Ventana Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 8, 2016

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel L. Zabrowski

Pros
  • The company is truly passionate about its mission of helping the patients afflicted with cancer (in 4 reviews)

• Company's mission, improving diagnostic for cancer patients, really motivates you to work harder (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost no intern is offered a full time position due to his/her internship (in 4 reviews)

• What else do you want me to do, fly down to Tucson (in 3 reviews)

"Toxic culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive for the area and the parking lot is very large so there is often plenty of parking

Cons

Turnover is abysmal (over 30% a year)
    As a result of turnover they depend on contractors - using staffing agencies to find warm bodies
    Toxic behavior from top-down - openly insulting and demeaning employees in front of teams

Advice to Management

Difficult to do since you are in a weak position with regard to recruiting qualified people, but you need to clean house.

2. "Good Company until it Wasn't"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Ventana Medical as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This review is for work at Ventana Digital in Mountain View, CA. I've heard better things about the main campus in Tucson, AZ.

At first I had high hopes about this position. Everyone there was really friendly. Seemed like a good place to work. I was a contractor, but I was assured that my position would become full-time. I liked the projects that I was working on and I did learn a lot while I was there. This was definitely a good step in my career progression.

Cons

I started to really dislike the micro-management of my department. If I didn't respond to an email within like an hour I'd get a knock on my cube. But if I sent an email to a manager, I'd have to send *two* before they would respond. I found this to be immature and a sign of poor leadership. The management also weren't that good; there were a few missteps they had with the FDA which ended up getting our product release delayed. But as far as I know, no managers were let go over this. Just the employees.

The managers, in my opinion, were not leaders. It was up to me to ask my managers for more work. That's fine, I'm use to managing myself. But, when they were busy and didn't have time for a meeting it was somehow my fault that I didn't have enough work... Umm, I left you a voicemail and emailed you. What else do you want me to do, fly down to Tucson?

The department meetings were a joke. Because it's a company that's growing, I was often pulled into meetings just because I was 'technically' part of the group, but I had no functional relationship to the other people in our group and what they were working on. I voiced my opinion of this (I have a lot of experience in this industry that could've streamlined processes) but to no avail. There were at least 3 of these meetings per week. That's $150/week of my time and your money that was being wasted. Over a year, that's $7,200 of my salary being spent on meetings that I don't have to attend. Multiply that by a few other people and you can see where these types of expenses can add up.

I was let go as part of a round of lay-offs after work on a Wednesday. Nice, huh? No severance, no warning. I couldn't even get my things from my cube; they were mailed to me. My manager didn't have the decency to tell me, I got a call from someone in HR instead. The companies product wasn't working as intended and had nothing to do with me. You'd think they would treat their employees better when it wasn't there fault, but not at Ventana. That's another thing, they said that because Ventana was a part of Roche, if Ventana wasn't working out you would be able to apply to jobs at Roche or Genentech. Which is true (from a certain point of view); you get laid-off and then you have to apply again to those companies.

If you take a job here, don't be afraid to apply to jobs at other companies every few months. It's good to have something just in case.

Advice to Management

Start being leaders. Stop micro-managing. Cut it out with all the unnecessary meetings. Send out meeting agenda's with bullet-points so that you know when you're getting off track and you have time for everything you want to discuss. Hire competent Regulatory Affairs professionals so that you don't have setbacks caused by not following FDA guidelines. If you can't afford to pay employees Bay Area salaries, move out of the Bay Area.

"Ventana Imaging group at sunnyvale"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Ventana Medical as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, an Indian company. Not very technical.

Cons

Low pay, no options, no bonus.

"Great potential, but needs to clean house"

Former Employee - Engineer in Oro Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Oro Valley, AZ

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong cultural beliefs
    Strong science community

Cons

Limited vision for future, especially engineering
    Cultural beliefs come off as lip service or used to make a point
    Management does not lead, and does not listen to tacticle feedback from employees
    Imature product developement process
    Limited growth potential

Advice to Management

With over 1/2 of the engineering population leaving the company over the last 1.5 years, it would be apparent that something is not working. Launch delays and frustrated employees are a direct result of micro-management without the skills and knowledge to be able to execute a developement program. Most of those who have left were tired of being ignored and undervalued while watching schedules slip further and further to the right.

6. "Not optimistic about the company's future in Tucson"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Ventana Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great campus
    - Perks such as having a cafe and nurse on site
    - Health benefits are some of the best I have seen

Cons

- No room for advancement
    - Company is moving many jobs to its headquarters across the company
    - Many people in positions they are not qualified for; got in before Roche took over and there were no degree requirement. This hinders people trying to advance their careers.
    - Most of the time there is already someone they have in mind before a job is posted
    - Upper Management is not transparent at all, can not believe what you are told most of the time.

Advice to Management

- Treat all employees with respect
    - Help employees who are reaching out for assistance with career development - be mentors

7. "Not quite draconian but getting close"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Ventana Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job with benefits in Tucson, nice overall facility, coworkers in departments outside of Operations (manufacturing) seem to be much happier and more or less content.

Cons

Operations management has adopted a Dickensian attitude towards the workers and staff. Not a very pleasant work environment, almost no chance for advancement or raises, no bonuses below scientist level but helltopay if the quota isn't met by department and if that means you'll pull long (uncompensated ) days to hit their bonus numbers... oh well. Overall >very unimpressive.
    Starting the structural organizational dissassembly of the franchise that is pretty typical of big pharma.

"Don't believe the promises."

I have been working at Ventana Medical full-time

Pros

Decent pay for Tucson, where there are not many large employers. Benefits are actually pretty good.

Cons

Work/life balance can be questionable, depending on your manager. Too many directors and VP's means that the company is too top-heavy and not enough focus is on what is actually going on. Quality is spouted as something very important, but it is frequently sacrificed for profit. There are no career opportunities for hard working employees, though if you are willing to dive into the politics and social aspects of the company, you can move up quickly, regardless of your qualifications. The cultural beliefs are something else that are propped up as important, but again, if you actually practice them, you get nowhere, especially if you bring up anything negative (such as potential issues). Finally, there are certain members of HR that seem to have it out for certain employees. Instead of being fair, they are totally and completely biased and they are never wrong in their own eyes. If you get on their bad side, you will not be treated well at the company and you will not get the promotions you deserve.

Advice to Management

This is more to Mara: get rid of the bad seeds in both management and HR. All they are doing is hurting the company more and more each day and pushing away the best employees. Actually focus on quality instead of just saying it. Our customers can tell the difference and when they start leaving, it will not matter how much product is produced.

"So So Company. Still acts like a start up at times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Good compensation, and benefits. Good feeling of working on products that help people. Hope that Roche comes in and cleans things up.

Cons

Poor choices made by senior management. Trying to do too much with too few people results in people being overworked. Yields to high turnover of talented people.

Advice to Management

Focus on core competency and farm out the rest. Stop getting into a bad spot where you need to go around the process. Do things right from the start.

"disappoved"

Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Cancer research is great for people fighting cancer, they work to improve patients life

Cons

The management chain of command has issues

Advice to Management

The management chain of command has issues, responsiblity and requirements poor flow down the top goals are clear but responsiblity to get there has issues

"Better with Roche in charge"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The impact to the practice of medicine and the focus on the benefit to the patient. There are many dedicated, driven and passionate professionals that are focused on advancing the diagnosis of treatment. Overall in the working ranks of the company, there is a good level of professional respect. There is definitely a feeling of an up and coming company that is poised for great growth. With the acquisition by Roche, Ventana should be able to leverage Roche's reputation and commitment to science to increase their product offering. I think that Chris Gleeson's personality and leadership are big plus for Ventana.

Cons

While I was there the Sales departments where the leaders of the organization. This was troubling for the R&D department's commitment to deliver science that delivered clinical benefit. The sales sole focus on the quarter's numbers dominated all decisions and lead to short-sighted gains at the expense of long term strategy. The sales force were very aware of the position in the company and frequently "threw their weight around". Interdepartmental effectiveness was limited due their compensation being tied to competing factors that were not strategically aligned. Their were a lot of pet projects that received the departments first attention instead the projects that were consistent with the strategy of the company.

Advice to Management

Ensure that everyone is aligned with the strategic goals