Verizon Wireless Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Verizon Wireless Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits offered (in 616 reviews)

• Great pay (a bit more for being bilingual) great benefits since day 1 (in 1583 reviews)

1. "WORST EMPLOYER"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Britain, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Britain, CT

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

higher pay, proximity, state of the art

Cons

unreasonable expectations, slavedrivers, lazy management, overwhelming email volume, insensitive to disabled

Advice to Management

Loosen up if you don't want to go the way of the dinosaur

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros Horrible unbearable trreatment from staff makes you lie to customer.

Cons

The worst experience hands down in my life

Advice to Management

Fire all the management come up with a new solution for your retail stores or they will eventually close.

"Long term sales rep of over 14 years"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Northville Township, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Northville Township, MI

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Technology and working with our customers. Best network ever.

Cons

Absolutely terrible core of upper management. Pointing fingers at everyone and anyone but themselves. Unrealistic quotas to keep your pay in check. They have it down to a science now. They are not the company they used to be and I could list at least 50 names of hard working and loyal employees that "earned the right" to lifetime career with this company including myself and were either forced out by pay decreases or by simply letting them go by using unrealistic quotas . These were employees of over 5 or more years.

Advice to Management

Hire from within your company. Stop bringing in recent college grads to manage the people that made your store awesome to begin with. It's not fair and simply says you don't care about people that work hard for you. No class at all.

"Nightmare"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Tampa, FL

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. It's a come up job. You get your benefits and use it for whatever needs to be done

Cons

Work life balance is horrible. Half of the staff is under fmla for stress. Dead end job. At the call center I worked at, everyone fighting for supervisor position do they let you become an "acting supervisor" only to hire people from the outside anyway

Advice to Management

Advocate for your employees

"Started off good, only got worse"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The 50% discount on service, and it's still really expensive.
    Peers are usually awesome (not management)
    35% discount off accessories.

Cons

The management. The calls. The way you're treated. The calls. Lots of dumped calls which you shouldn't even be taking but have to anyways because management forces you. The surveys after calls. The calls. Oh did I mention the calls? If you're a veteran, especially at taking calls... be prepared to never be promoted.

Advice to Management

Know veteran employees worth and get them promoted.

"NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. Say goodbye to your family!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent, as is pay... but you have to work your tail off.

Cons

Management is horrible. Makes life pretty miserable at work when you work for a millennial slave driver on a power trip. Verizon has gone away from being both customer and employee centric, and is now only concerned with the bottom line dollar and how it looks to stock holders. Quota is insane now, it's hard to make any money. Used to be a great company, kind of sad it's gone in this direction. I've been with the company for over fifteen years and I'm disgusted with how the company is now treating customers and employees. You are basically forced to sell your soul and there is no consideration for what's best for the customer. Example: customer comes in who is sick, dying of cancer. Has no money to purchase anything other than the phone. You are berated and beat down on why you didn't sell them a hum, a tablet, step their plan up to more money, and why you didn't get $100 in revenue (accessories) with it. Like I said, no moral or ethical standards any more. No concern for the customer. Just the bottom line. Didn't use to be like that, but now you are chewed out for putting a SCREEN PROTECTOR on an 80 year old arthritic customer's phone. I wouldn't recommend Verizon to any one. You are required to work these insane shifts averaging 50 hours per week under the most insane micro managing conditions from aforementioned millennial high horse, power tripper who literally sits in the office all day, tells you nothing is ever good enough, and never closes on top of only averaging 35 hours per week. On a typical closing day, you won't leave til 10pm. If you commute, you'll hate your life, what little one you have working here. No weekends off, closing all the time, customers yelling at you, all while working in a completely depressing work place. It's sad. I'd rather be hit by a car than walk in that door. Work for a prison, you'll get state benefits and it's the same environment.

Advice to Management

Chill out. Realize we are your bread and butter, the employees are what makes the company money. Invest more time in us and have a better communication between the ivory tower leadership and front line peons. Stop hiring managers who aren't ready for the gig and are horrible people creating stressful and hostile work environments. Promote leaders who will lead, not politic and berate.

"Terrible job."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome pay.
    Benifits from day one.
    Fun company events.

Cons

A very stressful job, coming from someone who was a customer service manager of a huge company, that means it's very stressful.
    If you are a true customer advocate or have morals then this job is not for you. Verizon says they work with intergirty. But I wonder for who? The customer or the company?
    Forget your happiness, it'll be gone while you are at work.
    Unrealistic metrics.
    You will always be messing up on something, they are huge on "constructive" criticism.
    Micro managing taken to a new level.
    If you have a bad supervisor, which there are a lot lot lot of, you will absolutely hate the job. Unfortunat as that is, you'll be stuck with that same supervisor until the next shift bid. Which is only twice a year.
    A very unstimulating job.
    Honestly the job depressed me every day I went in.

Advice to Management

Make sure your supervisor are qualified to run a team. Especially transition supervisors. There are some terrible transition supervisor out there. If a new hire supervisor has a high employee turn over rate, then maybe you should re evaluate them.
    Re-evaluate your metrics. They are too unrealistic especially when it comes to disconnects.
    Try to treat your associates as people not just a number.
    Train your store reps to work with integrity and not to screw the customer over for higher compensation and then have them call the call center for a correction. So we take the hit.
    Upgrade your equipment. I mean, you are a technology company.

8. "horrible to their employees"

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

absolutely nothing they are crooks

Cons

questions all about their integrity consistently switch supervisor's

Advice to Management

retrain AD's and supervisors

9. "Grass is really greener on the other side!"

Former Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay if you want to sell your soul

Cons

Forced to sell and serve customers in the most unethical way you can possibly imagine.

Advice to Management

Step down and let someone who is actually qualified to lead take over.

"Good company but they don't take care of their people."

Current Employee - Solution Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Solution Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401k benefits and other great healthcare. Vacation and personal time are given in a good quantity. Vest after 3 years.

Cons

The company constantly punishes their employees for following the rules. Nothing is ever good enough and they will try to fire you if you go on leave of absence or STD. Layoffs are frequent although we were promised it wouldn't happen. Definitely not a rewarding place to work and it continues to get more demanding. There is a lack of integrity from within the company and HR is more about saving the business from headaches than looking out for the employees. Many of the sales tactics are old school and extremely aggressive and some have even scare tactics and manipulation of costs. The company pushes for adds of lines in order to keep Wall Street up on demand and when I does so it creates a sales culture that varies from business to business because there is no control of the District managers. Micro managing is a must here and results are expected now without knowledge. There is a clear lack of communication and the CEO needs a reality check.

Advice to Management

Stay away it's a down hill slide for this company. You're better heading to a competitor.

Showing 576 of 8,163 reviews