Venue Magazine Reviews | Glassdoor

Venue Magazine Reviews

2.4
Steve Wanamaker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Gorgeous Magazine & Nice Employees"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

Pros

The quality of this magazine is unlike no other. In this day in age it is very unusual to see the caliber of product produced by VENUE. The team is truly committed to the process and they deliver a beautiful and extremely premium magazine. It's no wonder that CEO's and the who's who enjoy this magazine from front to back. The articles are great too with fun fashion advice and updates on just about everything. LOVE the magazine and love the co.

Cons

None to share at this point.

2. "Art Director"

I have been working at Venue Magazine full-time

Pros

it was a Family Owned business

Cons

The magazine is now closed

"Writer"

I worked at Venue Magazine part-time

Pros

Great for gaining editorial experience

Cons

Not so great in salary. And if you're a recent grad, good luck in trying to get paid. They expect a lot of quality work but aren't willing to pay for it. Family based business.

"The Owners Responses Speak for Themselves"

Pros

There are positives but they are grossly outweighed by Steve. You do get paid and you will gets some feathers in your cap.

Cons

Steve is the worst kind of human being. Don't take my word for it. Read his responses to other reviews below. They really do speak for themselves and give great insight into the sad little twisted mind of his. It's fascinating that he's so oblivious to what others really think of him.

Steve actually likes me (I think). But I've grown tired of seeing him abuse so many good young talented people who are just getting their start.

He is completely out of touch with today's world. Misogyny runs rampant in this little kingdom of his and it's amazing the EEOC hasn't put a stop to it yet.

Advice to Management

That would require management to care what people think. They don't care.

May 3, 2016 – CEO

Recently we've terminated a few employees, and a day or two later a very brutal review on Glassdoor appears. We take no joy as a company in terminating an employee relationship. We invest money... More

"Steve is a master manipulator and the Devil in human form."

I worked at Venue Magazine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office staff (minus the owner, Steve) are enjoyable to work with however everyone is on pins and needles wondering when Steve is going to rear his ugly head. The perks he offers (Restaurant gift cards, flights etc...) are nice however once you accept them he owns you! If you welcome being micromanaged 24/7 than this job is for you. If 60+ hour work weeks are what you are looking for (plus Steve's late night and early morning meetings and phone calls) than this job is for you! If being humiliated and degraded in public is your cup of tea than most definitely this company is for you!

Cons

Where to begin? I want to warn and keep others from making the biggest mistake of their lives like I did by working for this sociopath!

I did some research and looked at reviews of other magazines in Venue's demographic. These are magazines that most of the population has heard of. (unlike Venue) Their companies are highly recommended by former employees. What does that tell you? These reviews about Venue aren't fake! Working for a magazine can be enjoyable hence the reviews I read for Cincinnati Magazine and Cincy Magazine. Cincinnati Magazine has a 100% recommendation from former employees!!

I urge you to read the responses from the owner, Steve, to the reviews written on here. He belittled a former employees by degrading her for position at her current job. Professionalism doesn't exists at Venue. The owner is a sexist pig.

Steve prides himself on giving employees 6 weeks of paid vacation. The likelihood of being able to use these days off are slim to none! If you do manage to take a day off Steve will blow your phone up so you actually end up working more from home than if you would have just gone into the office. The only week of vacation he typically leaves you alone is the week between Christmas and New Years. Even then if he wants something done during that time he will not hesitate to get ahold of you and make you do it in a timely fashion!

While you are in the office if Steve calls you with an issue or just wants something done (no matter the severity) it has to be done 'right now!!' What you are working on when he calls is irrelevant! I once heard him tell an employees that they couldn't go to the bathroom until they were finished with the project he had asked them to do!

Steve makes you feel like your job is always in jeopardy. He coined the phrase, "You are replaceable!" The stress that is endured by employees thinking that they are going to lose their job every second of every day is ridiculous! Working at Venue literally takes years off of your life!

Steve is a master manipulator! I will hand it to him, he is an awesome salesman however, he plays dirty! He will say or promise anything to get a sale and may or may not follow through. I overheard him tell our event planner to give a C-Suite Award to whomever will buy a table!? That is wrong on so many levels! The awards are a joke. They are just a money maker for the company. It was at that moment that I went from hating my job to being embarrassed to work for the company!

I could go on and on but I believe I have painted a pretty vivid picture. If you accept a job at Venue you will be working for the Devil himself!

Advice to Management

Stop using your so called "Christian values" to try to get ahead in the business world! People are starting to see through you! There will come a day when you will have to give an answer for your slimy actions! Close down your subpar magazine! Track down the thousands of people you have belittled, manipulated, wasted their time and stolen from! Get on your hands and knees and apologize to them begging them for their forgiveness. Put applications in at McDonalds as a dishwasher or a retirement home changing diapers because those are the only kinds of jobs you deserve!

May 3, 2016 – CEO

It is unfortunate that we had to eliminate your position. We're truly very sorry you didn't like your work with us or your experience. But we hope the job we offered you when you had no former... More

"Beware"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Venue Magazine part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The editors are great women and the publication is aesthetically pleasing.

Cons

Reading the CEO's responses to the negative reviews on this site will tell you everything you need to know about his character. He is especially degrading to women, as evidenced in these responses, but this trait carries over into his friendlier moods as well. He had me transcribe personal letters (no reason he can't write a note to a local doctor about how much fun he had on their recent vacation together himself.. He wanted me to hand deliver this to the hospital, btw). He also lacks boundaries, for example he offended me immensely by offering to find me a rich boyfriend.

Advice to Management

Bullying and belittling employees both current and former is a show of weakness, not strength.

Apr 29, 2016 – CEO

This is the second post (10/11/2013, 4/21/2016) from a former disgruntled editorial assistant (which was a nice title we gave to interns), who worked for us three years ago. This person only worked... More

"Horrible environment. Toxic CEO pollutes the company."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Venue Magazine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you count the amount of booze offered as compensation for being overwork a pro, then sure. Since its a 20 character minimum here I'll just fill it with what you've just read so I could proceed to submit.

Cons

CEO is a waste of a human being
    CEO is a bully
    CEO is degrating
    Basically the CEO is everything wrong with the company

Advice to Management

You'll never be the #1 magazine in The world, let alone Cincinnati. What you produce is lame and your content is worse. The ONLY positive of your "product" is the photography you outsource. I have advice for management but it's rated R and not safe for little kids to read.

For those reading this, I guarantee Wannamaker's response will be of the nature: blah blah time off for employees, blah blah incentive (tries to buy you with alcohol or some B.S. Gift card to honey baked ham). He'll undoubtedly brag about sales and how he's constantly grown, but neglect to mention that retention is so low due to his constant belittling of employees, they either quit or he fires them for the dumbest reasons.

Stay away from this radioactive place. You'll be poisoned to death.

Apr 29, 2016 – CEO

2016 Update: In five and a half years, we've had three full time people resign, and this reviewer is one of them. And this person went on to post not one, not two, not three - but four times on this... More

8. "Great"

Current Employee - Editor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Editor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Venue Magazine (More than a year)

Pros

friendly space and people... love it

Cons

no have cons...everething is fine

Apr 16, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I'm glad your experience with Venue Media is a positive one.

"**Heed the warnings on this site. This is a toxic company.**"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Venue Magazine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, wonderful creative, hardworking individuals who deserve better. The employees who have been with this company for over a year should be commended for their accomplishment. They bond through mutual misery and it is impressive that they have survived this long in such an abusive environment.

Cons

The owner is a manipulative and sexist micro-manager. There is a reason why the majority of his employees are either young impressionable women, or beta males who are easily bulldozed.

Employees are overworked, underpaid, and pressured to consume lots of alcohol to relieve stress - the owner is even happy to provide inappropriate amounts of alcohol as a "gift" or reward for working so hard (50-60 hours per week in a normal week).

The positive reviews on Glassdoor are most likely manufactured from the company itself, don't trust them, they're not accurate. A friend visited me at the office once to drop something off and raised concern shortly after because he said the feeling when you walk in the offices at Venue are that all employees are stressed to the point of breaking and/or frightened.

Manipulations are evident even in the owner's responses on Glassdoor. He's slimy and is accustomed to finding and taking advantage of the vulnerable.

Advice to Management

Hire seasoned professionals instead of young impressionable recent grads who have little to no experience to compare. Seasoned professionals would not tolerate the kind of abuse that is the day-to-day working with Venue.

Seek professional help - you very well may be a sociopath.

Apr 29, 2016 – CEO

10. "Energetic, fast growing company in a fantastic market"

Current Employee - Digital and Custom Media Editor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Digital and Custom Media Editor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Venue Magazine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great energy working at Venue. The staff is young and excited to be working here. The president and publisher always make sure you feel listened to, the atmosphere is very collaborative and friendly and the salary and benefits in the form of paid time off can't be beat in the industry. If you want to work at a big company where you have no say in the process and you can't innovate, then don't come here. But this job allows you total freedom to offer ideas, explore new revenue streams and develop yourself. In time, it will become the best media company in Cincinnati--I have no doubt.

Cons

Not a lot. If you are mentally tough, stay out of office politics and keep your focus on your goals, then you will be successful. If you are impatient and headstrong and refuse to compromise, this might not be the place for you. But if you are willing to do what is asked and wait for your opportunity, you will excel. The company is what you make of it, and you will get out what you bring in. I've seen people bring negativity into the office and that's their experience when they leave. I try to bring in energy, a focus on my work and a positive mindset, and I feel like I'm really building something with my own two hands. That isn't a feeling you get very often in the modern world, and it's honestly thrilling. Plus, if you have the right mindset you can learn more here in a month than you would learn most places in a year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep the place young and full of energy!

Jan 22, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all reviews left on Glassdoor because they help us to continue growing as a company. We really appreciate the positive comments you have about your... More