Verizon Wireless Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Verizon Wireless Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits offered (in 594 reviews)

• Great pay (a bit more for being bilingual) great benefits since day 1 (in 1536 reviews)

1. "Great benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits and some positions across the country

Cons

retail work in general can be a challenge. Verizon Wireless Retail channel used to feel like an area that although it was in a retail environment felt like so much more than a retail job. Changes the last few years have for me made served to consistently remind me that it is still retail.

Advice to Management

Ive seen far too many people get promoted on false actions and padded stats that ultimately cost the customer, the company and eventually the employee in the last few years. Promote more carefully.

2. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great atmosphere in Retail
    Great benefits
    Access to latest technology

Cons

Pay could be better
    Lack luster discount on products
    Packed retail store lower commission
    3rd party companies make selling hard
    Sr. Management

Advice to Management

Promote from within much faster

3. "Hard work, fair compensation"

Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Benefits are very good. Great company with innovative products. If able relocate the sky is the limit

Cons

Ever changing expectations and inconsistent management. In sales you lack job security month in and month out. Your biggest competition is your own company

Advice to Management

Stay consistent and follow through on initiatives

5. "Senior Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved this job. Both the store co-workers and corporate staff were great to work with and for. I was compensated & recognized for the work I did. Birthday is a paid holiday.

Cons

Holiday hours are always tough

6. "manager"

Former Employee - Patient Transporter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Patient Transporter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay, great benefits, upward mobility

Cons

excessively long working hours
    poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

be more conscious of employee work/life balance

"Used to be awesome :("

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company used to be excellent.. it's still not bad, I think maybe it depends on what part of the company you work for. They have a good 401K at 50% off for your employee line.

Cons

Company is struggling with a vision, resources, and org structure and sales. T-MOBILE is kickin butt and our sales are down along with AT&T. Verizon has had several re-organizations over last few years and many layoffs. So job security is gone. Very delayed response to competitors caused by management's concern that acting would result in not meeting Wall Street expectations. Not a happy place to work because no result is ever good enough. We get pulled on calls often and told we're not meeting numbers and the company is doing poorly. 2016 is the worst I've ever seen the Verizon Wireless culture. Maybe next year will be better hopefully.

Advice to Management

Stop enforcing negative messages... like we notice the CEO doesn't do that. But as you get into the lower levels it's just constantly bad news all day..

"Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Some really great people work there. There's a strong sense of camaraderie. Company operates with integrity.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities for non-sales position. Recent changes have eliminated a lot of non-sales positions with little to no chance for the people who held those jobs to find other work in the company unless they wanted to sell. Distinct sense of ageism in the new campaign to appeal to millennials.

Advice to Management

Millennials aren't the only people who buy technology.

"Zero Work-Life Balance"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The amount of money that I made at Verizon Wireless was amazing, and it kept me there for six years. Retention is great, because the salary is great. It's really tough to find a job anywhere else making that kind of money.

I frequently traveled, which I really enjoyed. The company also had great kick-off events, which would fire you up for the sales year.

Cons

There is zero work-life balance. I managed three locations at one time, and I needed to be available anytime they were open. Forget having a nice family dinner - I could, but they were always interrupted. Even family functions were hijacked by family and friends asking 101 questions about their cellphone. Also, conference calls at 4AM happened; even if I was scheduled off.

In addition to the above, upper management never seemed happy. I had very successful stores, with sales above and beyond sales goals. However, they would be upset that the store didn't even do better than that.

Advice to Management

Don't wait to a kick-off event to praise successes. Also, understand that there needs to be time outside of VZW. There are assistant managers and other operational staff for a reason, empower them and prepare them for the next steps. Some DM's I had were great at this. I had one in particular who was terrible at this.

"Solutions Specialist"

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to earn a living. Verizon Wireless provides the best pay and benefits in the industry. Verizon Wireless is an industry leader that refuses to allow the others to catch up.

Cons

Promotions to management seem to be based purely on sales numbers and not on who is actually qualified to manage. Managers are often clearly past great sales people who may have been better off not leaving their sales positions. Retail hours make for a very difficult work/balance.

Advice to Management

Promote the right people, not the people who are the top performers. Top performance does not make you a good manager.

11. "Small/Medium business account representative"

Current Employee - Small/Medium Business Account Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Verizon has been good to me financially.

Cons

Expectations can be unrealistic at times.

Advice to Management

The leaders of the organization are not as in touch with reality as they could be.

Showing 39 of 7,907 reviews