Verizon Wireless Reviews in North Charleston, SC | Glassdoor

2.8
Verizon Wireless Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits offered (in 617 reviews)

• Great pay (a bit more for being bilingual) great benefits since day 1 (in 1579 reviews)

Cons

1. "Financial Services Rep"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hours and great pay.

Cons

I am sitting all day with little opportunity to move around.

Advice to Management

Offer 3 ten minute breaks to give opportunity to be mobile.

"What I learned about corporate america"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Benefits, Pay, Colleagues, Location, Onsite Gym, Cafeteria

Cons

Bureaucracy , Upper management, Time off,

Advice to Management

Listen to your reps

"Verizon Tech Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Coordinator in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits ample vacation and personal time. Ability to move laterally within company.

Cons

Hi stress, office politics are extreme very demanding not enough opportunity for upward advancement

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites treat all employees equally.

"Not a good company AT ALL"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in North Charleston, SC

Pros

Nothing, it is a horrible company, only good thing is the benefits,

Cons

The culture and management are horrible. They give you no time off during the holidays, take days off from you for pointless training. Constantly deny time off requests and do not promote based on seniority or performance but based on race or who can suck up the most to upper level management.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and respect your employees for the value they bring to the organization!

5. "Very stressful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits to start. You did receive benefits as soon as you are hired.

Cons

Very stressful. A lot of times there isn't a supervisor to help.

Advice to Management

It is very much like high school you have to be in the right circle.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will buy you dinner rather than allowing you off on a holiday!

Cons

No room for growth! Degrees and experience are overlooked. Management talks down on you. The company overlooks doctors orders for short term disability and accommodations.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing and get more educated individuals in management roles.

"Excellent Benefits Retain Employees"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Verizon Wireless gave me a great foundation for a career in customer service. I learned to truly de-escalate almost any situation. I also was able to form some long-lasting friendships and networking connections during my time there. The other huge perk of working at VZW is the benefits... I paid literally $15 to have a baby in 2010. The health insurance, 401K matching, EAP, discounts, onsite gym, bonuses, etc-- it's why I stayed for so long.

Cons

I worked in a call center and it was soul-wrenching. Those of us who have gotten out refer to our days there as 'in the trenches.' We have the same shared trauma experience.

The first 9 months were OK--great training and several weeks of support from more tenured reps-- but there is only so much of the exact same motions, words, and phone calls that one can take. It's a constant barrage of insults and seeing the worst in people (the customers) Instead of understanding how hard it is to be on the Front Lines, upper management just makes it harder. For example, you are only allowed to use the bathroom during very specific allotments of time during the day. Same with lunch. If you have to sign off the phones when it's not your scheduled break then your adherence is docked. While this may be a common practice among call centers, VZW takes it very far. When I was pregnant with my son I had to complete FMLA paperwork with my OB indicating that it was a necessary workplace arrangement to allow me to use the bathroom at will. I'm completely serious.

Another Con to working there is that there is a firm ceiling in regards to employee growth. There are some reps who have been on the phones for 10+years and there is no hope for them to be promoted or to even just do something different. If you want to try to move to another department then you lose your seniority--which controls what kind of schedule you have. It seemed to me that those in management and/or Training were there from the beginning and were not planning to move on. Why would they? They don't have to deal with customers, they can use the bathroom whenever they want, they get paid more than CSR reps, AND they get those amazing benefits.

Corporate Propaganda:
    The higher-ups in the company will occasionally come visit the call centers and host 'kick-offs' where we are all so excited to get some time off the phones. There is loud music, catchy videos, and even t-shirt guns! They give a very high/vague overview of upcoming plans and products. But if you try to meet with them, or ask any type of serious question you are immediately shut down. Even the managers cannot break though to them.

At some point you have to either become a robot, or you have to leave.

Advice to Management

Remember that those on the Front Lines are actual human beings like yourself. Listen to them. Be more transparent with employees. Grow your employees and they will be even more likely to stay, be more loyal to the brand, and ultimately serve the customers better.

8. "Great benefits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, annual bonuses, great pay, on site cafeteria, several things to do on site during your breaks and lunches

Cons

Dealing with negative customers, having to adherence to meet that is not always realistic, rules and performance constantly changing, but overall a great place

Advice to Management

Need to be able to relate to customers needs more

9. "Customer Care Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, real work-life balance, awesome training program, great leaders, fantastic health insurance

Cons

none, truly loved the job, the benefits were awesome, the people were fantastic

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing!

"Mental Health at Risk"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ther is Competitive pay, and benefits

Cons

long hours, hostile work environment, constant job security fears, highly stressful, 9 hours of being berated by clients and leadership

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. When we started, we were told by leadership we would be supported. Once we hit the floor, we were alone. Often with no available supervisor. Stats help the business, but remember you need to take care of the workers. We are already being abused by the customers, we can't take it from you too. On site mental health professionals would be a great idea. I had to go to therapy following my career at Verizon.

Showing 30 of 8,140 reviews