Vertafore Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Manager

Vertafore Chief Executive Officer Amy Zupon
Amy Zupon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great teams and an awesome work-life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Great People and great location of the Bothell office (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management does not know what they are doing (in 25 reviews)

• Not enough transparency, senior management turnover (in 11 reviews)

"Sr. Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Vertafore (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Frequent change of strategic direction.

Advice to Management

Stick to a path and let it play out.

"More leaving than staying. Low salaries and pay cuts"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You got to look long and hard to find some pros but if you find a good pot of coffee, you found one of the only things.

Cons

Employees don’t like their job. There have been pay cuts in every dept. They laid off multiple offices to reduce costs and hire entry level young employees. No opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Vertafore is very disorganized. The center of excellence is pretty awful. Might want to change the name to customer disappointment center

"It is time to move on"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good people. Decent pay.

Cons

Vertafore is in the process of shutting down offices in Woodland Hills CA, Deerfield Beach FL and Indianapolis IN. Hundreds of experienced employees in the affected and other offices are being laid-off and their positions are moved to Denver.

Vertafore does not have an innovative culture. It's not able to develop new products because its employees do not have necessary skills and experience, executives prone to set unrealistic expectations and the company lacks necessary processes.

"Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, telecommuting options.

Cons

Communication lacking, decisions made without due diligence.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Empower your middle management. Communicate at all levels. Get buyin from employees. Practice due diligence.

Jun 30, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for leaving a review regarding your experience as a People Manager. We will pass along your advice to our Executive Team as one of our top priorities is to continually show we value our... More

5. "Positive experiecne"

Current Intern - Account Manager in Bothell, WA
    Current Intern - Account Manager in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Vertafore as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working Vertafore is the people. Each account manager acted as a mentor for me .I would recommend.

Cons

Things do not change in the office often and people get set in their ways. A big separation between different branches of the businesses.

Advice to Management

Keep interacting on all levels of the business. Be a bit more transparent across different business levels. Take a bigger role in meetings.

Apr 20, 2016 – SVP, Chief People Officer

Thank you for being part of our internship program! We’re very happy you’re taking advantage of your experience and learning from your colleagues about our products and portfolio. I also appreciate... More

"Fantastic place and It's what you make of it"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vertafore is a fantastic company! I have personally enjoyed my time there and I would definitely work there again. If you are entrepreneurial, can deal with ambiguity, are a go-getter and work hard you can really elevate your career. Most of the people that don't last in my opinion do not like these things or capitalized on the opportunities that are right in front of them. Insurance technology is evolving and when I look at the shift in Vertafore's technology vision and roadmap over the last three years it’s been tremendous. People are great and the passion is there. I think Vertafore is primed to do great things.

Cons

Work can sometimes be like trying to steer an oil tanker with a electric motor. With persistence it will happen it just takes patience.

Advice to Management

There is a level of frustration among the high performers who carry the burden of delivery. At times it can sometimes appear that 20% give 100% while the other 80% look at it more like a paycheck. Bad attrition has been higher than anyone would like. Develop a forum for mid and senior tier leaders to connect with one another and build relationships. Product Management has been making poor decisions as of late around things such as mobile and seems disconnected. Look at leadership here, its my opinion that it lacks direction and the close customer connection that our customers deserve.

Feb 2, 2016 – SVP, Chief People Officer

I’m very happy you enjoyed your time here at Vertafore and thank you for sharing your personal experience. I also appreciated that you left a specific development idea on how we can make our people... More

"Great Co Workers"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Vertafore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday parties, free lunches, free pop and snacks, great co workers

Cons

Senior Management, lack of value in employees

Jan 12, 2016 – SVP, Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your review and I'm glad you are enjoying our culture and benefits in East Lansing. It is a fantastic office and group of people! I'd like to hear more about where we can improve... More

"People 5 star; HR 0 stars; Technology 2 stars; Growth 0 stars"

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Bothell, WA

I worked at Vertafore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Extreme work/life balance
    -Tenured/longevity in current employees
    -Management allows you to "own" your work/team and make decisions fairly autonomously
    -Many talented people who want to see you succeed and will partner with you to do your tasks. It does not feel like a "political environment"

Cons

-Believes outages are "better than last year" but will not take action. They are on track for more outages than last year but do not see it. If it does not effect the customer, they wont fix it...but that means 27% of all outages effect the team's productivity with in the long run, effects the customer.
    -Extremely outdated hardware/test environment for support team. Customers in a slow moving industry have far more advanced equipment/OS than the support team
    -Support reps are not allowed a laptop. If they work from home, it must be on their own equipment
    -Tenured, sharp reps with 10-20-30+yrs experience are not promoted or shown a path for how to be promoted or told why they were not promoted
    -Very low pay compared to software industry
    -Little accountability. If "needs improvement" on review, it can ride for 2 years and upper management will not help the team figure out why they are in that position. All the team needed was clear guidelines for them to make the change; the actual working support team is amazing!
    -The 4 offices work very much in silos and most do not know what the other is doing. You will need to work on communication to ensure you know what is going on or know what is coming your way as DIRs or Upper management will not cross communicate.
    -If laid off (l was after a re-org) expect for HR to set a mtg and not show up making you wait in her office for 25 minutes...and ever show up...causing a 2nd meeting and for it to drag out)
    -Also expect to be escorted out of the building and not be allowed to say anything to anyone. If you turn around to shake HR's hand once at the door after being marched out as I did, expect her to not even be there. If you want to shake her hand you will have to go back into the building to be met with "can I help you?" Extremely rude and devaluing to people.

I have never written a bad review on a company before and they will figure out who this is, but I've gone thru several lay offs and I have always worked thru the day to ensure a proper transition occurred so my teams were protected and a proper transfer of knowledge occurred. This was not even offered to me even though I offered to do it. I understand business decisions, but treating people with respect goes a long way. Don't expect that to occur too often at Vertafore.

Advice to Management

Fix your HR issues. Since HR will read this I am guessing this review will somehow be pulled.

Oct 21, 2015 – SVP, Chief People Officer

I’ve read your review many times since you posted it to not only gather my thoughts about your feedback but also to speak directly with everyone involved.

First and foremost, please know Glassdoor... More

"Lame software in lame industry"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Decent benefits, team co-workers were nice and helpful.

Cons

Poor management, no leadership, constant management by fear mentality, no loyalty to employees, multiple layoffs per year. Directionless.

Advice to Management

Listen to your client-facing employees, they know what customers are asking for in the industry. Just because there aren't better options in the industry, doesn't mean the status quo is acceptable.

"Global Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Vertafore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and very smart folks

Cons

Owned by a VC, no long term thinking. Constant lay offs

Advice to Management

Value your people