Versum Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2019

2.9
Guillermo Novo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Wayyy different than Air Products culture" (in 3 reviews)

• "Your voice means nothing, you mean nothing, upper management clueless" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of communication from senior management" (in 2 reviews)

• "As a new company there are still developing areas but they are open to suggestions" (in 2 reviews)

"Bright Future"

Current Employee - Manager in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Versum Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have the industry leading tools to do my job and the support of my management to be successful. We are a growing company with a good merit and bonus plan and great benefits. I have the technology I need to do my job and challenge me to grow. HR is also making enhancements to performance management and making sure employee talents are recognized.

Cons

The changes that our company has gone through have now set us up for success and growth.

Oct 30, 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review. At Versum Materials we are dedicated to ensuring that our employees have the resources that they need for success.

2. "good pay, good benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hometown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hometown, PA

I have been working at Versum Materials full-time

Pros

company interest in development and new technology

Cons

focused on cost cutting, not growth

Apr 16, 2019 – HR Operations

With our recent announcement to merge with Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, we are really excited to have the opportunity to further invest in development, technology and our employees.

3. "Lots of Changes"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Versum Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent pay good work life, manager

Cons

changes are coming and will be interesting

Apr 16, 2019 – HR Operations

We will continue to keep employees posted as we move through the integration plans with Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.

4. "Avoid vultee street at all cost"

Former Employee - Orbital Welder in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Orbital Welder in Allentown, PA

I worked at Versum Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only pro out of this whole experience for working there was 29 dollar an hour pay for manufacturing guys in union ie. orbital welders and test techs

Cons

Where do I start.. let’s Just day they are stuck in their old ways and bad work practices from when plant opened up 30 years ago because guys that work there are old fashioned and don’t like change. They hate young guys coming in there and doing the job 10x faster,proficient and more technologically advanced. The vacation is horrible probably the worst I’ve ever seen Only 5 vacation days a year for the first 3 years. No sick days 1 personal day They treat you like uneducated little school kids that can be replaced at any second. There is only 1, 10 minute break and a 15 min lunch where you are forced to scarf down you food extremely fast. Also don’t even think about touching your cell phone to even just look at the time. you will he sent home for the day and written up which is absurd. You are not allowed to go to you car on break . They blast terrible oldies/disco music and classic rock all day long through out the plant. Also there is no talking during the work day. Yes you heard it! you’re are legit not allowed to talk to coworkers at all Or you will get yelled at by supervisors. If you have to go to bathroom the management looks at you crazy and ask where you are going and why.
    They people in charge are degrading and always try’s to make you feel stupid if you ask questions. I’ve worked at other high tech companies this by far the worst. The front offices get treated like normal educated people while ya guys in the plant manufacturing and testing these products (you know the guys making this company millions a year) are nobody’s.
    The head guy in the corner office only cares about 2 things, production numbers and himself.
    Most of us are united state veterans and this is how they treated us it’s unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Mass firing and start from scratch

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Versum Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package and co-workers are the best

Cons

None thus far... merger is startling

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Versum"

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Tamaqua, PA
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Tamaqua, PA

I have been working at Versum Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent direct-line management, good advancement opportunities, challenging careers, good work/life balance

Cons

Health insurance can be better

"Dead End"

Current Employee - Megasys Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Megasys Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Versum Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work to time off ratio is great for family time and the Techs you work with up to some supervisors are great hard working people.

Cons

Mid level chems management, isn't management at all they only care about themself and what makes them stand out. Growth is nonexistent on this site if your not part of the good ole boy group. If that particular group likes you they will get you in and help you succeed. Site manager is non existing he doesn't see what is going on and that's because he is not evolved with the Techs that keep him afloat. They can't keep employees what so ever and that's because they are not taken care of. Training for this job is a joke. They don't prepare the employee to be able to come on to shift and slip into the mix they throw some basics at them and toss them to the wolves. There are more than 10 employees I know that are actively looking for a better job just to get out.

Advice to Management

Clean house and get rid of your "toxic leadership" especially in the mid management level. If the good ole boy system isn't broke up your employee retaining rate will never change for the better. Maybe Entegris will make some changes and actually listen to what is going on instead of turning a blind eye.

8. "Ok"

Former Employee - Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Versum Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your not oversahdowed all day .

Cons

Long shifts , night shifts . Pay is ok . Working with weird guys

"Dead End Company"

Former Employee - Chemical Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Chemical Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Versum Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay borders just below fair for the jobs you're expected to do

Cons

After 7 Years training is a huge problem. I have seen at least 100 employees leave or get fired in that time. They have lost numerous contracts also and are on track to lose others so this is a dead end company.

They give you procedures and insist that you should be able to follow them and know when they get you in trouble or are wrong so it's all on you.

So often an aggressive and hostile approach is taken towards us the employees. We are often told that we don't get paid by the drum change, we get paid by the hour. But all who have been here even briefly know this to be a farcical and deceptive statement.

We are expected to perform flawlessly in a flawed environment where training is overlooked and insufficient..We are told "Flawless Execution" and adherence to the procedures will absolve us and at the same time we're ridiculed and punished for not knowing when to stop the job. Word of mouth training has been a very popular method over the 7 years I've been here. And we are regularly asked to sign training role sheets before and even in the absence of said training. They're often passed around in bundles of 3 or more.

It is impossible to be completely successful for any long period of time without stability, and it appears that Management's intent is to make success a moving target when often no procedural steps are removed or added, only shuffled around every few months and packaged as an evolved and insightful new procedure. Or someone needs to level up. We acknowledged there are changes, but not remotely close to the scale that we're being told. It appears only attempts are made to make more complex our daily job duties to remain relevant and busy in the eyes of Samsung. It looks like Supervisors and Management are going out of their way to break and keep things broken just so the company will have something to fix.

Safety is not completely held up and maintained, instead a gross form of wordplay is used when it comes to holding employees accountable for not being productive or safe enough. We're accused of not being "Efficient Enough" in an attempt to shut down any opportunities for a thoughtful dialog. Our Perception of Supervisors is they are there to focus on and even manufacture any form of intentional wrongdoing and to stir up contentions among shifts and fellow coworkers as an avenue to move up or get ahead.

Employees cowardice are often picked on and exploited and so often employees are openly ridiculed and put on display for alleged bad behavior in attempts to make regular examples of and meet managerial quotas. All employees are perceived as guilty of wrongful intent and treated with a prejudice first. It is more evident that history is planning on being repeated instead of learned from as these practices are appearing to be doubled down on with the recent reinstatement of Old Management. The Perception is Tyrannical Control! And a record of misconduct is Highly sought after by Supervisors and Management and held over the employees in an attempt to break down and discourage all who would try to start a discussion.

It appears you're ignoring the growing concerns the employees have of recent and future loss of the departments in which we all work. At this rate it looks as though the fix is already in and Management is only focused on and posturing to blame the employee for these losses. The vast majority of seasoned and even new employees are actively looking for new jobs while you continue to ignore the above mentioned and ask "Why is this Happening". It has been and is becoming an even more abusive environment as departments are lost and it only appears to everyone that management couldn't care less as long as their checks come in. Which concerns many.

All claims and statements made here are the exact pulse of the workforce in which you oversee and can be backed up with dates, names, details and witnesses. We are told it's all about Perception, Perception, Perception!!! That Perception is reality! And I Agree.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the procedures every couple months just to try and justify your existence...

Jan 8, 2019 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for reiterating your concerns on Glassdoor.

Safety is serious business at Versum. All employees and contractors are responsible for reporting incidents to their supervisor. Our company... More

"Demanding, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Engineer in Breinigsville, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Breinigsville, PA

I have been working at Versum Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at Versum, formerly Air Products, for many years. Versum is a great place to work. The pay is good, and bonuses have been great. Work culture and management are better than ever before. We have a clear line of site from our daily work to manufacturing to the end customer.

Cons

IT is terrible. I don't have the best tools to do my job. We are just getting by.

Advice to Management

We need faster, more reliable computing environment. We are working too hard to fight slow networks, and slow, non-value added people in IT.