Verizon Reviews in Basking Ridge, NJ | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "FLDP"

Former Intern - FLDP in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Intern - FLDP in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very organized internship with true responsibilities pertaining to a business problem/project.

Cons

No cons to report from my time with Verizon

2. "Great company..."

Current Employee - Director in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A solid business and large marketshare, competitive pay and benefits, worldwide footprint

Cons

Very large company so can be impersonal environment

Advice to Management

Engage with employees on a more personal level

3. "National Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Verizon is a great place to work. There are always opportunities for growth. The company helped me pursue and obtain my MBA in 2013.

Cons

I do not have one bad thing to say about Verizon. The industry is very competitive, internally and externally.

Advice to Management

I spent 19 loyal and faithful years at Verizon. I wish I never left. I am hopeful that I can one day return to show them what I have learned since 2014 and how I can provide value to the company.

"Typical large Corporate Environment."

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work / life balance. Benefits are excellent. Opportunities within the company are many especially for project managers. Telecommuting is a big part of the culture.

Cons

Antiquated corporate culture. A Very sales driven with a product and services portfolio that needs R&D investment to stay relevant.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Well known brand.

Cons

Poor leadership throughout the company. Company is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Management is too reactionary instead of proactive . Managers manage to spreadsheets instead of actions that will drive results; including holding those accountable and finding good quality people. They promote too soon creating inexperienced leaders. There are so many companies that value employees, Verizon does NOT. Trying to be the next Google from a culture perspective --NOT. Many good people are leaving the company. Those who stay are those who know they've got it "good" and can't survive outside Verizon. I would not recommend Verizon.

Advice to Management

Slow down, think, then react. Hold employees accountable. Take performance appraisals more serious then just a task. Coach more along the way. For those who don't make an effort or dismiss changing for the good and lack integrity then, move them out.

Leaders get out from behind your desk and spend a day in the trenches, employees will respect you more and work harder.

Verizon much change more then their open concept work stations and cement flooring, they have a lot of work to so to stay a float.

"Leadership has wrecked this place"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well paid as long as you like being told what to do. Biggest strength is that they're "too big to fail."

Cons

Everything standardized. No room for creativity. Upper 3-4 levels of management embodies the Peter Principle. No cohesive vision for company's future. They had a diamond in their wireless culture and turned it into mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Stick to what got you here. You're a network company; not a tech innovator (especially with the current goofs running the show).

"Business Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Work Life Balance, Opportunities if you're in the "know"

Cons

Poor Management, little to no development, can be stuck in your role with no true career growth

Advice to Management

Listen to the voice of the employees, focus on competitive pay of other companies to retain employees, seek ways to always remain attainable and build a team that has the ability to be autonomous

8. "Better than expected"

Current Contractor - Systems Architect in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Contractor - Systems Architect in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Feel is much less corporate than I feared. I'm in the engineering and technology dept (Device Technology) so the culture there is more relaxed than other parts of the building. Very lean team. I'm one of two devs doing a suite of activities on the server side; thus I'm a junior engineer with mid-level responsibilities. It's a lot of work but it's greatly rewarding. Lots of room for growth.

The best part of working on my team is that we feel like a startup with clear lines of communication and structure. This is wholly due in part to my team of lead architects, who are supremely competent and incredibly hardworking. They are strict, but understanding, and have the patience to sit with junior devs and walk through their mistakes. That is a rare quality in a senior-level developer/engineer. This is only true for my team specifically so I cannot extrapolate to other teams at Verizon, but I have heard good things about other leads as well.

Food is very good. VERY health conscious, and quite affordable. You can get a made-to-order grilled salmon steak with a side for ~$6.50, which is almost unheard of.

Cons

All onboarding in Wireless at the Basking Ridge office has to be done via contract first, therefore you will always start off with a step off compared to a traditional full-time role. Make sure you negotiate with your contracting firm aggressively for a good rate. You will have no benefits package or paid time off.

The culture within Verizon is a mixed bag. They are very environmentally conscious, which is great (there is composting within the cafeteria. !!!) but the culture is very insular. You rarely hear about the doings of high-level execs, and most of their decisions reach you via hearsay (it never reaches public news). On top of that, teams are very political. Directors will joust for members on teams (I was almost poached by a team from a different division). Be careful where you tread.

Advice to Management

To my own managers, nothing. To the heads at large, more transparency would always be appreciated. Less propaganda.

9. "FLDP"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to C Suite. Ability to determine cultural fit while developing management skills. Collaborative environment and reasonable work life balance.

Cons

Prior to the Wireless acquisition, business was very split from a culture perspective by inferior vs superior product lines. While the FLDP program is meant to identify and develop management level personnel on a fast track, not all those who became involved with the program were interested in that objective and some of the projects were either unreasonable for an intern to achieve in the time frame or uninteresting.

Advice to Management

Keep fresh the FLDP projects and use the feedback received to make sure good managers are serving as the first set of mentors.

"Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Verizon encourages people to develop their careers by changing jobs within the company. Lots of lateral opportunity if you want it.
    - Excellent salary and bonus at manager level, great 401k match with profit sharing.
    - Lots of training opportunities
    - Many directors are favorable towards work-life balance
    - Co-workers are great - you can make a lot of friends

Cons

- Market changes and competitive pressure in the wireless, television and enterprise businesses are squeezing revenue, margins and profits - business conditions are not good.
    - The new product organization was unable to scale new businesses to make significant new margin contributions;
    - Product development teams are often unable to complete projects that meet schedule, quality and budget goals despite significant pressure;
    - A huge number of stakeholders who have different and conflicting agendas;
    - Important executive-level decisions take too long and get reversed.
    - It is hard to get the right things done well and at the right time.
    - Director positions seem to be awarded according to the buddy system.
    Consequently:
    - Layoffs every year
    - Bonuses were reduced in 2017
    - The future doesn't look so good, either

Advice to Management

Teach your managers and leaders how to manage their own teams. Make decisions faster. Practice Lean Startup techniques for new product lines and businesses.

Showing 207 of 7,430 reviews