Vermont Teddy Bear Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Positive Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interaction between departments and management/employees has improved.
    Positive work environment
    Great benefits
    Flexible scheduling - family friendly business

Cons

Lack of communication between groups/departments

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees. One "bad apple" takes others down quickly
    Stay true to brand - we are successful because of who we are. Anyone can buy a bear for less money, ours are special because of who we are and what we do. Don't lose sight of our brand.

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Shelburne, VT
    Former Employee - Manager in Shelburne, VT

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everything. The best place on the planet to work. From benefits to the people to the culture.. Nothing beats it....

Cons

There aren't any. This is the dream company. The hours are long around the holidays but it is such a team effort and everyone gets along so well that those hours are even fun..

Advice to Management

Best management and treatment of employees I have seen anywhere. I left for a great opportunity but don't think I could ever replace the atmosphere and team spirit I felt ever again..

"Pass on this place"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time

Pros

Good discounts, good benefits, pretty building

Cons

Utterly disorganized, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to everything. If you are ambitious and have new ideas about how to do things, this place isn't for you. Lots of professional jealousy, zero help given when needed to find resources, etc., and there are people who have been there for years who are extremely protective of their positions. Also several Regina George type of women who will make life extremely difficult for you if you cross them. If I could give zero stars, I would.

Advice to Management

Start separating the wheat from the chaff. There are talented people at this company but they are overshadowed and blocked by others far less talented.

4. "Seasonal Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Casual dress code

Cons

Drama, changes all the time

5. "Good and friendly people, middling pay, questionably-ethical business practices with customers"

Former Employee - Seasonal Call Center in Shelburne, VT
    Former Employee - Seasonal Call Center in Shelburne, VT

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees, warm smiles, gentle encouragement, etc. Flexible hours (you let them know when you're available in advance). Selling fluffy and whimsical joyous stuff like teddy bears and pajamas

Cons

Unethical (in my opinion) marketing and business practices. Stingy on returns/refund policies, resulting in upset customers and low morale. Boston-based investors have squeezed double the profits out of the company in recent years, but the staff that makes it happen doesn't see any of that money. High staff turnover due to simmering low morale (most competent folks find higher-paying jobs elsewhere). Increasing reliance on BDSM-based and adult "sexy" products, as opposed to their original fluffy and family-friendly wares... it's only a matter of time before they selling bears along with d*ldos. Mediocre employee salaries. Inadequate training. Treat seasonal workers like children with "fun games" and sales contests. Try to bribe increased morale by offering stingy prizes: a *chance* to win a $20 coffee card (1 card total for 20 employees over a 2-week period... what an embarrassing offer). Almost their entire business is selling Chinese-made crap at an obscene markup; only the original teddy bears are made in Vermont, but the larger bears, all paamas, and accessories are made overseas in who-knows-what-conditions. What most upset me was the deceptive marketing (sending out coupon codes that didn't exist, for example) and the advertising support of hateful, divisive (and un-Vermonty) radio programs like Rush Limbaugh.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better to please *them* instead of your investors. And stop scamming your customers.

6. "seasonal work at VT Teddy Bear"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trainers and supervisors were mostly friendly, helpful, and patient. Very flexible scheduling. Decent employee discount if you need bears, brownies, or pajamas for the holidays.

Cons

Some of the customer service calls can be tricky and are better suited to be handled by experienced employees rather than seasonal workers.

"Employment review"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Flexible work schedule - They are very accomodating to your current schedule - Great as a second job
    *Great co-workers - the employees are super friendly, helpful and welcoming. Most folks are ready to help whenever needed with a smile.
    *BEARS - this doesn't really need explaining...we work with BEARS all day!
    *Awesome customers

Cons

*Management - The company has struggled to keep the positive work environment alive. Big changes have been made to every aspect of the company and the communication about said changes has been non-existent. There is now a feeling of confusion, fear and resentment among employees. Positions are "eliminated" and the long-time (10+ year) veteran employee is "let go" and the position is then immediately posted, usually using a different title but sharing all of the same responsibilities.
    *Products - slowly, VTB has been introducing "hybrid" bears - aka Made In China. Those of us who work here because of what VTB stands for (quality bears handmade in the USA) are disappointed every time a new bear or fur is introduced. The quality seems to be going quickly downhill, but the cost hasn't changed
    *Teamwork - I no longer work on a team at VTB, I now do my work on my own with little interaction with other departments or even other aspects of my own department. The company will sometimes do "Employee Appreciation Days" that can only be enjoyed by management themselves and a few select departments that are able to stop working at the drop of a hat. Those who are actually serving our customers (Call Center and Retail) are never able to take part, as the customers don't stop calling/visiting the store.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and LISTEN to what they have to say. Having employee meetings, BBQs etc is pointless if the entire company cannot attend. You are ostracizing your employees by hosting multiple events they cannot attend. In the 4 years I have been a full-time employee here, I have spent a total of 30 minutes at an employee appreciation event and it was normally scheduled lunch break.

By treating your employees like people and not possessions, you will not only see less turn-over, but you will have a happier, more dedicated and efficient staff!

PS - CEO is listed incorrectly, thus the neutral review of him.

8. "summer job"

Pros

Everyone working there is super nice; a great place to work. Of all the summer jobs, working with teddy bears was pretty great!

Cons

I really can't think of any, I had a great time working here.

9. "Busy Environment"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was always something to do there. Benefits are key there as not many Vermont companies get close to offering what they do. Had great boss whom was laid back but not all management was the same

Cons

Management was not consistent across the company. Title descriptions meant nothing as a coordinator could be making equal to a specialist or manager. Hidden information from above, superiority of who should know what

Advice to Management

Mandate that management needs to check in with employees and have managers be truly enthusiastic about doing so as it is obvious what team players are chosen ones

10. "Nice work environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shelburne, VT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shelburne, VT

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly staff at Vt Teddy Bear. When you start they take you on a tour of the facilitates and very clearly want you to enjoy the work you do.

Cons

I worked in customer service which is always a little dull.