Verengo Solar Reviews | Glassdoor

Verengo Solar Reviews

Updated September 7, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people working there, good company to start a new career as electrician or installer (in 12 reviews)

• The atmosphere in the office is on like any other work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Couldn't keep up with the poaching of sales reps by rivals so canned the entire outside sales organization (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management only cares about driving up monthly sales number so the company is an attractive package for investors to purchase (in 9 reviews)

1. "Canvasser"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Verengo Solar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom. Be your own boss.

Cons

Unstable leadership. Rules change. Lack of vision. Better options are available.

Advice to Management

Expand your services. Invest in people.

2. "Cut throat"

Former Employee - PV Installer in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - PV Installer in Whittier, CA

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady hours,good pay,alright benefits,mileage reimbursement.

Cons

Lots of wear and tear on your own vehicle,excellent pay on depending experience but they will cut you off in a heartbeat no matter how good of a worker you are.

3. "Company treats employees good"

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management that I had experience with cared about me and did whatever they could to help me out. Room for growth within the company. If you prove your worth and work hard, they will treat you with loyalty and respect.

Cons

Lots of lay offs. Poor communication at times. Questionable honesty when it comes to what is going on behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

Work on communication to the employees, let them know what is really going on with the company and if their jobs are at risk. Allow them time to find another job before kicking them to the curb.

4. "Fun"

Former Employee - Solar Consultant in Colton, CA
    Former Employee - Solar Consultant in Colton, CA

I worked at Verengo Solar (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Money flexible schedule, could be a great opportunity

Cons

Unorganized you could have 4 appointments 1 day and then 0 for the next 4 days. Lot of door to door residential canvassing.

Advice to Management

The way the business was run don't think it will last.

5. "Great Company to work for!!!"

Former Employee - Solar Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Solar Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

you can make $100,000.00 if you work hard

Cons

There are no cons a job is a job so if you work hard you get rewarded.

"Change of Direction"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy-going environment, not micro-managed, pay was decent

Cons

Lack of communication/direction, constant lay-offs with NO notice, lies and cover-ups from CEO and upper leaders, not a fun culture like it used to be at all

Advice to Management

Company changed direction to not being a "sales" company anymore to just doing installations which probably fits their skillset the best but obviously they screwed over lots of people to get there when they claimed it wouldn't happen. Never set realistic expectations and always asked for the impossible regardless of reality. Try just being decent human beings and be upfront with your staff when crap is going to go down so you don't mess up peoples lives who were loyal to and stuck through all it all to the end.

"It was Great for a awhile"

Former Employee - Retention/Realization/Ops Management
    Former Employee - Retention/Realization/Ops Management

Pros

Pre November 2014, Verengo Solar was the greatest company I had ever worked for. I finally felt like being a salesman could have purpose in life through the vision of Dave Schotz, our head of call center at the time. Amazing work environment and hands down the greatest management team a sales professional could ask for.

Cons

At the peak when all of the mom and pops were being sold off or closing their doors, Verengo was still moving forward, making right decisions to fix the back end problems that every solar company deals with. Many many poor management decisions spiraled out of control after a large investment firm came in, ran sabre metrics against our company and it became the biggest Band-Aid upon Band-Aid fiasco. they fired more than 60% of the staff in less than a year, shut down the highest rebate market they were in, isolated to one area of Cali, and essentially hit the reset button on a 13 year old company.

Advice to Management

Good Luck

8. "Operations Rep"

Former Employee - Realization/Operations Specialist in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Realization/Operations Specialist in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Verengo Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started working here we all had the common goal to make the company better. We all were more tight knit and helped each other out.

Cons

We got bought out like every other small corporation. They completely changed the dynamic and feel in the office. They started fire people immediately to overhaul so they could bring in new people for a lot less money then they were having to pay us. Corporate is corporate. They will squeeze the life out of you while at the same time making every effort to pay you as little as possible.

"Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Riverside, CA

Pros

Fall from grace and a waste of a good company. I don't know how they've stayed afloat in 2016. The company has been cut to the bare bone and now does only a few installations per month. Theyve also lied to their customers. Time and time again.

At one time Verengo had potential to be one of the top dogs in the residential solar industry. Verengo revolutionized sales, by having some of the best management around, and the best training in the industry. Verengo's training is now used by SunRun and SolarCity.

Cons

Verengo axed the complete and entire Outside Sales, Training Team, Compliance managers, Sales Managers, Canvassers, Field Marketing team, Field Marketing Managers with NO warning, right before Christmas 2015.

Stay away and don't waste your precious time in the solar industry. Work for a company with a good outlook. The ownership and management change led by CEO Anders Dahl and Verengo was driven into the dirt. Lots of promises were made to both customers and employees. These promises were broken. Our pay was degraded, the company did not give customers the incentives they promised. This company is the titanic. They've already hit the iceburg and the sinking is inevitable. Take your talents to SolarCity, Sun Run, Viving, One roof, solar 360. Anyone but Verengo.

Advice to Management

For the lower and mid level management that might still exist at Verengo. Run quick. Go to a company that values your hard work and dedication and go to a company that is going to be around for the long term. Solar is an amazing, lucrative, dynamic industry. Don't waste another day with this sinking ship.

To upper management. The damage has already been done. Anders ruined Verengo. Firing him is too little, too late. Hopefully the new CEO can salvage whats left.

10. "Teamwork Makes the Dreamwork"

Pros

Company cares about its employees. Good wages plus bonuses/sales. Great teamwork environment and awesome company leaders.

Cons

No cons. Enjoyed working for this company