Verbatim Advisory Group Reviews | Glassdoor

John Strehle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Solid First Job"

I worked at Verbatim Advisory Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty decent job for people straight out of college looking for office experience. Cold calling but not in a sales role so people are typically not too rude on the phone. Definitely can look pretty good on a resume. Small, casual office where most people are in the same role as you or were previously. Never really asked to work overtime or take the job home with you in any way. Easy enough job and can make solid money on monthly bonuses if you put in average effort. Room for advancement if you demonstrate that you understand what they're doing overall as a company beyond just your daily tasks.

Cons

Projects get repetitive sometimes. Phone based work is not necessarily for everyone. Their sister company disregards Verbatim and forces certain aspects on them like vacation and benefits that would otherwise be more attractive if it were run as its own company.

Advice to Management

Try to tone down the micro-management somewhat (it's generally fine but some people can be overbearing). Try to get more autonomy from the sister company - management seems to know how to make it a more attractive work place but has their hands tied.

Nov 14, 2016 – Company Management

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

2. "Market Researcher"

I worked at Verbatim Advisory Group full-time

Pros

There is nothing good about working here except that I made a few good friends.

Cons

No room for advancement, the job description told and what we actually do is different. We are not treated well by management. I would never recommend anyone to work there.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees and stop trying to control them.

Jul 17, 2017 – Company Management

Based on the most recent anonymous employee feedback survey completed in May 2017, 94% of the team felt the job was explained properly and that the Research Associate position met or exceeded their... More

"Great place to work if you don't want to be respected by managers!"

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Verbatim Advisory Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay isn't horrible if you get hired directly, especially since the work is so boring. You can bonus every month if you get enough surveys. You get experience with Microsoft Outlook, Access, Excel, and Word. Most of the other research associates are really awesome people.

Cons

The work is so incredibly monotonous and boring. The management is the worst I have ever worked for as far as giving no respect to research associates, especially since most of them are temps. Speaking of which, they let go of temps constantly with no warning. What's worse is that before each person was let go, they had a meeting with a manager to "help them". Management treats you like you're replaceable and do not care about you, your life, or anything going on. They only care that you're there and punching the phones constantly. Management also talks negatively about former employees, which is extremely inappropriate and goes to show they don't care about their employees at all. Managers also love to say they were in the research position before, but what they don't tell you is that it was many years ago, things have changed tremendously, and they refuse to accept and acknowledge that the job is harder than it used to be.

Advice to Management

Management needs to practice what they preach. They are always either gossiping about other employees, on their personal cell phones, or out on 2 hour lunch breaks. All managers need to communicate about work more and get on the same page so the research associates know what they need from them. Management also really needs to stop talking negatively about current and former employees as if they did nothing for the company. Finally, management needs to accept responsibility for things rather than blaming it on others.

Nov 14, 2016 – Company Management

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a positive and transparent environment for all employees, so we’re disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. We’d like to offer... More

"Meh"

I worked at Verbatim Advisory Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, but that's only because of how simple the job is. It also comes with the territory of low compensation.

Cons

Very cheap owner who refuses to invest in the company, this company is a subsidiary of another he owns and merely a cash flow for him.

The management team is completely inept, and none of them would be managers at a good company with real ambitions.

Pay is crap. You're better off being unemployed and devoting all your time to finding a job than wasting your time here.

Advice to Management

You are the problem. The company will never be better than its weakest links.

Nov 14, 2016 – Company Management

Thank you for your feedback. As of 2016, entry-level salaries start at $19/Hr or $40K per year. Monthly performance bonuses range from $100 - $700. Above average performers also receive 5% of... More

"Researcher"

Former Employee - Researcher in Waltham, MA

Pros

Good environment, nice people. You can learn about various industries through the different projects. The work life balance was great - rarely was there a 40+ hr work week

Cons

Little room for growth, not a ton to learn about besides the set of ongoing projects so gets old after a while.

Advice to Management

Create a better system for people to grow at the company and broaden their skillset. Increase the base salaries for longer tenured employees. Basically give better raises to entice people to stay

Nov 11, 2016 – Company Management

We appreciate your feedback on the work environment and wish you well in your new position.

"Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Verbatim Advisory Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is pretty laid back because they really don't want you to feel like it's a telemarketing job (that it partly is). Everyone here is friendly and willing to help out. That's definitely the biggest positive, how understanding and helpful people are, including management. They really want you to feel comfortable and doors are always open. Also it's a young group of people working, so it makes you feel better you're all in the same miserable boat.

Cons

But besides that...it is a relatively mindless job. It gets boring very quickly. You're having the same conversations over and over again. There is no learning curve. I don't think I took too much away other than being able to put good numbers on my resume because we have a daily quota. It's a bit of a depressing job because I feel like it's stunted my professional growth. Luckily I've spent my time twisting it into a solid cover letter. This is a temp role to help bring in some income while I look for a new place that will actually allow me to grow.

Advice to Management

You guys are really great, just a bit unprofessional at times. It happens often when the whole office can hear your laughing and conversations amongst each other. On the bright side it does make you more approachable.

There is a big lack of incentive though, we get a meager bonus at the end of the month (if we're lucky), while the clients are spending big bucks for this info.

Nov 11, 2016 – Company Management

Thank you for your feedback.

"Research Associate"

I worked at Verbatim Advisory Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great working environment, friendly office atmosphere, management is willing to help out whenever possible, great benefits and pay. Plus there a lot of company outings for team building.

Cons

Sometimes management could micro-manage a bit, but only in times of quickly approaching deadlines.

Advice to Management

Create a training system that is consistent and easily passed on to each new hire.

Nov 11, 2016 – Company Management

Thank you for your feedback. The training modules for the one week onboarding program were further formalized in early 2016.

"Basic Entry Level Job"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Verbatim Advisory Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that you work with are great. You get to learn a lot about the industry and you definitely learn a lot of important skills the first month. The working environment is perfect. There is little micromanagement and you're working on your own the majority of the time.

Cons

The job really doesn't leave much room for growth. The tasks are mundane and since there really isn't any opportunity for growth most people don't even stay a year. Also, you definitely can loose your mind a little on a given day because you don't do anything but cold calls all day.

Advice to Management

I would suggest you open up tasks for everyone to participate in. The company is small so it would be helpful if you could allow the whole team to participate in everything so that people don't get so bored and feel like they can't build a career so they have to leave.

Nov 11, 2016 – Company Management

Thank you for your feedback. While there is room for growth, the Program Manager and Research Analyst positions that open up generate a lot of interest and are competitive. There are other... More

"Research associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Verbatim Advisory Group (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is awful. There is nothing to be gained from working here. Seriously.

Cons

This job is horrendous. I use my paid time looking for other jobs because this place is so bad. My manager even wants to desperately leave. I wish I was being dramatic but I'm not. Whoever said that people leave here going to MBA PROGRAMS IS LYING. Expect to make $25-$30k annually here, and not $80-85K. They do not value people here.

Advice to Management

I think the owner John Strehle needs to recognize how poor management is here and clean the house.

Nov 11, 2016 – Company Management

Thank you for your feedback. While many people have leveraged what they’ve learned here for the next step in their career, the review stating that Research Associate salaries are $80-85K is clearly... More

"Company"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Very nice employees, very friendly and eager to help you learn

Cons

For some it might not be as challenging

Nov 11, 2016 – Company Management

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.