Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2020

3.3
Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Reshma Kewalramani
Reshma Kewalramani
Pros
  • "Great benefits and overall perks(in 34 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, very open to fresh ideas no matter how new you are(in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Run, don't walk to Vertex!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, focused on both the patients and the employees. Senior leadership understands how critical it is that their employees are not only happy and engaged, but also have the time and tools to create the best work/life balance for themselves. I joined virtually at the start of the pandemic and was amazed at how seamless the onboarding was. They had seemingly thought of everything that could go wrong and already had a plan in place. I have never been in an organization where I felt so at home so quickly. Every employee has been warm, helpful and really embraces the Vertex phenotype of leading by example, learning, teaching and developing, fostering exceptional collaboration, driving breakthrough results and promoting enterprise thinking. These are all values which are a large part of what makes Vertex such a special place to work. Of course their benefits are incredible, and with the success they've experienced, there are lots of opportunities for future growth. What stood out to me immediately is how frequently they promote from within, along with a strong commitment to D&I. When I interviewed at their beautiful Seaport headquarters, I swear i could feel the positive energy the minute I stepped off the elevator. The funny thing is, I also feel that energy whenever we have a zoom meeting. It's the PEOPLE, and I am so excited to get back to the office when it is deemed safe to do so, and meet everyone in person!

Cons

Every company has pros and cons, but I personally have not yet found anything that I would consider a con.

May 11, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you so much for the nice review and welcome to Vertex! It is really great to hear you are off to a great start and you are enjoying the culture.

"Great company & culture"

Current Employee - Senior Scientific Associate

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good Benefits Sense of purpose at work Innovative research technology

Cons

Fast pace of projects and timelines

June 22, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. We appreciate the five star rating.

3. "Great Place to Work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

The projects were challenging and the management was great....

Cons

There was not a clear growth path

"great time off"

Current Employee - CTM

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

they encourage you to use your time off

Cons

fast paced work environment makes taking time off hard

June 15, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Vertex does encourage employees to use their vacation time.

"Strong science but demoralizing culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vertex is driven by robust science. The commitment to treating rare diseases and improving the lives of patients is admirable.

Cons

I wish I could say that the focus on scientific integrity outweighed the disrespect and demoralizing culture. Favoritism is prevalent, and not confronted - which just enables the poor behavior. I took pride in working collaboratively and sharing my knowledge, and most especially leading rather than managing. These values and behaviors were not encouraged. The relentless narrow timelines and constant reactive mode of working were/are unsustainable. Similarly, on many occasions cross functional teams possessing a breadth of knowledge would make a well informed decision, only to be over ruled by an executive with little involvement with the project or Team. Consensus driven decisions aren’t realistic most of the time, but decisions based on input from subject matter experts are integral to successful outcomes.

May 19, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Vertex. We will make sure to provide your feedback to the proper departments.

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Happy hours, free breakfast, good location

Cons

Worst managers, no team work

June 15, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We are sorry to hear that your experience at Vertex was not to your satisfaction. We will make sure to provide your feedback to the proper departments.

"My work experience at Vertex was filled with microaggressions and oblivious leadership"

Former Employee - Co-Op in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The facility is nice, but don’t let that fool you into thinking this is a top place to work

Cons

Microaggressions are prominent because many folks here don’t realize gaps in their treatment of others They pride themselves on having model minorities They believe in meritocracy and believe that grades and high merit deems success Everything Vertex does is with the aim of getting accolades and attention although they don’t deserve it. It’s just for show, they couldn’t care less about many of the “core values” that they pride themselves on. Upper management sits in their lofty top floor offices and pretend like everything is perfect and they refuse to encourage open feedback/transparency Many people fear retaliation because senior leadership is very conniving in that regard; if you cross them, you get blacklisted from the industry (or so they try to threaten you with)

June 16, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We are sorry to hear you had this experience as a Co-op at Vertex. We wish that you would have talked with your manager or with HR about your time at Vertex. We will provide your feedback to the proper departments.

"Reshma Kewalramani is useless"

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work was something I became good at

Cons

The CEO of the company Reshma Kewalramani is useless. She is just a figurehead who don't even know the names of half her staff members. I wish the company had a real CEO who could improve it and make people feel at home.

June 15, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Reshma did not meet your satisfaction. Vertex employs over 4,000 employees and Reshma has only been CEO for 60 days and is still getting to know employees. We wish you luck in your future roles.

"Limited growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Challenging work in a fast-paced environment.

Cons

There's a very little to zero opportunities for career growth and advancement. You might think that there's a lot of potential for your career here but it's the other way around. The work might be challenging but that all there is to it. You can't achieve any career goals you might have for yourself when you're working here.

June 2, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We will forward your comments to the proper departments.

10. "Awesome company, focused on great science and changing lives"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission-driven, dedicated employees and leaders, inclusive environment, great benefits, passionate and ambitious about what they're trying to accomplish, focus on continuous improvement.

Cons

I can't think of specific cons, but appreciate they are always working to improve processes and reduce complexity.

April 29, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. It is always great to hear when an employee is happy at their job.

Found 355 reviews