Verizon Reviews | Glassdoor

Lowell McAdam
2,599 Ratings

6,716 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - PC Support Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - PC Support Technician in Denver, CO

Pros

Company Recognition! There is nothing worse than saying, "I work for XYZ Consulting Corp. and people say "huh? never heard of it."
    The people are very friendly. very open and willing to help you out with almsot anything.

Cons

Everyone thinks you have a Verizon Cell Phone, even if you don't. and they all think you SELL cell phones, even if you don't.

Advice to Management

Listen to Employee Feedback, some of the best ideas can come from the people on the front lines.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Basking Ridge, NJ

Pros

Theres a lot of exposure to new technology, especially with FiOS. Its pretty cool to be part of an "old telephone company" and still be an innovater entering new markets. Everyone I work with is really hardworking, dedicated and driven. Theres no cut throat attitude.. Also being fairly new, theres a lot of support for development. I have several mentors and have already attended a fair share of conferences and meetings requiring travel. I am also proud of the fact that with all the competition going on for reaching new markets and selling products, we haven't stooped to mud slinging. It reinforces my faith in our product.

Cons

Verizon Telecom is a large corporation and as with any large companies, there are some pros and cons. I haven't experienced it much, but with all the mergers between the different telephone companies (GTE, fBA, etc), there are a lot of systems and processes in IT that aren't necessarily efficient. That is the only complaint I have heard of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Verizon Business is a technology company that has awesome benefits and values the individual employee!"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Basking Ridge, NJ

Pros

I love the flexibility of my current job as well as the impact I feel I make at it. I work with an extensive group of global colleagues who are all extremely talented in their particular area. Almost everyone approaches projects in an earnestness to better improve the company overall.

I love that because Verizon Business is a global technology company, many of the employee systems are online -- Time and Expense, Vacation tracking, Benefits Enrollment and Changes, Payroll -- everything that you, as an employee need, can be managed through the web.

I also love that Verizon Business has a stellar Recognition and Rewards program. Managers can give their employees reward points where 1 point = 1 dollar. So if a manager gives an employee 100 points, the employee has really been awarded 100 dollars. There's an online redemption site where employees can redeem gift certificates to stores... or do what I do, which is to have the money transferred to a Verizon Business pre-paid Mastercard that you can then use anywhere.

Cons

Verizon Business is an LOB within the Verizon enterprise. The Verizon Core company does not have a very effective shared services model that all of the LOBs can utilize nor is there effective deployment of systems and guidelines (such as branding) that affect the different LOBs. This causes a lot of additional, unnecessary work that exploits project timelines as well as overall delivery.

There are too many independent projects because individual groups don't realize that the project they are working on are either part of a whole or involve additional people. Peope operate tactically first, and strategize second.

Advice to Management

The overall strategy / direction of the company goals and objectives need to be better developed into tactical action plans.

4. "Verizon-Great place to job"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irving, TX

Pros

Great company that is continuously evolving into a monster player in the entertainment world. We are innovative, we offer the most comprehensive HD package and we can play in all 3 markets, versus the narrow minded Cable companies. Additionally, Verizon has staying power, and we are here to stay. So, if we can make it past the growing pains, we will be the #1 provider versus #7, but look out Cable, here we come!

Cons

All leadership positions are filled in Basking Ridge, however, they do treat their high potential managers well. The only other downside is that they are trying to re-invent themselves into a power house internet and video provider.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback from your managers and your employees, as sometimes they really do know what they are talking about.

5. "Smartest minds in the business."

Current Employee - Central Office Technician in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Central Office Technician in Cary, NC

Pros

Great team environment!! Everyone is like family.

Cons

Had to endure many layoffs over the years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. "Great place for excellent workers"

Current Employee - Senior Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Service Representative in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great work performance is recognized and rewarded. Management cares and works just as hard as their direct reports. Health benefits are EXCELLENT. Regular performance reviews/raises help the employee know where they stand. Good bonus programs that reward great performance. Verizon also has a very good 401k program. They match dollar for dollar up to 6%. In addition, depending on the Verizon annual financial numbers, they kick in up to an additional 3%. Overall, very satisfying place to work, you feel like you make a difference.

Cons

Sometimes Verizon being too big hurts. Also, there are issues between the different business units (Wireless/Business/Telco).

Advice to Management

Keep direct reports in the loop on issues. Continue to recognize & reward outstanding performance.

7. "Privileged to review my company!!"

Current Employee - QA Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - QA Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Excellent compensation, industry leading 401k matching contributions (matches dollar-to-dollar till 6% of salary, or even 9% depending on performance of the unit), excellent place for working moms to have perfect balance of office & personal life, unparalleled support to employees who are into voluntary activities through Verizon's Voluntary Incentive Programs and Matching Incentive Programs.

Cons

I'm into IT and think offshoring might a threat down the line

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue treating your employees with valuable incentives. Yes....please check for a better alternative than offshoring ...and keep us engaged to take the company to new heights. We have been loyal and ready to give our last blood to the company(both literally, as we do during Company coordinated Red Cross, and figuratively too :-))

8. "Nice Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

If you are capable this is company where you can grow real fast

Cons

cant really balance your personal life

Advice to Management

keep doing what you doing

"A great place for today, tomorrow, & my future"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA

Pros

This is a great place to come to work every day. The compensation and benefits lead the market. Management strives to do the right things for employees.

Cons

In the fast paced wireless industry, some may not be able to keep up with the pace. The environment is very competitive and employees are encouraged to develop and achieve best-possible results. Some people would rather not be in a competitive environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the right things in the marketplace to make us successful. Thanks for allowing us to reap the benefits of our success

10. "Get on board!!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Overall great place to work and gives you all the opportunities in the world to advance. As long as your willing to work for what you want you will get the world given to you on a silver platter.

Cons

Lots of pay, but lots of hours.. But thats the way it is with most sales based organizations.

Advice to Management

Get in the field more to get a clue about the changes that are made before you make people do things that dont make sense.... like with any company... Other than that, great job guys!

Showing 6,716 of 6,963 reviews