Vertafore Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vertafore Chief Executive Officer Amy Zupon
Amy Zupon

Pros
  • They care about the happiness of the employees, great work-life balance and an amazing company culture (in 37 reviews)

• Great People and great location of the Bothell office (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The company seems to always be going through changes, and it seems that the upper management really doesn't know what they are doing (in 21 reviews)

• Not enough transparency, senior management turnover (in 10 reviews)

1. "Positive experiecne"

Current Intern - Account Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Intern - Account Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working Vertafore is the people. Each account manager acted as a mentor for me .I would recommend.

Cons

Things do not change in the office often and people get set in their ways. A big separation between different branches of the businesses.

Advice to Management

Keep interacting on all levels of the business. Be a bit more transparent across different business levels. Take a bigger role in meetings.

Apr 20, 2016 – SVP, Chief People Officer

Thank you for being part of our internship program! We’re very happy you’re taking advantage of your experience and learning from your colleagues about our products and portfolio. I also appreciate ... More

"Fantastic place and It's what you make of it"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vertafore is a fantastic company! I have personally enjoyed my time there and I would definitely work there again. If you are entrepreneurial, can deal with ambiguity, are a go-getter and work hard you can really elevate your career. Most of the people that don't last in my opinion do not like these things or capitalized on the opportunities that are right in front of them. Insurance technology is evolving and when I look at the shift in Vertafore's technology vision and roadmap over the last three years it’s been tremendous. People are great and the passion is there. I think Vertafore is primed to do great things.

Cons

Work can sometimes be like trying to steer an oil tanker with a electric motor. With persistence it will happen it just takes patience.

Advice to Management

There is a level of frustration among the high performers who carry the burden of delivery. At times it can sometimes appear that 20% give 100% while the other 80% look at it more like a paycheck. Bad attrition has been higher than anyone would like. Develop a forum for mid and senior tier leaders to connect with one another and build relationships. Product Management has been making poor decisions as of late around things such as mobile and seems disconnected. Look at leadership here, its my opinion that it lacks direction and the close customer connection that our customers deserve.

Feb 2, 2016 – SVP, Chief People Officer

I’m very happy you enjoyed your time here at Vertafore and thank you for sharing your personal experience. I also appreciated that you left a specific development idea on how we can make our people ... More

"Great Co Workers"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday parties, free lunches, free pop and snacks, great co workers

Cons

Senior Management, lack of value in employees

Jan 12, 2016 – SVP, Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your review and I'm glad you are enjoying our culture and benefits in East Lansing. It is a fantastic office and group of people! I'd like to hear more about where we can improve ... More

"People 5 star; HR 0 stars; Technology 2 stars; Growth 0 stars"

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Extreme work/life balance
    -Tenured/longevity in current employees
    -Management allows you to "own" your work/team and make decisions fairly autonomously
    -Many talented people who want to see you succeed and will partner with you to do your tasks. It does not feel like a "political environment"

Cons

-Believes outages are "better than last year" but will not take action. They are on track for more outages than last year but do not see it. If it does not effect the customer, they wont fix it...but that means 27% of all outages effect the team's productivity with in the long run, effects the customer.
    -Extremely outdated hardware/test environment for support team. Customers in a slow moving industry have far more advanced equipment/OS than the support team
    -Support reps are not allowed a laptop. If they work from home, it must be on their own equipment
    -Tenured, sharp reps with 10-20-30+yrs experience are not promoted or shown a path for how to be promoted or told why they were not promoted
    -Very low pay compared to software industry
    -Little accountability. If "needs improvement" on review, it can ride for 2 years and upper management will not help the team figure out why they are in that position. All the team needed was clear guidelines for them to make the change; the actual working support team is amazing!
    -The 4 offices work very much in silos and most do not know what the other is doing. You will need to work on communication to ensure you know what is going on or know what is coming your way as DIRs or Upper management will not cross communicate.
    -If laid off (l was after a re-org) expect for HR to set a mtg and not show up making you wait in her office for 25 minutes...and ever show up...causing a 2nd meeting and for it to drag out)
    -Also expect to be escorted out of the building and not be allowed to say anything to anyone. If you turn around to shake HR's hand once at the door after being marched out as I did, expect her to not even be there. If you want to shake her hand you will have to go back into the building to be met with "can I help you?" Extremely rude and devaluing to people.

I have never written a bad review on a company before and they will figure out who this is, but I've gone thru several lay offs and I have always worked thru the day to ensure a proper transition occurred so my teams were protected and a proper transfer of knowledge occurred. This was not even offered to me even though I offered to do it. I understand business decisions, but treating people with respect goes a long way. Don't expect that to occur too often at Vertafore.

Advice to Management

Fix your HR issues. Since HR will read this I am guessing this review will somehow be pulled.

Oct 21, 2015 – SVP, Chief People Officer

I’ve read your review many times since you posted it to not only gather my thoughts about your feedback but also to speak directly with everyone involved. First and foremost, please know Glassdoor ... More

"Lame software in lame industry"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Decent benefits, team co-workers were nice and helpful.

Cons

Poor management, no leadership, constant management by fear mentality, no loyalty to employees, multiple layoffs per year. Directionless.

Advice to Management

Listen to your client-facing employees, they know what customers are asking for in the industry. Just because there aren't better options in the industry, doesn't mean the status quo is acceptable.

"Global Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and very smart folks

Cons

Owned by a VC, no long term thinking. Constant lay offs

Advice to Management

Value your people

8. "good people, good benefits but bad leadership"

Former Employee - Account Manager in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great people, good benefits- they take care of their employees, wellness program, competitive pay, clean and bright office environment, flexible hours when needed, and the ability to get experience in a company that looks good on a resume that can help you land a job in a better company in the future. The company is the best in the business and the potential is certainly exciting.

Cons

Negative and stressful leadership -very top-down. High level executives are not safe as there is constant turn-over so when one executive feels negative pressure they will pass it down to their subordinates to make sure that their job is secure instead of actually working together to make things better. There are constant meetings about collaboration but with very little follow through. The words used are very positive but the environment is overall insecure and negative. Many employees talk in the hallways and break rooms about looking for another job in a more positive environment. Customer satisfaction or non-revenue generating departments do not get the budgets they need to function adequately. It seems like all the money is spent in development so new updates and products are constantly being deployed without properly supporting or fixing the problems with the existing functionality. The company often makes promises about product enhancements but then is unable or unwilling to follow through.

Advice to Management

invest in improving the current products and services. Take the time to actually listen to your clients.

"Technology and innovation"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Major emphasis on new technology and innovation
    Exciting technical challenges
    Great culture and work/life balance
    Smart people
    Company invest in training (Skillup weeks, hackathon, etc.)
    Free freshly brewed coffee (barista) and snacks
    No micros management

Cons

Benefits can be better
    Office space can use a facelift and re-arrangement

Advice to Management

Stay focused and keep the positive changes coming
    Provide stock/share options to employees to compete better with large companies in the same region

"Small Company Feel in Corporate Growth - Love the people"

Current Employee - Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Visionary leaders
    CEO drawn to company because of personal connection to the business
    Growth towards being a tech company
    Learning about visibility and true collaboration
    Privately held - unique benefits, plenty of work, great fun activities (coffee bar in lobby is great!)

Cons

Still learning lessons on working across products and departments
    Privately held - resources are limited where the needs are greatest
    Some pockets of leadership still learning to understand the customers and employees

Advice to Management

Involve the front line service staff in building strategy and decisions well ahead of delivery (Sales, CS, PS)
    Keep an eye on the surveys and attrition that point to vulnerable company points
    Celebrate and support failures that lead to individual growth
    Get ahead of the curve with Microsoft and cadence the readiness of products at the same rate if you want to be a tech company

"An experience in personal and professional growth with great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities to solve some very complex business problems. This eliminates the boredom that comes with many careers

- Significant ability to be a key contributor within the organization and further develop/improve your leadership skills

- Very loyal and appreciative customer base, which makes you want to provide a better product to improve their business.

- Improved leadership team is making the right decisions to propel the business forward.

- Great people and an improving corporate culture, make it easy to come into the office.

Cons

Up to this point, Vertafore has grown via acquisition and thus has had an identity crisis for several years. It takes time for this identity to eventually resonate across multiple locations in different states and therefore this process has frustrated many people.

Advice to Management

Communicate early and often. Communication that is clear and concise is necessary to help set the course the company is going down and to gain buy in from each branch of the organization.