Vermont Teddy Bear Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "maintenance manager"

Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Shelburne, VT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Shelburne, VT

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. A gentle company that cares about their employees. Very straight forward management ( no mind games). Everyone just works together.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. During Christmas season the work is very intense but everyone is still helping each other get the work done.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of any advice or management. The management has strong skills and they are always open to peoples ideas.

2. "Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people and a variety of projects to work on.

Cons

Often times it was slow and the work was repetitive.

3. "A Fun Place to Work!"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time

Pros

I met some really good people at Vermont Teddy Bear! People who really cared about their job, the company and their coworkers. It gets crazy busy during the holidays but you still see people laughing and having a good time. I enjoyed my job and earned a lot but it was time for my next adventure.

Cons

Communication could be better, but I think that people are aware and trying to make improvements.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and things will continue to get better.

4. "So far so good"

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear part-time

Pros

Easy interview and hiring process, very friendly management, rotating responsibilities so you aren't doing the same thing all day long, interacting with tourists, children, and people from all over the world, tours aren't terribly difficult to give. Also schedules are created three weeks out, and daily schedules include when each person is slotted for lunch - there's no question about when you're expected to do things.

Cons

Lots of standing and tidying the retail area - during slow times, work can get boring. Pay is minimum wage.

"Not the happy place everyone thinks it is"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent healthcare and other benefits; some of the people are great to work with; easy parking; company discounts on already overpriced products.

Cons

Where to start. If you like to feel like you are on a never ending Hamster wheel then this is the place for you. The company is poorly managed and management walks around with heads in the clouds. People are always leaving the company so managers put additional tasks on already over worked staff with no pay increase or even a thank you. Management allows three “princesses” to run the show. If you are not liked by them then you will be shunned. It’s very “Mean Girl” like here. They promote people to management who can’t even manage themselves. They will work you to the bone then throw you away basically. In my years here I have seen at least 20 of more people quit including the HR department twice now. Basically if you like to be bullied at work then work at VTB if you don’t then go elsewhere to be treated with respect.

Advice to Management

Managers need to retire or find other jobs. VTB will never get better unless the investigators get rid of the incompetent fools that currently run the place. I wound give more advice to management but they think they are God’s and won’t listen anyway.

Vermont Teddy Bear Response

May 23, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

I was just made aware of this post and I thank you for the feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, collaborative and transparent environment for all of our employees. I am... More

"Terrible"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear part-time

Pros

Freebies during the holiday season (various foods and raffle prizes)

Cons

If I could rate with no stars I would. Low pay. Management in distribution is awful. Manager I had was aggressive, didn't get along with any of my seasonal coworkers, and ended up firing our team lead a few days before the season ended. Heard from many who work full time that management has a bad history of firing many folks. This place appears to have a high turnover rate. I quit and spoke a few words to HR before leaving.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay and properly communicate pay rates for all shifts. Have actual training standards to prepare for the holiday season. Fire any aggressive managers who have inability to retain workers for the season.

7. "Decent Seasonal part time work"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear part-time

Pros

Generally a good place. Nice coworkers.

Cons

Low pay. Boring work. Far from town.

8. "Positive Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelburne, VT

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interaction between departments and management/employees has improved.
    Positive work environment
    Great benefits
    Flexible scheduling - family friendly business

Cons

Lack of communication between groups/departments

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees. One "bad apple" takes others down quickly
    Stay true to brand - we are successful because of who we are. Anyone can buy a bear for less money, ours are special because of who we are and what we do. Don't lose sight of our brand.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Shelburne, VT
    Former Employee - Manager in Shelburne, VT

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everything. The best place on the planet to work. From benefits to the people to the culture.. Nothing beats it....

Cons

There aren't any. This is the dream company. The hours are long around the holidays but it is such a team effort and everyone gets along so well that those hours are even fun..

Advice to Management

Best management and treatment of employees I have seen anywhere. I left for a great opportunity but don't think I could ever replace the atmosphere and team spirit I felt ever again..

"Pass on this place"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time

Pros

Good discounts, good benefits, pretty building

Cons

Utterly disorganized, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to everything. If you are ambitious and have new ideas about how to do things, this place isn't for you. Lots of professional jealousy, zero help given when needed to find resources, etc., and there are people who have been there for years who are extremely protective of their positions. Also several Regina George type of women who will make life extremely difficult for you if you cross them. If I could give zero stars, I would.

Advice to Management

Start separating the wheat from the chaff. There are talented people at this company but they are overshadowed and blocked by others far less talented.