Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Hard to maintain work/life balance at time" (in 16 reviews)

• "very toxic work environment, poor mid-level and senior management" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An incredible company with an inspiring culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can honestly say this is one of the most incredible companies to work for. The energy is palpable. The people are collaborative and motivated to bring medicines and hope to patients. The culture is heavily science-oriented, but everyone feels like part of the mission, even those who are not necessarily scientists or physicians. Very strong leadership team. Amazing performance as a company. Opportunities abound to make an impact, and grow.

Cons

Still maturing as a company from a small biotech to the global biopharma leader we are today....some processes need to be optimized. This requires everyone, at every level, to be "in the weeds" from time to time, but not overly burdensome.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing; keep offering people the opportunity to contribute their expertise to the strategic goals; keep up the open dialogue with employees; keep recognizing employees for their accomplishments.

2. "Doing things right"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and nice co-workers. Company seems to have a bright future.

Cons

Better than being in Cambridge, but the Seaport area is hard to drive and park.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking of new benefits. There are a ton of choices out there and most companies are hiring.

Oct 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We will pass along your comments to the appropriate teams.

3. "Vertex Pharmaceuticals - Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

- Collaborative and compassionate environment
    - Rigorous work but with many opportunities for growth
    - Patient-centric focus and mission
    - Excellent benefits

Cons

- Not enough hours in the day (but colleagues and the culture is resilient!)

Oct 12, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

4. "Culture and Benefits are AMAZING"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked in the Pharma industry for nearly 15 years and Vertex has blown away other companies with their benefits. The vacation time is very generous, especially for a U.S. company, plus the shut down at the end of the year. The people that work here actually care about patients and care about each other.

Cons

Nothing to really say for cons. Only suggestion is to maybe consider Summer Fridays or an official one day a week work from home option.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Communication is outstanding.

Oct 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you very much for providing your positive feedback.

5. "Intern"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Great coworkers as well as working environment

Cons

median size company, not much reimbursement

Oct 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoy working at Vertex.

6. "Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Would be difficult to find a company with better benefits.

Cons

There are no obvious cons to Vertex benefits.

Oct 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review.

"When there's smoke..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Vertex means being part of a transformation in medical care for patients with CF, which is something most people spend a career in biotech/pharma without experiencing. There are some really special and talented people at Vertex as well, who got in early and were part of that story.

Cons

No checks and balances for incompetence; as long as you have an MD, you are allowed to do anything, even if you do it badly. Other "D" degrees can take a seat, or be support staff.

Advice to Management

Hey, you know the hemorrhage of employees out of GMDA? Pay attention. It's real, it's serious, and it's a warning. There is a reason talented people who were at the company for MANY years are leaving; look at your functional management. If you keep chasing degrees, process, and structure while ignoring your people and foregoing the deep historical knowledge they have of the company and the therapeutic area, you're going to make Vertex like every other pharma company out there (maybe that's the goal, but it's terribly sad). You're moving towards being out of touch with the CF community, and that's not how a patient-focused company should be. Consider that what new management from big pharma views as amateur is actually what's made Vertex successful to this point. You're not adding value, you're adding barriers.

Oct 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your review and we agree, there are some extremely talented employees at Vertex. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the proper departments.

"Good place to work...too much upper level, expensive fluff positions added in recent years."

Current Employee - Research Fellow I in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Fellow I in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Treat employees pretty well. Connection to patients is rewarding.

Cons

Tons of money spent on unnecessary director/VP and up “talent” as company has become successful. This leaves far less for those who really helped build it.

Advice to Management

Don’t forget who got you there.

Oct 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are happy to hear you feel the connections to patients is rewarding.

9. "Very Good Pharma company"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people at the SD are good coworkers. There are some bad apples but thats how it is everywhere. Benefits are really good. Breakfast every day, cookies on Wednesday, and happy hour on Friday.

Cons

Getting promoted can be difficult at times, managers can have favorites, and not all groups treated evenly. People can be overworked here

Advice to Management

Listen to middle management more. If someone says they're direct report should get promoted, then they should.

Oct 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are thrilled to hear you are happy with the benefits package. We will make sure that the management team is made aware of your concerns.

10. "Too many Cons"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The Benefits are really good

Cons

Where to start....
    way too many VP’s, Senior Directors, Associate Directors and upper management.
    Those who work hard are not rewarded.
    When complaints are made to direct managers regarding issues, there are policies in place yet they get ignored and when complaints are made to HR, they are down played.
    The culture went down hill after the move to Fan Pier. Not a “fun” place to work.
    Too many people that feel they are entitled and feel they don’t need to work as hard as some of their peers.
    Career development is just for the special few.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your titles and the deadwood associated with it. Look beyond to see who is actually performing the work. Get rid of the “entitlement”.

Oct 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your candid feedback and will pass your comments along to the proper departments.