Vermont Information Processing Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "developer"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good people
    - really strong company financials and stewards to keep us on the same path
    - slow, steady growth over a long period with calculated risks
    - flexible for those that earn it
    - employee owned so the profits come back to us
    - fast paced work that changes over time
    - continuous improvement is aimed for
    - pretty solid benefits
    - family friendly - good work/life balance

Cons

- flat org leads to confusion and messiness in middle layer over lack of clarity on responsibilities
    - often still thinks more like a small company
    - no dental
    - prioritize engineering over implementation workarounds and extra processes

Advice to Management

- communicate management decisions more often. Show that you're helping steer the ship.
    - evolve and modernize our culture and norms faster

2. "Fine launching point, not a career"

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time

Pros

Great people, nice benefits, the opportunity to learn a lot if you're willing to work. On-site daycare is great for those with kids

Cons

Low pay, and you have no idea what you're going to be doing tomorrow. Management can be incredibly inflexible and petty if you say something he doesn't like.

"Good people, interesting business, dated culture"

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting business

Growing company

Always work to do

Good people to work with

Cons

Dated culture e.g. 8-5 "attendance" culture, remote work frowned upon, lots of emphasis placed on how long an employee has been working there

No Dental plan

Limited vacation time, other perks seem to apply to very specific interests

Limited upward mobility and career advancement

Advice to Management

Having a focus on helping with career advancement would be huge - give the title and pay raise along with the responsibility. Explore additional perks and benefits - dental is an incredibly noticeable omission as a benefit.

4. "Excellent work environment for hard-working career beginners"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colchester, VT

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent health benefits, fitness-oriented, good colleagues with a small community vibe. Ability to make changes that have real impact.

Cons

Low wages, lack of structure, no dental coverage, inability to grow into management position.

5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere with people that are good to work with. Lots of extracurricular activities with coworkers if you want. Work is different everyday and challenging. Can be rewarding if you put the work in.

Cons

Communication can be difficult between departments. The software isn't streamlined in that there isn't one way to do something or fix a problem.

6. "Distributor Manager"

Current Employee - Distributor Accounts Manager in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Distributor Accounts Manager in Burlington, VT

Pros

Friendly, Active and fast growing. Employee owned business that has a firm hold on it's market wit no where to go but bigger. Potential for advancements are unlimited.

Cons

Did I mention they are fast growing. Time to hire and train causes work load to be intense. After initial training you learn as you go.

Advice to Management

Hire a few more bodies- you've got the space. Less work load will yield better service to the customers and happy stress free employees.

"Sales driven software"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Colchester, VT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Colchester, VT

Pros

Nice people
    Around average salary for the location
    Good retirement benefits (for now)

Cons

Growth within the company is slow

Software development is driven by sales department; not customer needs

Little to no employee development programs
    No education compensation

Antiquated software platform that is very resistant to innovation

Advice to Management

Treatdevelopers as a valuable company resources rather then disposable assets.

8. "Hidden Gem"

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time

Pros

100% employee owned! Great company where people work hard and play hard.
    On site daycare and great fitness facilities.
    Many technologies used and always adjusting to meet customers needs.

Cons

None. But you have to be willing to always learn many new things, work hard and share your ideas. ( which in my book is a Pro)

9. "Fun, good experience work....low pay"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Colchester, VT
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Colchester, VT

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience. Many people in this position went on to get MBAs.

Expenses paid on-site

Cons

Low pay for alot of work.

Low limit on expenses

No room for advancement, flat org.

Advice to Management

Don't be so damn cheap!

10. "Strong Company and more to come"

Current Employee - Projects/Implementation
    Current Employee - Projects/Implementation

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Much of what other reviewers noted. Child care, health benefits, gym access both on and off premise. New building and parking lot alleviate the previous complaints about space.
    Hard work is recognized regularly. Don't expect a parade for little things, but if you keep your head down and do the job well, you'll see results. Initiative is rewarded as well. If you have an idea or process that may help your fellow workers, it's encouraged to give it a shot.
    Being in a "projects" department, I travel frequently. VIP lets me keep the benefits of that travel (status, airline points etc). Generous ESOP for those willing to stay for several years.
    Self management approach. Managers will let you do what you do best in my department. They don't feel the need to micro manage. They do expect that if you have issues, you report to them so they can get you the appropriate resources.
    Low politics and red tape. Since it's a relatively flat company in terms of hierarchy it's easy to voice an opinion and be heard. Doesn't mean they will accept it, but I've never had an issue getting to my manager and higher to present new ideas or concerns.
    Bottom line, you can get what you put into it. It may take some patience and a little while, but work hard, and VIP will take care of you. This isn't a "do the minimum and get rich" workplace.

Cons

Requires good personal management skills. If you require some one telling you the next step every time, it's probably not going to be the easiest job.
    Recognition - You get it, but it's a plain "Thata way to do it". Don't expect fanfare and trumpets. If you require constant reinforcement for your work, may not be a great fit.
    Software is a legacy product. The company is working hard on improving constantly though, We are slowly but positively getting with the current tech. Still, there is a reason we've been a primary software solution for beer route accounting systems for over 20 years.

Advice to Management

It seems we are moving in the right direction. Make sure time lines and goals are accurate and build in some "floating" time to achieve the results. Keep listening to the employees, they are the front line and the back bone with the customers, the products, and the company. If there is a common sentiment among them, it is probably worth looking into and addressing.