Verizon Wireless Senior Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Verizon Wireless Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam
Lowell McAdam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It definitely made work life balance for the 12 wks a little conflicting since excused time doesn (in 947 reviews)

• No work life balance (you are supposed to attend the call even at 12 AM) (in 267 reviews)

1. "Awesome feeling of togetherness"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment
    Awesome benefits and career advancement
    Tuition Assistance
    Learning portals for individual learning opportunities
    Competitive pay

Cons

Frequent shift bids make it hard to adjust outside life
    High call volume but a lot of support will be given

Advice to Management

Once a year shift bids vs multiple during the year

"It was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were great. There was room for advancement. A great variety of people you worked with.

Cons

High stress company. We called it Verizon change wireless. We were the largest and most productive call center, also the most expensive, and we got shut down. We were laid off.

Advice to Management

Remember the customer service reps are the heart of the company. To make them feel as if they are not worthy of the job will not get good production. They are people and shouldn't be treated like any less than you.

3. "Senior Customer Service"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Greenville, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture, everything is always changing, I love that about Verizon, And you feel like you make a difference in the people lives who call in.

Cons

The Metrics are always changing, you have to meet your goal and surveys matter. Sometimes the customer may press the wrong button meaning to give you a 10, but give a 1

Advice to Management

Understand that everyone is not going to do things the way would do it, or say it. There are more than one way to skin a cat

"Excellent Benefits Retain Employees"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Verizon Wireless gave me a great foundation for a career in customer service. I learned to truly de-escalate almost any situation. I also was able to form some long-lasting friendships and networking connections during my time there. The other huge perk of working at VZW is the benefits... I paid literally $15 to have a baby in 2010. The health insurance, 401K matching, EAP, discounts, onsite gym, bonuses, etc-- it's why I stayed for so long.

Cons

I worked in a call center and it was soul-wrenching. Those of us who have gotten out refer to our days there as 'in the trenches.' We have the same shared trauma experience.

The first 9 months were OK--great training and several weeks of support from more tenured reps-- but there is only so much of the exact same motions, words, and phone calls that one can take. It's a constant barrage of insults and seeing the worst in people (the customers) Instead of understanding how hard it is to be on the Front Lines, upper management just makes it harder. For example, you are only allowed to use the bathroom during very specific allotments of time during the day. Same with lunch. If you have to sign off the phones when it's not your scheduled break then your adherence is docked. While this may be a common practice among call centers, VZW takes it very far. When I was pregnant with my son I had to complete FMLA paperwork with my OB indicating that it was a necessary workplace arrangement to allow me to use the bathroom at will. I'm completely serious.

Another Con to working there is that there is a firm ceiling in regards to employee growth. There are some reps who have been on the phones for 10+years and there is no hope for them to be promoted or to even just do something different. If you want to try to move to another department then you lose your seniority--which controls what kind of schedule you have. It seemed to me that those in management and/or Training were there from the beginning and were not planning to move on. Why would they? They don't have to deal with customers, they can use the bathroom whenever they want, they get paid more than CSR reps, AND they get those amazing benefits.

Corporate Propaganda:
    The higher-ups in the company will occasionally come visit the call centers and host 'kick-offs' where we are all so excited to get some time off the phones. There is loud music, catchy videos, and even t-shirt guns! They give a very high/vague overview of upcoming plans and products. But if you try to meet with them, or ask any type of serious question you are immediately shut down. Even the managers cannot break though to them.

At some point you have to either become a robot, or you have to leave.

Advice to Management

Remember that those on the Front Lines are actual human beings like yourself. Listen to them. Be more transparent with employees. Grow your employees and they will be even more likely to stay, be more loyal to the brand, and ultimately serve the customers better.

"Like most call centers it's all who you shuck and jive with"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Hanover, MD

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

Benefits...(even though cell plans should be 75% off for employees being that most consumers cell bills look like a Toyota Corolla car note but whatever)
    Time off ( if the "books are open of course ) they start full time employees with 80hrs vaca and 8 hrs sick ...

Cons

Where do I begin lol...if you don't want to make it a career get in and get out...the call center in Hanover was God Awful...from mangement to the high school like cliques

"Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Senior Representative Financial Services in Antioch, TN

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was easy to move up within Verizon Wireless and they are really good about giving annual raises and bonuses. The training is the best i've ever had. Things i learned in new hire traing about customer service i'll use forever

Cons

The customer service call center position can be very stressful. They do not always make it fair as far as surveys and not being able to be very flexible with what can be offered in terms of credits or other things customers want.

Advice to Management

Keep the environment fun, because the job itself is hard and stressful

"Stressful, Unfair treatment, Depressing"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Medical and dental benefits, 401k, annual bonus, vacation, sick time, company off site time for annual employee recognition. Nice lobby & outside area.

Cons

Supervisors are very unprofessional, both male AD's are very ghetto. They only care about the numbers & making themselves look good. Shift bids by performance instead of seniority like it use to be.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and knowledgeable. Treat every employee with respect and don't show favoritism. Most supervisors think because they have a title, that gives them a reason to be fake & act like they can say or do whatever they want to employee Reps.

"Network Coordinator"

Former Employee - Network Coordinator/Administrative, Senior Customer Representative, Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

I hate Reorganization time. Uuggh!

Advice to Management

Age is just a number.

9. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Canal Winchester, OH

I worked at Verizon Wireless (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits from day 1 Awesome

Cons

they normally do not rehire former employees

Advice to Management

you should have a remote work from home department. and give people a option to work on sat or sunday

10. "Sr. Customer Service Call Center Rep"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits from STI (bonus ) to health, 401k etc.

Cons

Stressful- focused on sales vs. what a customer needs.