Found 904 of over 1K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "And we’ll great benefits" (in 174 reviews)
- "Great people; everyone is very open and willing to help." (in 92 reviews)
- "Great culture and place to work Flex working environment Growing organization" (in 65 reviews)
- "Lot to learn within function and great colleagues." (in 36 reviews)
- "Good pay and office location" (in 29 reviews)
- "Sr. Management tends to micro manage and constantly accelerate timelines beyond reason." (in 33 reviews)
- "There is no work life balance" (in 24 reviews)
- "Poor managers at Sr Director and below." (in 24 reviews)
- "Fits in with culture of senior leadership disappearing in the middle of the night without a trace" (in 17 reviews)
- "There is absolutely no career development." (in 14 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Vertex Pharmaceuticals and is not affected by filters.
- 2.0Nov 29, 2023Research ScientistFormer Employee, more than 1 yearBoston, MA
Good benefits. Good work-life balance, as long as you’re not working directly on a high-priority program. Everybody is extremely smart, and some of them are legitimately brilliant. People are mostly very nice and easy to work/get along with; my issues there were mostly structural.
Quite toxic management culture, especially around career development. There is a cohort of golden children being fast-tracked up the org at the expense of everyone else. Admittedly all very bright, but an outstanding IC does not necessarily make a good leader. If you have a PhD from a non-elite university, or outside one of a few narrow fields, you will have a hard time being taken seriously at the start; if you have a lowly MS, people will look at you in astonishment and ask whose badge you stole to get in the building. Lots of empty talk about DEI while only considering candidates from the top R1 programs. Lots of silos. Lots of orgs who absolutely need to be talking to each other, who are instead talking past each other, if they’re even talking. Lots of institutional inertia and resistance to change. Management is very clear that compensation is at or below that of their peers, and use “great benefits” as justification.1Vertex Pharmaceuticals Response6d
Hello, we are dismayed to hear that this was your experience. We take all comments seriously and your concerns have been shared with Human Resources for their awareness. We aim to create a positive culture and we place a high value on inclusion, belonging and respect for every employee companywide.
- 5.0Nov 21, 2023Principal Research AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearBoston, MA
Great science, culture and people
Sometimes it comes with long hours of workVertex Pharmaceuticals Response7d
Thank you for your review.
- 4.0Nov 20, 2023Scientific Communications ManagerFormer EmployeeBoston, MA
excellent investment in research and development
i don't have any consVertex Pharmaceuticals Response7d
Hello, thank you for your review.
- 5.0Nov 14, 2023IT Principal AnalystCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearBoston, MA
Had a great start so far with useful orientation and great responses to my outstanding questions. My team and members of the teams I closely work with are supportive and engaging. There is ample follow-up to check in and see how I'm doing so far. Also, the benefits are excellent from day 1.
It's a big company and still growing - as we figure out how to scale and put processes in place, some seemingly straightforward things (IT support, access) can seem to take a while. You just have to acknowledge that this is the context for the phase of growth the company is in.Vertex Pharmaceuticals Response3w
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.
- 3.0Nov 13, 2023Director Clinical OperationsFormer Employee, more than 1 yearJersey City, NJ
Big company competitive salary and incentives
Company tends to gravitate to the same people the same people get advanced and recognizedVertex Pharmaceuticals Response2w
Hello, we thank you for your feedback and regret that this was your experience. We have shared your feedback with our HR team.
- 5.0Nov 5, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
Vertex is generous of PTO including 22 days regular, summer shutdown of additional 5 days, and winter shutdown
I heard the base salary might not be as high as the other similar sized companies, given Vertex appeared granting more equityVertex Pharmaceuticals Response2w
Thank you for your feedback. We will share your review with HR.
- 4.0Nov 2, 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsSan Diego, CA
Lots of perks Generous PTO Stocks
They value their scientists more than any other employee/position on-site.Vertex Pharmaceuticals Response2w
Hello, we are dismayed to hear that this was your experience. We aim to create a positive culture across all of our sites and we place a high value on inclusion, belonging and respect for every employee companywide.
- 3.0Nov 2, 2023Senior Software EngineerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearBoston, MA
Very progressive company with a strong pipeline.
Very political, progress is based on your manager and their clout.Vertex Pharmaceuticals Response2w
Hello, thank you for your candor. We have shared your experience with HR.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews FAQs
Vertex Pharmaceuticals has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 1,144 reviews left anonymously by employees. 88% of employees would recommend working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals to a friend and 88% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
88% of Vertex Pharmaceuticals employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Vertex Pharmaceuticals 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.