Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Stressful work environment, poor work life balance, management out of touch with general employees (in 13 reviews)

• I do have one recommendation to upper management, which I will enter in the next section (in 10 reviews)

1. "BAD"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good Pay, Benefits and vacation days

Cons

No room for promotion or rasies

"Females beware."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salary higher than most Boston companies. Nice location. Excluding upper management really talented people to work beside.

Cons

Upper management uses bully tactics and if your female do not expect to advance into a leadership position. HR continues to support the employee at will approach and terminates employees with no justification but because they can. Upper management is all about brown nosing and managing up. They never value their staff that does the majority of the work. It is a high school mentality and toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Everything starts at the top. Leadership needs a complete overhaul.

"Used to be OK"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of too many

Cons

Too much politics. Senior management completely out of touch with whatever is going on in the trenches.

Advice to Management

stop paying yourselves so much

"Poor career growth"

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and good work life balance

Cons

Some managers make every effort to prevent to the growth and development of employees, especially managers who use their authority or their VP title to put fear in people and to disrespect employees publicly

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from people who work on the ground

"life at VERTEX"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

great benefits, excellent company mission and vision

Cons

Incredibly negative work environment. Work hard at protecting poor supervisors.

"Lost in Big Pharma"

Pros

Salary, benefits, etc are similar to positions at other companies in the industry.

Cons

* Limited vertical and lateral opportunities
    * Out of touch, myopic executive team
    * Shrinking internal scientific diversity
    * Inconsistent career ladders across organization; e.g. scope, compensation
    * Lack of leadership at VP and above
    * Poor managers at Sr Director and below.
    * Very little work life balance

Advice to Management

Consider management changes to improve culture, retain employees

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay , weekly beer hour , new building . Some good people if you have good intuition on who you can trust.

Cons

working at Vertex was THE biggest mistake . The only pro I can think of is that it led me to a much better job . HR is a complete and utter joke . Management entertains and promotes the lazy brown nosers and the actual hard workers are reprimanded for not being like them . This causes the trouble makers to be in charge making incredible salaries and that what makes up 80% of Vertex. Literally it's a bunch of wanna be cool , ignorant , very unintelligent and insecure people running the departments .

Advice to Management

Learn how to speak English first of all. Many cannot which is why the disconnect . Learn how to compose emails ( it's amazing the senior level managers who cannot even tell you the difference between your and you're ) and learn how to be a manager and understand the basic principles of your own job . Realize that there are most likely 2 or 3 people on your team who will outstandingly do a much better job at managing your own team than you ever will in 10 lifetimes; but because you promote drama and BS Vertex will continue to promote you ... so good job Vertex for allowing yourself to let go of very talented people .

"disfunctional and inconsistant management"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

not many- I do not recommend this organization. great office location.

Cons

poor management, very poor communications, never know when they will have another reduction in staff. One product company- very risky

"The Funkiest Place I've Ever Worked..."

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people who are dedicated and driven to perform well under terribly increased workloads, ever-changing directives, and useless management decisions.

Cons

When you treat people like they make a difference, they will. (J.Goodnight). Unless you have a competent manager, you won't be treated right. Many good people are overlooked. Too many bad people are promoted or not moved along. The Peter Principal wholly applies here.

Advice to Management

Find management who understands the relationship between good people, good work and good quality results. Management is a revolving door of quasi-nepotism.

"Vertex - Great pay/benefits, decent science, awful management."

Former Employee - Senior Scientist II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist II in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is good. My benefits/ salary/ retirement were good as a junior scientist (<5 years experience) with a PhD. The work spaces were very nice in downtown Boston. The science was in general good (orkambi, kalydeco) to not-so-good (incivek).

Cons

Many decisions were based on non-scientific considerations; I once presented data to a VP in my area and he effectively ignored the science and told my boss and I that's not how he was going to present it to the (then) CSO, which I believe was due to impending bonuses based off of internal metrics. The integrity of management was suspect to say the least, as I witnessed scary inquiries by the US SEC (google "Vertex COO and SEC" if you don't believe it) and massive issues in the DMPK group regarding data integrity which resulted in effectively dissolving the internal group in favor of outsourcing all the work. Middle-management was constantly competing with other groups in the company for clout/ political turf, which made working at the team level very difficult as folks were often getting thrown under the bus. Vertex was/ is in the habit of making announcements through the press, which is certainly a double-edged sword and in my mind bad practice. Additionally, HR is nothing more than a hire/ fire department; many times I brought up inconsistencies with management and in one instance how an internal survey conducted indicated there needed more management engagement with "lower" employees, but in discussion with HR there wasn't going to be any transparency regarding the metrics of the survey because ultimately management didn't want to accept long-term culpability. Lastly employee turnover is incredibly high, read between the lines.

Advice to Management

Get in the trenches, understand what is in front of you, engage your employees, and do what needs to be done for the benefit of employees and patients and not stock value. If you cannot do this, leave.