Veristat Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Patrick Flanagan

1. "A great place to work and grow your career"

I have been working at Veristat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Veristat has been and continues to be a great place to work. It is fast paced and extremely collaborative. The company has experience a lot of growth both in the number of employees as well as geographically making it an exciting place to be. I have learned an extraordinary amount in the few years I have worked here. Continuing to learn and be challenged by new projects has kept me engaged and happy to come to work each day. The culture and atmosphere are overall upbeat and positive. Most colleagues are passionate about their profession and support the companies mission statement, to make a difference and to improve and save people's lives.

Cons

Sometimes longer hours are required and cannot always be predictable, however I feel this is normal for most rewarding jobs out there.

"Stay away"

Pros

Aside from the free fruit, the lean box and the 5 weeks vacation, there are no pros in working here.

Cons

Disrespectful and hostile environment creates a revolving door for employees which directly impacts client satisfaction.
    The benefits are terrible, for example, to get the company to contribute 1.25% you have to contribute at least 6% and that is only after 9 months of working for the company.
    Managers are not knowledgeable which creates a lot of inconsistencies and generates mistrust.
    Most clients are not satisfied with the service which makes it difficult to feel motivated.
    The claim that there is room for growth is true but only because the wrong people are promoted sans any experience and/or coaching.
    Please read the "like getting out of a bad relationship " review, which is what I should've paid attention to before accepting the job.

Advice to Management

Stop stretching the fabric so thin.
    Spend time hiring good managers and directors.
    Provide adequate training to new employees.
    Think of the lower level workers as people.

Veristat Response

Jan 5, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We are dedicated to creating a comfortable and collaborative environment for all of our employees so it is disappointing to hear about some of your experiences. All ... More

"Great people, but watch out"

Pros

-Good company to enter into the industry
    -Awesome people to work with
    -Fancy free coffee machine, iced coffee, seltzer and fruit
    -Exposed to a lot of therapeutic areas
    -Flexible hours/work from home policy
    -Casual attire

Cons

Management is very concerned about hitting billability goals. No room for personal growth. Many projects to work on at once. Overworked, underpaid. Poor training with poor management and leaders. Lack of support in expanding technologies.

Advice to Management

I wanted to love Veristat, but the company has a lot of growing up to do. The training system needs to be revamped. The company needs to invest in technology and software systems that will make it competitive against other CROs. Veristat needs to be part of the 21st-century and move to electronic systems, not the archaic paper systems that currently exist. Employees need to be rewarded more from the salaries they receive to the benefits offered. Pay your employees more and perhaps they will put in the hours needed to complete the crazy deliverables and tight timelines. Senior management needs to invest in their current employees and infrastructure before expanding. You won't have a very strong structure without a strong base. It's a great stepping stone into the industry, but otherwise watch out.

5. "Growing, collaborative place to work"

Current Employee - SAS Programmer in Southborough, MA
    Current Employee - SAS Programmer in Southborough, MA

I have been working at Veristat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent staff and a rapid growing company that wants to be at the forefront of the industry makes this a place where you will grow and be challenged.

Cons

Long hours, many deadlines and not much time to do else makes it strenuous, but oh you'll learn so much!

"Great, growing company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA

I have been working at Veristat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Veristat to feel a connection to my work that had been missing up to that point in my career. I knew I could get behind an organization that was doing important work, whose employees were dedicated to making a difference. What I underestimated was how much of that was the work vs. how much of it was the company culture/people. While the work is certainly something to be proud of, so much of the company's draw is actually rooted in it's remarkable people. Veristat is full of highly educated, brilliant people, yet they are everyday, caring, kind-hearted people. Everyone who walks through the door is treated with respect, problems are solved with collaboration, not blame, and people are willing to meet change and growth with an open mind.

Cons

The company has grown quite significantly in the past few years. They have made some recent investments in upgrades (gorgeous new office space) to help this along, but are still chipping away at additional upgrades (technology) to continue to move the company forward. This could feel frustrating, but it also feels intentional, deliberate and stable, rather than fly by the seat of our pants growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with smart investments in people, technology, and long terms decisions. The continuous improvement approach is a good one!

"Like getting out of a bad relationship..."

I worked at Veristat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Veristat has one positive aspect and that is the people. I stayed longer than I should have because I liked the people I worked alongside. The employees in the ground floor are generally passionate about clinical research and the lives that can be changed if these rare drugs are approved.

Cons

There is a lot to say here. For starters, if you work here you are probably underpaid. I was new to workplace and made the mistake of underselling during salary negotiations. After two annual salary increases I realized that I was never going to catch up to my actual worth. My first and second annual "raises" we're both 2% or lower and the annual bonus was never more than a week's salary. My annual reviews were both overwhelmingly positive. The message: "You are a hard worker but not worth paying". My new job initially paid me 1.5 times my Veristat salary but I received an 8% salary increase in under seven months because I am considered a high performer. Management also does not like to invest money in the business. They still had not switched to an FDA compliant file digital file system because they did not want to spend the money to go digital...in 2015. (Somehow printing copies of every file on paper is cheaper?) all official record keeping is delegated to an increasingly small number of low level employees. It is astounding how little the management cares about GCP. Management business practices are also confusingly outdated. They are trying to grow into s bigger company, but the CFO is opposed to spending any money on investment or infrastructure (fun fact, we did not get off of XP laptops from 2006 until last January). No paid Maternity leave. Performance reviews/salary increases are only once per year with no negotiation. And the general feel is that any employee is replaceable (ironic considering the fact that they talk about employees being a family). I stayed for longer than I should because I kept telling myself it would get better. "Maybe the next salary round will improve!" "Maybe management will start caring about quality!" "Maybe next month the workload will be more reasonable!" Eventually I woke up and realized that, like a toxic relationship, Veristat was not going to change and I needed to get out before they fired me...or worse, the FDA came in for an inspection. Leaving was the best decision I could have made. My new company is not perfect, but they treat me like a valued human being, in actions, not just words.

Advice to Management

Invest in your business and your employees. Care more about the quality of your systems. If you want to compete you need to be better and/or efficient. You are currently neither. Maybe take classes in modern business ideals or ethics. You will not win by running a business like it is the 1980's. Of course, everyone that tried to tell you that is gone now.

8. "Family owned to Corporate"

Pros

Flexible schedule and laid-back dress code

Cons

Culture changed from family feel to corporate

"Growing company with small company feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA

I have been working at Veristat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Veristat is a growing company but has a smaller company, family like feel to the organization. Really pays a lot of attention to the culture - it is work but can have fun as well. Lots of opportunities to learn and work on really cutting edge projects. Feel like I am making a difference to patients through the trials we are supporting. Listens to what the employees fee is needed and tries to implement changes when needed. Lots of opportunity for career development and advancement. Recently there were 3 different employees who were promoted into new positions in new departments - great to see.

Cons

Veristat should continually work to improve the systems utilized in the organization. Continue to improve the benefits package for employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the high level of communication from the management team to the employees and ensure that the employee participation in the shaping of the culture continues even as the company grows.

10. "Great CRO To Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southborough, MA

I have been working at Veristat part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've spent 15+ years working for CROs and this one maintains the small company feel despite the fact that it is growing. Veristat offers a great work-life balance, with a flexible work environment. Veristat is like a family, is very team-oriented and offers a fast paced environment to grow and expand your skill sets. Everyone here makes a difference. We work hard, but we have fun.

Cons

As with any smaller company, we all "wear many hats" and have to do many things which sometimes are slighty outside of our realm of expertise or comfort zone. I love the variety of work and learning new things so I don't mind. If you don't adapt well to change, then this is not the environment for you.

Advice to Management

Please continue the open communication with employees as we grow! Many companies slow down communication with growth.

"Great if it's your first job, otherwise beware."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holliston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holliston, MA

I have been working at Veristat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, good benefits especially for a small company, very dedicated to work they are doing.

Cons

There is little to no room for movement within the company. They claim that they like to provide opportunities for advancement but this never really occurs.
    The company is seriously understaffed for the amount of work we have and management is unreasonable with expectations.