Verisk Analytics "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Verisk Analytics Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Sep 17, 2019

3.5
Verisk Analytics President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Stephenson (no image)
Scott Stephenson
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Great standing in the Insurance industry"

I worked at Verisk Analytics

Pros

Stable company, great market share. Coworkers who are well educated and caring. Tradition of education in insurance courses and certifications.

Cons

New upper management throws away the baby with the bath water, seeking to keep up with progressive corporate programs. Branding is elusive.

Advice to Management

Think twice before getting rid of older workers who have invested their blood and sweat to make ISO and Verisk successful.

Verisk Analytics2015-03-16

"If you like money or time, this isn't the place for you"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst

I worked at Verisk Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of the people are very cool and easy to get along with. It's a fairly tight knit community at least per on a per subsidiary basis.

Cons

Toxic treatment of free-thinkers. Dismissive treatment of employees who aren't tenured. Abysmal pay, and not just for the jobs and area, I left when I received an offer just a few miles away for the same job, that (just under) doubled my salary. Egotistical upper management (some of them are great) is expected, even preferred in some cases, but most people can only digest so much narcissism.

Advice to Management

Degrees used to mean something. If you want to keep up with the changing tide of science, realize that they no longer do. Young adults are instead seeking textbooks and actual human experts instead of paying the outrageous prices of schooling. Prices that you could help with, by paying better tuition reimbursement, and reimbursing classes that aren't just career path related.

Verisk Analytics2019-09-17

"2019 Merit increase for field reps unsatisfactory"

I have been working at Verisk Analytics

Pros

Work from home, company car, equipment provided

Cons

Upper management does not get the value of their field reps. Field reps are how any revenue is generated to begin with and to not compensate the field reps with a decent annual merit increase is a slap in the face!

Advice to Management

Value your field reps and share the wealth with them, as you do amongst yourselves!

Verisk Analytics2019-03-16

"Underpaid & Overworked"

I have been working at Verisk Analytics full-time

Pros

Good benefits and a good work environment.

Cons

Extremely cheap. Very little communication with upper management. Employee input does not matter in decision making.

Verisk Analytics2017-11-20

"Introverted Company"

I worked at Verisk Analytics full-time

Pros

Stable and growing via acquisition stock price Great work/life balance Laid Back Friendly co-workers - Nice folks Financially secure lots of room for improvement as they do change management

Cons

The upper management are nice and humble people but somewhat out of date in terms of core competencies than what you would find in other companies. Most people have worked at the company for 10-25 years which makes it for a stale environment. ISO is the data arm of the insurance industry that has a near monopoly which is what has kept Verisk in a position with little in the way of competitors. Because of this it acts more like the post office, which is a big part of the problem in working there. Since they do not need to compete - the culture is stagnant. The company has lost touch with their customers and in fact is the least customer concentric company ever that exists. As a result, the data and technology and people are outdated and very legacy. While management cares , they don't have the best talent in non-actuarial roles. The company was built by actuarial, so it is not dynamic -actually a bit dull, siloed and insular environment. It is the antithesis of the” one of the most innovative company” it's just to opposite. Its innovative because of the growth rate through acquisition and nothing more. But the people are nice. There is an unwillingness for some long time employees to embrace the culture of change but they are trying to change that.

Advice to Management

need change management but don't shoot the messenger

Verisk Analytics2017-08-10

"Nightmare"

Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at Verisk Analytics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For some crazy reason the company typically hires good friendly people. Sympathy goes out to the ones that remain. Benefits are typical of that of other companies. Not great but not bad. Stock has done very well.

Cons

If you like to work unpaid overtime this is the job for you. At one time ISO/Verisk had excellent training. No more. At one time ISO/Verisk had excellent management. No more. At one time this was a career. No more. Being a field rep for ISO/Verisk is like working a job that goes no where. There is no future. The beginning salary is downright embarrassing. The bonus program is a joke. You work all this unpaid overtime for maybe $700 quarterly after taxes if you are lucky. Teamwork is a thing of the past. The decision to have no annual meetings made moral go down the tube. No one even gets an opportunity to meet their coworkers. Upper management think they are Gods. Management has absolutely no respect for the staff. What staff is saying these days is that their direct managers are now puppets. The direct managers do whatever Upper management says. The direct managers are simply paper shufflers. It's no wonder they now hire managers without college degrees. Thought this was a requirement; but no longer. The company is now hiring loss control reps with zero experience. Well you cannot get experienced reps with the salary they offer. The product they are providing to customers will no doubt be poor. If you like low pay, no respect, work long hours, no overtime pay, someone hounding you daily "where is this, where is that, why is this not documented", micromanagement to the extreme, no respect, then this is the job for you! Darn, glass door requires a minimum of one star. I would have chosen none.

Advice to Management

Get a soul. Start treating your staff with respect that is due. Have you not figured out the high producers are only now producing the minimum required? No one wants to work for you anymore. It was once a not so bad company. Now it's hit rock bottom. The customers are no longer receiving quality. New hires that you obtain have zero insurance background or knowledge. Verisk/ISO is no longer a quality customer driven company. Shame on you!

Verisk Analytics2017-07-11

"Expect to work unpaid overtime"

Current Employee - Field Representative Commercial Property Inspector

I have been working at Verisk Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, seing something different each day.

Cons

The expectation is that field reps will work unpaid overtime hours to meet production goals. Management instructs field staff to falsify time records by not including any over time work and forcing employees to use comp time instead- while still maintaining unreasonable production. Field staff is spread extremely thin making it difficult to even take time off, because production quotas and work flow remain constant even if your off on PTO. Managers provide zero actual support or assistance and are only in place to provide upper management with production numbers. Out dated equipment makes the workflow ridiculously complicated. This job is not what it was described to me to be during the interview process. Pay raises are a joke, only one per year and mine have been a 1% and a .05%. A 10 cents an hour pay raise for the year at this level of work is just insulting. Ya there are bonus opportunities for each quarter, but you literally have to have an extra months worth of production for the quarter to receive it- which means working unpaid overtime hours.

Advice to Management

Value your field staff. Become very aware of just how rampant and blatant the practice (and expectation) of working unpaid overtime has become for field staff before someone finally snaps and files a law suit.

Verisk Analytics2016-05-20

"Verisk/ISO"

Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Verisk Analytics

Pros

Ability to work with wide range of professionals within the company and interaction with a broad base of customer company and regulatory professionals in the insurance industry.

Cons

Inconsistent upper management insisting upon taking new direction while thwarting lower management/staff thinking outside the box. Micromanaging from too high a level. Lack of trust in first line management. HR is weak puppet of upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to lower level management, high performing staff. Give up some control. Work through first line management, not around it. Pay more attention to who is delivering the goods versus who is delivering the words.

Verisk Analytics2016-03-09

"Data Center"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Verisk Analytics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For the most part people are friendly. There is plenty of work so it was never boring. Challenges abound. The area is great. It's a pretty cool company with interesting and challenging work, and except for a few bad apples, the people are pleasant.

Cons

The hours were very long. To preface this next con, most of the people who work here are pleasant and fair. However there were and still are, from what I have heard, a few bad apples that have spoiled it for some of the other more ethical employees. To start with, there were a few impossible-to-break cliques that excluded other employees and impeded productivity. Moreover and most troubling, certain upper management thought it was okay to fraternize and sleep around with their underlings, with multiple affairs going on sometimes for years at a time. Some, if not all of those "favored" underlings received promotions up the ranks, from what some say, unfairly, and they weren't always the best employees for the job. This caused friction with the employees who were unwilling to join the harem. If felt like there was competition and jealousy among the women, especially between the jilted ones and the newly "favored" ones. At times, it was quite hard on those of us who wanted to keep things strictly professional. I never wanted to leave my family to go out and get drunk with them but the ones who did and developed those unethical relationships with their managers seemed to get ahead faster and got the more interesting projects. Also, they were the ones who received the most and best mentoring from what it appeared like at the time. I've seen questions on Glasssoor about the mentorship program at Verisk. Maybe it is just a matter of this sometimes. Although, I'm not saying that this is always the case. In any case however, this type of favoritism, jealousy, competition for attention and sexual tension created problems in the workplace and, from my perspective, deterred cooperation and the free flowing of information that we needed to be effective. It is the belief by some, that certain people appear to have been promoted because of unethical favors and extra-marital affairs they've had with management, and apparently even vendors have done this. I cannot prove this because I have not bothered to collect evidence, but I have seen my share of sketchiness, so I don't particularly doubt it, and it did not seem fair to me. HR seemed helpless or uninterested in what was really going on, as long as those managers did their jobs satisfactorily. This is why I left. From what I have heard from friends, some of the upper managers and their favored playthings and mistresses have left the company and vendors have moved on. However, a few of the same unethical underlings are still there, as are a few that made it up to a high rank by allegedly "playing" with their bosses after work, and they are still making life difficult for certain other women who have to work with them on a daily basis. I wonder if some of the remaining unethical women are still looking for an unfair advantage. Something to think about. It's frustrating, because there are some things I was just not willing to do. I have mixed feelings about leaving. I wish I didn't feel that I had to in order to be promoted fairly but a few of those women made it unbearable. In the beginning, I really liked it there. In any case, it's a shame that this went on at Verisk because I might have actually continued working there otherwise. It's a pretty cool company with interesting and challenging work, and except for a few bad apples, the people are pleasant.

Advice to Management

Nip favoritism and affairs in the bud instead of just gossip, by having and then actually enforcing strict no fraternizing rules. Be more clear about and dedicated to employee development. Establish a real mentorship program and culture of integrity and cooperation among ALL employees no matter how high up in the ranks they are. No one should be protected if they act unethically, just because they get their jobs done well. Take employee complaints more seriously in this area of concern instead of just labeling them as troublesome and then turning a blind eye to the real source of the problem. Do some real investigation into allegations of misconduct, for example, hire a professional to sort out the truth from the lies. Encourage better communication and respect among departments. Teach the women how to communicate with one another professionally, since many simply don't know how to be civil and fair. Ladies, and I use the term loosely, this is not high school! You are as much a part of the problem as your lecherous male bosses are. Get it together, and believe in your professional skills and talents without having to resort to seemingly fun but unsavory behavior in order to garner favor with management. Come on now, this is not TV Land! This is our livelihoods at stake here.

Verisk Analytics2015-10-13
  10. "Overall, I've had a positive experience working at ISO/Verisk."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Verisk Analytics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Flexible hours - The option to work from home during bad weather - Great co-workers - Paid internship programs - I worked for 3 summers in college at Verisk before joining full time. - Good benefits. - Opportunities to move internally

Cons

- I've seen a rush to 'innovate' without testing resulting in angry customers begging for the old way - Not much transparency from upper management - Raises were very low last year, lower than the year before. - Always reorganizing

Verisk Analytics2015-02-05