Verizon Wireless Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits and some positions across the country

Cons

retail work in general can be a challenge. Verizon Wireless Retail channel used to feel like an area that although it was in a retail environment felt like so much more than a retail job. Changes the last few years have for me made served to consistently remind me that it is still retail.

Advice to Management

Ive seen far too many people get promoted on false actions and padded stats that ultimately cost the customer, the company and eventually the employee in the last few years. Promote more carefully.

"Solutions Specialist"

Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Above average base pay compared to the rest of the competitors

-Used to get an extra bonus every quarter based off of how your professionalism was with customers but they decided to add that bonus in your base pay which was nice because sometimes you would get a lower score due to reasons that were not your fault. (ex. My customer rated everything I did a 10/10 but dropped my ranking because of something customer service said they would do." )

- Commission is a plus and especially great during the holidays as well as OT pay

- Great coworkers and often times amazing managers. (I had a few who were tough to deal with during work hours but I knew they were good people after work)

- My DM and his bosses were awesome.

- Extra incentives such as rewards that you could convert to virtually any gift card you can think of. (I probably had over $5000 extra in gift cards for best buy, food, drinks, amazon, etc you name it)

- Very diverse company

- The best service in the industry hands down

Cons

Of course with all the good pay there are reasons why others would leave the company even if we didn't receive all those awesome incentives.

Get ready for all of these:

- The WORST work life balance in the face of the planet. Maybe in the universe even.

- Your only paid days off besides PTO/Sick leave are Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and more recently Easter. You can bet that you will work all the other days that normal people have off on but that is the retail life for you. If you work in a smaller store than it is harder to trade "Day off requests" for obvious reasons.

-Retail Retail Retail Retail Retail hours, life, customers. I worked til 12 AM on holidays at times. During my 4 year tenure here, I didn't see my family that I saw almost every year before that on Christmas or Thanksgiving only because all my family is located 3 hours away.

- As a minority, I've been called some racist names during my time here by customers. Normally during the first 3 years I had thick skin, but sooner or later it gets annoying What's worse are these angry customers say these racist remarks with THEIR KID right next to them. And I wonder why racism is still crazy out here today with people like that. (Just to clarify that was probably only 20-30 customers out of about 4000 I've seen)

-Not just me either I've seen my fair share and my coworkers and managers have all had my back 110% but I'm just saying the customers get pissed when they don't get what they want.

-Very little room to advance unless you want to move into a AM or GM position but once you get past that then you are able to advance at a more rapid rate. (Way more stress in that role)

- The company was confused when I was there as to what their image was shaping to be. From a wireless company that provided top notch service and amazing products to a company that wants to add Cloud, Security, Car services, Home services, and other tech products. Nothing wrong with that but they need to guide the speed as to how to present to the customers. Customers are overwhelmed with newer products when they are still trying to learn their phones. Most customers go to Best Buy, or other bigger stores for Tech other than Cell Phones so they need to be fed slowly that VZW also offers the same tech.

- Don't force us to sell 50 HUMS in 1 month to customers that DON'T need it. I grew tired of selling stuff to customers that don't make sense in their life. We are suppose to ask customers what their daily life consist of and based off of that provide a solution that makes sense. A lot of times this involves selling a Mobile Hotspot or a HUM (car product) and sometimes it literally makes no sense. Yes I want to get paid but I don't want the headache of them coming back asking why they needed this when its suppose to be some type of "Promotion".

- Customers are smarter and purchase cases at a cheaper price for example Amazon, Ebay so VZW needs a better way to give customers the same product instead of $49.99 for a Tech21 case.
    -Corporate Stores and 3rd Party Stores always have miscommunication
    -Most of the issues I've received in my stores were from customers sent to the store by Customer Service.
    -I got tired of hearing "I've been a customer for over 10 years, and I have Fios, I pay you guys a mortage, I should get my activation fees waived" blah blah blah

Advice to Management

Talk to the Sales Reps, the Assistant Managers, and General Managers and ask them what would make them happier to work in Verizon. Remember that they are the front line taking all the bullets for the advertisements they see on TV. Customers walk in and they don't see them as normal people but as "Verizon" which they take pride in but reward and them treat these guys better! I've never been happier since I left. As most of my peers who left VZW said, "There is a life after Verizon"

"Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package was excellent. Upward movement was possible, but the company had to identify you as a "chosen one." You then had to move into a position that was chosen for you.

Cons

Culture was set from the top down. You weren't paid to think, you were paid to obey and to carry the company message.

Advice to Management

Promote people according to their strengths, skills, and experience.

4. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great atmosphere in Retail
    Great benefits
    Access to latest technology

Cons

Pay could be better
    Lack luster discount on products
    Packed retail store lower commission
    3rd party companies make selling hard
    Sr. Management

Advice to Management

Promote from within much faster

5. "Hard work, fair compensation"

Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Benefits are very good. Great company with innovative products. If able relocate the sky is the limit

Cons

Ever changing expectations and inconsistent management. In sales you lack job security month in and month out. Your biggest competition is your own company

Advice to Management

Stay consistent and follow through on initiatives

6. "Senior Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved this job. Both the store co-workers and corporate staff were great to work with and for. I was compensated & recognized for the work I did. Birthday is a paid holiday.

Cons

Holiday hours are always tough

7. "manager"

Former Employee - Patient Transporter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Patient Transporter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay, great benefits, upward mobility

Cons

excessively long working hours
    poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

be more conscious of employee work/life balance

"Used to be awesome :("

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company used to be excellent.. it's still not bad, I think maybe it depends on what part of the company you work for. They have a good 401K at 50% off for your employee line.

Cons

Company is struggling with a vision, resources, and org structure and sales. T-MOBILE is kickin butt and our sales are down along with AT&T. Verizon has had several re-organizations over last few years and many layoffs. So job security is gone. Very delayed response to competitors caused by management's concern that acting would result in not meeting Wall Street expectations. Not a happy place to work because no result is ever good enough. We get pulled on calls often and told we're not meeting numbers and the company is doing poorly. 2016 is the worst I've ever seen the Verizon Wireless culture. Maybe next year will be better hopefully.

Advice to Management

Stop enforcing negative messages... like we notice the CEO doesn't do that. But as you get into the lower levels it's just constantly bad news all day..

"Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Some really great people work there. There's a strong sense of camaraderie. Company operates with integrity.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities for non-sales position. Recent changes have eliminated a lot of non-sales positions with little to no chance for the people who held those jobs to find other work in the company unless they wanted to sell. Distinct sense of ageism in the new campaign to appeal to millennials.

Advice to Management

Millennials aren't the only people who buy technology.

"Zero Work-Life Balance"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The amount of money that I made at Verizon Wireless was amazing, and it kept me there for six years. Retention is great, because the salary is great. It's really tough to find a job anywhere else making that kind of money.

I frequently traveled, which I really enjoyed. The company also had great kick-off events, which would fire you up for the sales year.

Cons

There is zero work-life balance. I managed three locations at one time, and I needed to be available anytime they were open. Forget having a nice family dinner - I could, but they were always interrupted. Even family functions were hijacked by family and friends asking 101 questions about their cellphone. Also, conference calls at 4AM happened; even if I was scheduled off.

In addition to the above, upper management never seemed happy. I had very successful stores, with sales above and beyond sales goals. However, they would be upset that the store didn't even do better than that.

Advice to Management

Don't wait to a kick-off event to praise successes. Also, understand that there needs to be time outside of VZW. There are assistant managers and other operational staff for a reason, empower them and prepare them for the next steps. Some DM's I had were great at this. I had one in particular who was terrible at this.

Showing 41 of 8,893 reviews