Verizon Telematics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Verizon Telematics CEO Andrés Irlando
Andrés Irlando

Pros
  • Start-up culture, great benefits, easy to obtain a work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Verizon is a large company but has good benefits and room to move up (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most companies, work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• There is no option to be able to work from home even though everyone has laptops (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive new direction post-acquisition"

Current Employee - Product Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Telematics (More than a year)

Pros

Verizon Telematics is in an excellent position to capitalize on two key opportunities – Internet of Things (IoT) and connected vehicles. The new leadership team is capable and forward-thinking, with significant experience from Verizon Wireless and other top-tier organizations, and is making the right investments in employee leadership training, product management and development methodologies.

Verizon’s backing is helping with anything from sourcing to marketing, product design and advertising, so the products I have been working on have improved noticeably over the last year. It has been very rewarding to see designs I have developed featured on national television.

The products are interesting. I like that this isn’t just a website or collection of mobile apps. There is a lot to cover when innovating here – device design improvements based on new wireless network technology, packaging, new mobile app features that tie to the information the devices collect from the cars, product distribution, and decisions on what to build next.
    The people are smart and get things done quickly; this seems to be attracting other new people who are smart and get things done quickly. There is opportunity to interact with the highest levels at Verizon, which has been great from a personal development and learning standpoint.

Cons

The company is in transition. Verizon made the acquisition to turn sound product concepts into sustainable, profitable solutions across three defined lines of business. A transition of this magnitude doesn’t come easily. A recent reorganization was – in my opinion - necessary to align the right resources with the right initiatives. This is now mostly behind us, with the new effort now on recruiting and hiring new resources with the latest development, design and management skills.

On a related note, new teams are forming and learning to work together. This has created some conflict and created prioritization and implementation issues – even at higher levels. The teams are learning from this, though, and more progress has been made recently.

There is a lot to learn. This is a fast-moving space, with many moving parts. I have had to put in extra hours to learn all of the system components – and still have a lot to discover. Not a place for someone who just wants to put in minimum effort and head home.

Advice to Management

This is new, uncharted territory, so there are many initiatives competing for attention, but it is extremely important to focus on a manageable number of the highest-priority items to succeed.

Overall, the vision is in place and is improving as it is refined. Keep working to define and correctly prioritize the most important items, and the organization will keep moving in a good direction.

Verizon Telematics Response

Jun 18, 2016

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on your experience with us. I wake up every day excited about the huge opportunity to deliver for our customers and shape an industry. I also feel an incredible ... More

2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Telematics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

innovative Company and great to work for.

Cons

The commute depending on where you are in Atlanta

3. "An exciting time and place to work"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Verizon Telematics full-time

Pros

Being part of the new combined, largest Telematics company in the industry from the merger of Telogis, Fleetmatics, and Verizon Telematics. The highest percentage of helpful, supportive people over any place else in my entire career.

Cons

Although they are doing great at trying to keep the startup mentality, it still is a really, really big company.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward and keep focused on keeping customers and employees satisfied, and the revenue will follow.

"Cupcakes!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Verizon Telematics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All employees now speak the same language.
    Married co-workers are treated exceptionally
    They have Keurig machines K-cups not provided, but free condiments.
    We got cupcakes once. Oh, and pens.
    Free electricity.
    Onsite gym, no requirement to wipe down equipment. Sanitation is optional.

Cons

I never got to meet Lowell, he seems like a pretty caring dude.
    It hasn't been the same since Paul Marcarelli jumped to Sprint.
    I'm still waiting on my Verizon jacket.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Double down on your efforts, you guys rock!

"Not my Favorite Job"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Telematics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start-up culture, great benefits, easy to obtain a work/life balance

Cons

Little room for advancement, siloed departments, product driven culture

Advice to Management

Help nurture and grow your in-house talent

7. "Future is Bright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Verizon Telematics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry leader in telematics globally. Totally going for market domination & will get there. Global presence and scale already. New leadership has vision & foresight and will lead the way and industry. Negativity in culture has reduced significantly and folks on the team are committed & here to win. Exciting projects kicked off already.

Cons

Some broader Verizon policies affect agility. All business metrics are still treated & compared to a phone line connection

Advice to Management

Keep doing. Make hard decisions faster. Align on goals at every level of company

"They changed the culture of a good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookhaven, DeKalb, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookhaven, DeKalb, GA

I worked at Verizon Telematics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Verizon is a decent company who uses merger and acquisition to extend the reach of their product and service offerings. I worked at this company when they were known as Hughes Telematics. Hughes was a very innovative and entrepreneurial shop, creating best of breed embedded systems

Cons

Verizon is too large to respond to a dynamic marketplace quickly. They outsource a lot of their back office and it shop work but do not effectively address the inevitable culture and language barriers to address the uncertainty which comes with dealing in the global market place. One thing that became very problematic was Verizon's in ability to effectively bill clients. Billing systems need to produce accurate invoices.

Advice to Management

One way to differentiate yourself in the market is to excel at customer service. Verizon has generated too many erroneous bills and hides behind corporate lawyers to mitigate the inevitable legal entanglements.

"Not recomended"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Verizon Telematics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Best 401k in the market.

Don't think I can figure out 20 words for the pros section.

20 done

Cons

Only going to name some cons, but they are way more.
    Bad management.

Seems like you only get promoted if the right people likes you or if you if you are married to one of them.

Poor sense of direction, every two weeks or so directions change.

Not a lot of transparency, each manager or director have their own ideas of what to do.

Advice to Management

Star hiring more technical and knowledgeable people and not your friends so can have more political leverage

"Driver/ Data Entry"

Current Employee - Test Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Test Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Telematics (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, very nice immediate manager. The office building is very nice and professional. It's centrally located in the heart of the perimeter Amenities are close...(eateries, banking, mall...etc)

Cons

The employee parking situation .

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Consultant - Systems Analysis & Programs in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Verizon Telematics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good as a contractor in this company.

Cons

Will keep you guessing about layoffs all the time.
    People talk about layoffs at least an hour daily.
    Management heavy.
    Good to be a contractor than Full time.
    Hire and Fire policy.