Verizon Wireless Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK | Glassdoor

3.4
Verizon Wireless Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits offered (in 616 reviews)

• Great pay (a bit more for being bilingual) great benefits since day 1 (in 1583 reviews)

1. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, upbeat, and strong leadership. I genuinely like the people I work with and for trust that those above my (in my organization) do care about those in their chain of command.

Cons

Long unpredictable hours, are probably the biggest con--but I think the same is true about any job in retail. Sales targets are aggressive and sometimes leave you wondering how you can get a team to hit them.

Advice to Management

Work hard and listen to those above you. Believe in the credo, let it guide you in your day to day decisions. You can never go wrong if you do that.

"I would be staying at Verizon if I didn't need a base pay raise...."

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Verizon Wireless (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive incentives. You can make a lot of money at Verizon depending on environment and store. Lots of room for advancement. Lots of paid time off and personal time/vacation.

Cons

The hours are rough. You work a lot of overtime. Don't expect to have a healthy work life balance. The base pay is too low for what they expect of you. It's hard to make money if you don't know the products. So, know your products and how to sell them! Customers are difficult. A lot of customers expect you to coddle them, and they don't back up their phones and blame you for their pictures/contacts being lost when they don't take care of their own property. Escalations are pushed down onto the lower staff. Mgmt claims they are empowering the lower staff, but the lower employees don't have authority to make refunds, or assist in a lot of issues customers have. So customers waste their time complaining, only to find out they were talking to someone who can't help them. And then finally get to a manager, when that's what they were asking for an hour ago. Escalations take time away from your selling. If you work here, find a team of managers that supports your need to sell versus pushing customer complaints to the Solutions Specialists. Every minute counts in wireless. Skip your breaks. Talk to every customer. Jump when you hear the door.

Advice to Management

Raise the base pay. Studies have shown you have better employee retention in sales positions when you do. I would have stayed! Still think it's a great company!

3. "Dissatifaction to the Fullest"

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

Offered good benefits from day one but they changed approx. 7 years, but they are good.

Cons

A company that does not recognize loyal and they do not value their tenured employees. During the workforce reduction phase, Verizon snatched the rug from under the feet of many loyal employees that never caused an ounce of grief or trouble. I can speak personally being an former employee of 18 years, they laid off a single mother that is solely responsible for putting her son through college without financial aid and taking care of a young daughter and this company that proudly boast about being in a participate of 100 Working Mothers is all lies. They never surveyed me as a mother or anyone I knew that was a mother working for the company.

Advice to Management

You should never lay off employees that have tenure and never received a write up or any displinary action in a negative compacity and keep employees that can not even pass a criminal background check to gain access to a Federal customer's facility. No a wise choice and your choices have caused you to lose revenue due to people are hearing about they why you laid off your employees and did not have any reasons to provide. Loyalty and good behavior should account for something from a company like Verizon.

4. "Customer Support"

Former Employee - Business Sale Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Business Sale Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

Offers several career growth opportunities

Cons

none that I can think of at the moment

5. "Great job if you have no ethics!"

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Potential to make decent money if you don't mind lying to customers to meet goals. You get to play with the newest tech, nice discounts on service & accessories. Good benefits. 401k.

Cons

Extremely stressful. Low morale. High turnover rate. Lots of micromanaging. Unrealistic quotas. Low base pay. Unpredictable schedule. Some job requirements aren't disclosed until you're out on the floor, like cold-calling. If you're not good at pushing gimmicky products on people who don't want them, you're gonna have a bad time. It's very hard to meet the ridiculously high quotas unless you work in a very high-traffic store, and the ultra-competitive environment breeds backstabbing and unethical behaviors. Fraud and customer-theft between reps is very common, there have been countless times where I'll be walking towards a customer after greeting them, and another rep will literally run past me to snipe the sale. This behavior is supposedly against the rules, but nothing is ever done about it beyond a "now now, play nice kids!" from management.

This is the most stressful job I've ever had. Your best is never good enough- I get nothing but great surveys, my customers love me and always leave happy, but I'm constantly getting coached for not selling enough. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to try to talk someone who came in to make a partial payment on their past due bill into buying an iPad, or try to sell an 80 year old man a bluetooth speaker to go with his flip phone. You're expected to sell something to every person that walks in the door, even if they just have a question.

You're supposed to put together a "total solution" for each customer, but if that total solution doesn't include $100 in accessories plus a hum, tablet, or jetpack, you get pulled aside and coached. If you do what it takes to get those new lines and don't mention all the hidden costs of all this great stuff you're offering them, you get angry customers coming back a month later demanding to know why they've got a $40 activation fee and a monthly bill for that "free" doodad. It's near impossible to succeed here if you're honest and care about actually helping customers instead of raiding their pockets. You almost have to be shady to do well. The reps who sneak in extra lines, don't disclose activation fees, and silently bill all those free accessories to the customer's account are the ones who get awards and huge commission checks, while honest reps struggle to meet quota each month. Managers will follow you around the store as you work and critique every little thing you do. I have seriously been coached over my *facial expressions*.

The company prides itself on diversity, which sounds great on paper but translates to thinly-veiled racism in real life. In other words- don't expect to move up unless you're black. And if you're over 35- LOL. Don't even dream, you old coot. Older reps are left to rot until they quit so they can bring in another fresh, moldable 22 year old.

Pay rates are unfair. I have over a decade of experience with both tech and customer service, yet brand new reps fresh out of high school have a higher hourly rate than I do. They make a big deal out of keeping your salary a secret, and it's so that you won't find out you're getting paid less than the newbies. It's extremely demoralizing when the 19 year old that just started, who's coming to YOU for help to complete the simplest of tasks, is making more than you. I don't feel valued or appreciated here at all. Promises are not kept and favoritism runs rampant. Even if you meet quota and get great surveys, you get no recognition unless you suck up to management.

Scheduling is awful, it's completely random from day to day. I realize that's part of working retail, but still. The manager's favorites get 2-3 days off in a row and time off whenever they want it, while the rest of us have to ask for days off 3 weeks in advance and even then it's not guaranteed, and we sometimes have to work 6-8 days in a row without a break. If you fall ill and have to call in, they nag you about your attendance until you give up and come in sick to avoid getting fired. You can also expect to work every holiday except thanksgiving and christmas, and "clopen" regularly. This week I'm scheduled to close the night before our 8am monthly meeting, so that night I get to basically just go home and go right back to work. If a customer comes in 5 minutes till close that night, I'll have to help them and most likely get stuck there till 9 or later. Add on another 30-45 minutes for the drive home, and I've barely got any time to do anything but gulp down a TV dinner, take a shower, and go to bed. Forget about work/life balance, work IS your life.

Everyone knows to expect dumb customers in retail, but it still surprises me sometimes. Most are fine, but I've been called names and threatened over things that were completely out of my control, and people have even gotten violent in the store. They want everything for free too. I'm sorry that I can't just GIVE you this $700 phone. Oh, you dunked your phone in the toilet(and handed it to me, awesome) after declining to purchase insurance and now you think you're owed a new one just for being a customer? Then you get the ones who need their hand held for every. little. thing. I enjoy helping people but my god, there's a limit. "I can't figure out how to do incredibly simple things and I've never heard of Google, so I need you to spend the next 3 hours teaching me how to use my phone" It's 2016 and these people act like they've never seen an iPhone before. "What's bluetooth? I don't know my password! There's no dial tone, it's broken!" Then if you help them, congratulations! You're now their personal tech support and they'll come in every other day for the next 2 years to waste your time with stupid questions. Even worse are the non-customers who come in expecting you to troubleshoot phones from OTHER CARRIERS. It's unbelievable. I won't even get into the personal hygiene issues much of the general public seems to struggle with. We have to keep a can of Glade in the back cause the store smells like an egyptian slave market at the end of the day. You can expect to see the grimiest of underbellies in a job like this, so make sure you have a bottle of hand sanitizer on you at all times.

I'm sure I sound whiny and I'm truly sorry, but I'm just burnt out and exhausted. This is one of those jobs where you've either got the stones for it or you don't. I started out eager and excited to begin a great new career but it turned out to be kind of a bait and switch. It's not all bad of course, the benefits ARE very good. I've also met a lot of awesome people, customers and reps alike, who I'll really miss when I leave. I suppose this would be a good first job for young people with no kids or financial responsibilities, but for adults who need a reliable income and a dependable schedule its terrible.

Advice to Management

Actually care about customers and employees. Fix your outdated POS systems. It makes the company look incompetent when your reps are slinging the latest tech and then ringing it up on buggy circa-2005 systems that crash halfway through the transaction. Lower the ridiculous quotas that encourage dishonesty. Realize that life happens and sometimes people have to call in. Live up to your credo of integrity. Promote experienced, hardworking employees instead of your breakroom buddies. Acknowledge that sometimes people just aren't gonna buy stuff no matter how hard we push and don't punish us for it. It's REALLY hard to talk someone into buying a $50 case when they can get the same thing at the mall for $20. Stop lying about other carriers' plans and services and stop making US lie to get people to switch. 3 gigs of data for $45 is a complete ripoff and we are losing customers to other carriers with realistic data plans! There is a reason why so many people have a negative opinion of Verizon, try actually looking into the reasons WHY and do something about it.

6. "Retail Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay pay and benefits. Development

Cons

Work life balance and politics play a big part in promotions.

7. "good"

Current Employee - Telecom Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Telecom Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

bad coworkers foreigner who speaks bad english

"Verizon Needs Improvement in Management"

Former Employee - Verizon Wireless Retail Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products that are in high demand. Good area network coverage in general. Convenient locations.

Cons

Store employees are micro managed and unrealistic sales quotas are expected. That being said, you won't get paid what you have been expecting. Read the fine print.... Just another Carrot on a Stick. Selling products, for example, like phones, screen protectors, cases, and car charger packages are considered a given sale and Not recognized as being productive enough. If you're not selling Home phone connect, Blue Tooth Speakers, Wi-Fi Hot Spot devices, or expensive Data plan "NEW Lines", on top of phone sales, you're Not selling enough!. Managers act inconvenienced when asked for assistance. New Associates are expected to know the POS System right out of training, which is virtually impossible because of it's vast size, nature, and complexity of the system. Additionally, it is frowned upon when an Associate asks Management for assistance, as if they are too important to be bothered. Hello!, That's why you are there! Not to stand around like the CEO and try to look important. These stores have an extremely High turn over rate and burn through employees like there is an endless supply of people to work there. Sorry!, you're Not Apple or Google so get over yourselves. Managers are also very young and immature leaders which equals "Low Morale", "Failure", and "Lost Sales." Would Not recommend working here if you're looking for long term career. You've been warned.

Advice to Management

Store Managers need to be working Managers and actively assist the team to reach goals, answer questions, no matter how trivial, and be available at all times during store hours. Larger stores with high volume have plenty of managers on the floor at any given time. Additionally, if you are going to promote immature leaders, at least make sure Managers know that they are not above being a working manager on the floor.

"They really do take care of you, but commissions is getting worse"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great deals on phone plans, great benefits, pay is good for what you do

Cons

long hours, commissions are getting worse, busy work when not busy

Advice to Management

Care more for the employees and stop changing commission structure for the worse or all of your good employees will be leaving soon

"very well and helpful"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

easy job and pays very well

Cons

lots of meetings every friday and job is very demanding

Advice to Management

if you have the patience its a great place to work

Showing 10 of 8,156 reviews