Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Stressful work environment, poor work life balance, management out of touch with general employees (in 14 reviews)

• Middle/upper management makes decisions rooted in favoritism (in 11 reviews)

1. "Love this company!"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

I love my job, I love my managers, and I love the people I work with. The benefits are outstanding, the office is easy to get to, and they really care about their employees. Everyone writes a development plan for themselves each year and then discusses how to reach their goals with their manager. The company is driven to cure CF and most employees are passionate about it. Individuals and groups are rewarded for a job well done with bonuses, other monetary awards (VOCAPS) and sometimes stock. I've never been so happy at any other place I've worked (and I've worked at many places in the last 35+ years).

Cons

There are a few "bad apples" but I think there are a few at every company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"This place makes me cry and drink heavily"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great, and we get a 401k match and annual stock grants. Nice parking and commuter benefits. 4 weeks of vacation, if you can take it. Nice cafeteria. Friday beer hour. On site gym for employees.

Cons

Stressful environment. There are people working 12 hour days and still can't get their work done. People generally don't even make it a year before they burn out. You have vacation time, but people will work through their vacation and weekends.

You can't trust anyone - I have had people talk about me but I don't know who it was. There is a consistent high school mentality that permeates everything you do. You don't know who is friends with whom, so you can't speak freely. Ever. You are not allowed to have an opinion.

There are no team building or social activities. There really is no "team" at all because you have to watch your back. They do have beer hour on Fridays but most people are still working at 4pm when the beer hour starts.

Rampant favoritism of the "veterans" (i.e. everyone who was here for the Hep C days). The veterans are always right. You are always wrong. This goes back to number 2 - don't offer opinions. Don't point out serious problems. Don't make jokes. Don't even say good morning. At best, you will be ignored. At worst, what you say can and will be held against you. It's extra fun when you watch the "veterans" get the praise, awards and raises while you sit silently being happy that you got free coffee today.

No respect. My manager didn't care that my grandmother died, as long as I made it to work. Even though I'm highly educated, people talk over me at meetings and interrupt me when I speak. I was even told that I should be a "silent observer" so now I don't talk at all.

No diversity. I was shocked at how there were no people of color or women in the C suite. They will tell you it's one of the values, but it isn't true.

Every mistake you have ever made will be held against you. Did you make a typo on that document 6 months ago? You will see it again in your performance review. All those 9,352 things you did right? Too bad. That was your job and you should have done those things right.

Advice to Management

You need double the staff that you have. Make sure people have fun at work. Check to see if people are smiling (they aren't!).

Offer leadership training and mental health resources. There are many people here who regularly see psychiatrists and counselors because of the stress.

Fix the VOCAP system so they don't continually go to the same people. It's not motivating to watch the same guy get awards every month.

3. "It's a great place to work"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Innovative company. Supportive management. Great colleagues. Great location.

Cons

'Blockbuster' drug research would be more financially predictable, though not as exciting or rewarding.

4. "Good place to work.....for a few years"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Great benefits and great people to work with

Cons

lack of opportunity for growth. Promotions are unfair. Certain Sr. Managers say you need to be in your position for 2 years before being eligible for promotion but will then promote someone who hasn't been in their position for a year as long as they're 'in' with the Sr. Manager.

Advice to Management

Stop holding people who deserve a promotion back.

"Exciting Science, Image, but Lacking in Authenticity/Accountability"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The Seaport location is ideal, all of the facilities are polished, brand new. The company prides itself on its volunteer outreach in the Boston area, including its high school internship program. Impact of medicines to CF community well noted. Opportunities to participate in employee programs.

Cons

Extremely political environment, and hard work often goes unrecognized. Middle/upper management makes decisions rooted in favoritism. Be aware that this environment is not one that is that inspiring, despite its corporate messaging. Most people who work here seem more interested in collecting their paychecks and taking vacation time than on meaningful impact within their roles.

"Political battlefield"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New buildings, benefits package, vacation, employee stock, and very, very few knowledgeable and dedicated employees

Cons

Leadership is exceptionally weak and inexperienced. Many are new to management with no development encouraged or offered, others have never worked elsewhere and lack perspective gained through experience.

There are multiple levels of management and bureaucracy for a company this size with micromanaging and bullying styles both encouraged and rewarded.

Employees are seen as objects and expenses, not assets with little concern for overall well-being. Management has virtually no compassion or empathy for employees. Those performing essential functions are drastically undervalued and teams are stretched exceptionally thin, with a push to outsource core functions.

Teams and individuals are informally encouraged to work in silos, deflecting work onto other groups whenever possible. Focus is placed on individual over team performance, even when projects are group efforts. Rewards are reserved for only those perceived as the “best performers” by virtue of their being most popular.

Emphasis on “correcting problems” with employees rather than providing positive feedback.

Stressful work environment, poor work life balance, management out of touch with general employees.

Projects are approved and executed against at the whims of the executives desires vs. driving the research or furthering the business.

Internal Communications often touts the retention of a small company feel but fails to realize this was lost years ago with both the departure from Cambridge and the hiring of self-absorbed executive management.

New leadership is only concerned with status, wealth generation, and perks of the Seaport location.

7. "Great working place"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Its location is very easy to get to via public transportation. It has a bridge connecting the two buildings, which very beneficial when getting cold.

Cons

Can't think of any for now. A great place and people are nice.

"great benefits, little chance for growth"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

interesting science, dynamic workplace, fast paced

Cons

management rarely promotes from within, worklife balance can be difficult

Advice to Management

if you want to retain good employees, you need to give them a reason to stay

9. "I Love My Job"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the greatest company I’ve ever worked for! The people are great, the salary is great, and the benefits are unbelievable. They really care about their employees. I love going to work. The CEO is a great guy. It’s just an all-around fabulous place to work.

Cons

I cannot think of a single con, it’s actually that great. The worst thing I can think of is that they don’t have hazelnut coffee!

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you are doing!

10. "Awesome Company"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Great Company. Great science and great people.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. I had the best time working for this company.