Verizon Wireless Reviews in Basking Ridge, NJ | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Verizon Wireless Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits offered (in 598 reviews)

• Great pay (a bit more for being bilingual) great benefits since day 1 (in 1551 reviews)

"Fun and enjoyable"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Staying on the cutting edge of technology, seeing all of the new equipment that's coming out and testing it months in advance. Benefits are top notch, including 401K, healthcare, and discounts on cell phone plans for the family. Different teams will have different experiences based on the leadership, but the current leadership team I have is second to none.

Cons

Pressures from the marketplace have people squeamish about their jobs. We've seen cuts over the past 3 years that makes people in HQ feel like they could be soon to follow. This past year was the first time in the last 15 years that Verizon did not pay out 100% or more on the bonuses. That also has people concerned and starting to look elsewhere. As always, there are a few bad apples who are "people managers" and they're driving people away from certain teams and causing unnecessary turnover.

Advice to Management

When people leave their position within the company to take a lateral move or downgrade, ask them why they are really leaving. More often than not, it's because they are fed up with their immediate leadership team and see that the grass IS greener on the other side of the cubicle for a lot of people.

2. "Overall a good company with work life balance challenges"

Former Employee - Management in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Management in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities to learn and grow your skill set.

Cons

Long hours (evenings and weekends) in HQ location. There is also an expectation to be in the office every day. Working from home is rarely an option. There is also unassigned seating in the HQ office which can be challenging at times. Layoffs are starting to happen more often than in previous years due to industry disruptions (read news articles for more information). There is also minimal room for advancement despite the vast amount of time that is expected for your responsibilities. In the end, you are basically a number.

Advice to Management

Revisit the severance process to ensure that you are not removing good resources who have the knowledge and skills required to grow the company and help increase bottom line revenue. Knowledgable resources are necessary to sustain the company. Also, consider the option for employees to work from home 1 day a week to create more of a work/life balance.

3. "Company review"

Current Employee - Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, VZ is continuously trying to adopt to changing market conditions.

Cons

Political work environment at senior management level which cascades downstream.

"Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Exposure to different departments and partners

Cons

Political management; lack of innovation

Advice to Management

Grow talent don't promote just simply executives. Be open to new ideas; let ideas grow and be open to diverse people. Lack of demographic diversity in management

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, comfortable work environment

Cons

Hard to move up. It's who you know, not what you know

Advice to Management

Give everyone a chance to shine, and not just your friends

"Finance HQ is a Graveyard"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst - Finance in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst - Finance in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely excellent pay, bonus, all health benefits are very affordable yet super complete, cellphone service 50% discount (no equipment) , 401K match, profit sharing.

Cons

Unfortunately money doesn't mean happiness, the big name of the company is smoking mirrors to me and if you are willing to give your life away for good money and benefits and keep the "suck it up" mentality then come here because it's totally miserable. I can only speak for the finance team in HQ, maybe marketing and sales located in Basking Ridge because we work for them, but that's a general statement and can be inaccurate (definitely HQ finance is accurate). I can't speak for any other groups or departments. Zero flexibility to work from home, very bureaucratic, if you are not in certain rank or band you can't even reply to an email for a director or executive because your rank does not qualify you to do so. Very high maintenance and no matter how hard you work it's just never enough. They are going through several transformations and that means many people will be laid off by Nov 2017. The new open work environment with no cubes and work (sit) on any desk (first come first serve) is super noisy, totally ugly and cheap looking (yes the super creative designed they are so proud of) the new floor design actually looks like a warehouse in a department store with cafeteria tables "to work" and there are other desks in an area where you sit and might elbow someone because you are way too close to each other and with zero privacy by the way. There are lockers to put your personal items. Hope this explains how much the company tries their best to make employees happy. I just keep wondering why the executives didn't lose their offices and moved into the open space like everyone else has been. No assigned seating unless you "mark territory". Finance has not gone thru this move yet but it's coming along with the transformation (lay offs). Again the smoking mirrors company is giving free coffee and hot drinks on machines placed in rest areas, you can see that no even free coffee pays for the misery that many employees mop around with. I wish I could ask everyone how miserable or happy they feel, I can tell people are not happy when they throw doors on other people's faces and behave rude, even frequent accidents in the parking lot, I don't like many people here but I give everyone a pass because this place can make anyone insane. The parking situation sucks, if you are not in the Basking Ridge building by 8:45 am then good luck to you and get the shuttle that the company provides (add 25 minutes to get to your desk). The company is VERY old school trying to become a tech company and bringing millennials and multicultural (employees). I'm a millennial and also a minority and can't understand how this company that talks so much about brining sales from those channels and markets does not start with their own employees. Employees look for flexibility, work smart instead hard and still complete deliverables on time and accurate. That's why they keep the incompetent employees and the good skilled employees leave.
    Also, I highly doubt the quality of managers these executives promote. Basically management is horrible all the way from the top. This company is VERY top down, My manager and his manager totally suck. Its funny how they love the Senior Manager title and the pay (I assume), but they don't like to deal with the actual responsibility of being a manager and caring for an employee and stand by an employee.
    At the end of the day....why am I still here? I'm about to leave because I can't stand this disgusting place and management. I say NO to be miserable for great money and I won't suck it up!

Advice to Management

Get the old school mentality off. Technology, Millennials and multicultural means flexibility and open minded.. If you don't get it now, you must get it one day ...when? When you see how your attrition rates drop and the bottom line (which you care the most) is affected after you keep losing employees.

7. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, great salary and awesome benefits.

Cons

The upward mobility in terms of administrative jobs is slim.

Advice to Management

Show more respect & appreciation for the "Back Bone" employees, like the Executive Assistants.

8. "Excellent benefits, culture, and prospects for advancement"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Analytics in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Analytics in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most hiring of HQ positions is done internally

Cons

Strategy hasn't been great the last year or so

Advice to Management

None really

9. "Excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Health and Wellness Coordinator in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Health and Wellness Coordinator in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time off is abundant - start with 17 days for first 5 years (10 days vacation + 7 days personal). 22 days after 5 years of service. 10 days paternity leave. Health insurance is excellent. 6% matching 401k. Up to 3% profit sharing. Bonus.

Cons

Very corporate, but that's what you expect. Company culture is divided due to senior leaders send conflicting messages.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible and less uptight.

10. "Interesting work with opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for personal growth and development
    Plenty of training resources
    Friendly work environment
    Relatively flat organization

Cons

Conservative business culture
    Roles not always clearly defined and leads to a duplication of efforts
    Resources exist but you have to find them on your own

Advice to Management

Embrace innovation and change

Showing 83 of 8,030 reviews