid at any other entry level support role.

Cons

Upper management in the support office in Chicago...period. Little to no support provided to support reps and middle management - yet high expectations. There was such a large gap between the support reps and leads and upper management that it made working there unbearable. Things were always changing but never properly communicated, which created confusion and chaos. Each of the high level managers at Venmo has demonstrated glaring red flags for why they don't belong in people management. None of them are particularly skilled with managing people. Employees are afraid to speak up because upper management can be vindictive or respond to serious concerns with dismissal or vague and empty claims to address the issue. The issues are almost never addressed the way they should be, until the entire company speaks up and demands change (which did happen at one point). Upper management demands very specific numbers and results from support leads, but hilariously enough, they don't know much about the product themselves. As an example, when each of these managers were asked to do a "day of phones" or a "day of emails" for fun, they sat by all of the support reps. We watched them do our job. One manager wasn't sure how to take notes after a phone call and save them, or how to add a tag to categorize the call - they had to ask a rep. The irony was this same manager was insisting the support reps summarize and take notes after a phone call in 1.5 minutes or less. They were also demanding 10 calls per hour, yet not one of the managers was able to produce that while acting as a customer support rep. To me, if you're in a management position, you should know the product and processes like the back of your hand. If you are demanding specific results from your team, you should be able to deliver those same results. I do want to note that there is a very high level manager above the upper managers who is a wonderful, sincere and professional person. No one ever had a bad word to say (that I ever heard) and they are respected in the office. Unfortunately, they were not as directly involved in Venmo's day to day and we were directed to go to the managers who worked on our side.

Advice to Management

Do an overhaul and hire high level supervisors who know how to manage people.

Listen to your employees when they report concerns. Do something. Don't dismiss it or put a bandaid on it by giving the team treats to show "appreciation". $2 ice cream bars only go so far, and we see through it. Listen. Be sincere and transparent. Make the team feel like they are well supported and valued with actions rather than empty promises and lack of communication.

"Great product. Toxic management team running the business and company culture into the ground. Stay away!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Venmo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The teams on the ground are great, passionate and fun to work with. Morale is dwindling, but people want the product to succeed.
    - The product has been very fun to work on and the user base loves Venmo.
    - PayPal compensation is industry average, but the stability and perks are good.

Cons

- Management team is horrendous... dysfunctional, has no vision for the business, arrogant, and running it into the ground. While Venmo has had a number of bad heads of engineering, product, GMs, etc... the current regime is the absolute worst group of “leaders” this company has been exposed to. As long as they are leading the company, stay far far away. They are toxic.
    - A true lack of vision... PayPal wants Venmo to be PayPal 2.0. And there are 27 different opinions inside Venmo of what it should be. There is no alignment on where the business or product is headed, or criteria to determine which projects get prioritized. This lack of clarity and guidance causes an enormous amount of dysfunction.
    - Optimizing for PayPal’s quarterly earnings... Venmo is a growth business, but is managed like a publicly traded 20+ year old software company. Budgeting processes, business goals, project prioritization, everything is built to optimize PayPal’s quarterly earnings results. It has led to an incredibly reactionary type of management and churn, and has destroyed morale on the teams.

Advice to Management

Replace the mgmt team with one that is experienced and passionate about the product ASAP. Give Venmo some autonomy to grow, or spin it off from PayPal inc. The current structure is unsustainable, and unfair to users, employees and shareholders who are expecting great things from Venmo.