Cover image for Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews about "vertex"

Updated Dec 1, 2021

4.2
Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Reshma Kewalramani
Reshma Kewalramani

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and really want to help patients(in 144 reviews)
  • "Great people; everyone is very open and willing to help.(in 87 reviews)
  • "It used to have a great culture.(in 39 reviews)
  • "Good pay and office location(in 27 reviews)
  • "Great colleagues(in 23 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vertex Pharmaceuticals and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "vertex"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company! Great Mission! Great Culture

Dec 1, 2021 - Associate; Director Information Systems Management in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Innovation, Collaboration, Visibility, Growth, Compensation and Sense of Belonging are few of many reasons why it is great to work at Vertex.

Cons

I have not found any cons in my engagement so far.

Sr. Director

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback.

2. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great Place for Interns/Co-ops with a Great Outlook for Full-Time

Sep 17, 2021 - Co-Op in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vertex is an absolutely great place to work. From the beginning of my co-op, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. There is an immense respect for one another in Vertex and that is something I am very thankful for. I have a great amount of support from coworkers in multiple areas of the company, and people are always glad to hep if you reach out to them out of nowhere. The company is always evolving to become the best form of itself, whether that be in its aim for inclusion, diversity, and equity or within its research and development. Also for interns, there are so many opportunities at Vertex if you wanted to continue working full-time, there is almost always a way to stay involved with Vertex. I have enjoyed my time at Vertex greatly and am looking forward to my future time at Vertex.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say about Vertex! The work environment is very flexible and understanding of work-life balance.

3. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

best workplace culture ever

Nov 16, 2021 - Co-Op in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with incredible people in many different departments. Vertex walks the walk about diversity; all of my supervisors were people of color. Life at Vertex is comfortable too. The cafeteria is delicious and extremely affordable. I ate my breakfast there for about $3 a day. Lunch at the cafeteria was great too, but many of my meetings were catered as well.

Cons

Vertex makes incredible products, but they are some of the most expensive drugs on the market. Felt a little weird knowing that patients were paying ~$300k/year just to breathe. Pharma is pharma.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Heading towards wrong direction

Sep 2, 2021 - Senior Clinical Trial Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

you will learn how to operate in a very fast paced environment. plenty of opportunities to grow if you look for them. great benefits.

Cons

When I first started working at Vertex even though we were always working at a fast paced the environment and the people were much friendlier and happier. With the new senior management things are heading towards the wrong direction. Everyone is stressed out trying to keep up with demands and timelines that are not feasible by any means. Employees are either leaving or burning out completely .

12 people found this review helpful

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. As a current employee, we suggest you speak to your manager about your concerns on timelines and demands. You should also consider reaching out to your HR business partner for guidance.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great benefits; limited growth/change opportunities

Oct 24, 2021 - Scientist II in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

+ Excellent benefits and compensation for FTE's, especially after 4 years when RSU vesting stacks + Highly organized and resource-abundant, even if it gets chaotic in terms of workload; lack of expertise or funds is usually never the issue when problems arise + Really smart people and experienced leadership + Great track record for deploying new drugs; multiple NDA's in a 5-10 year span is stellar in this business + Would recommend Vertex to any Scientist who is ambitious, driven by company success, high compensation, and doesn't mind tedium or long hours.

Cons

- Poor work/life balance on some teams/departments, especially the technical ones (CMC for example) - Focus is on efficiency and productivity at the cost of developing institutional knowledge and addressing problems on a scientific basis; leadership opts for bandaid solutions in order to punch things through instead of giving scientists time to investigate or development improvements. - Many scientists are pushed into heavy specialization on the technical side with limited opportunities to move laterally or explore other options - Promotions and visibility is reserved mostly for managerial tracks, whether it's managing a team or managing a project/program. - Would not recommend Vertex to anyone who has passions outside of work, demanding family responsibilities, or seeks specific fulfillment or growth in their day-to-day work.

18 people found this review helpful

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We appreciate your time providing us feedback. We take feedback very seriously and will provide this to the proper departments.

6. 5.0

Vertex Cyber Security And Resilience

Nov 8, 2021 - Access Management Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vertex is an exciting and dynamic place to work right now. The Cyber Security and Resilience team has new senior leadership and a renewed commitment of investment and growth with lots of interesting challenges. Vertex has a flexible work schedule allowing regular work from home days.

Cons

This position does require being local to Boston area but Boston is a great city and the range of Local stretches to Southern NH, RI and central Mass.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

7. 3.0
    Current Contractor

Lots of Office politics

Jun 14, 2021 - Research Scientist II in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing location to do research, with great equipment and multiple opportunities to learn new cutting edge techniques. Vertex is extremely involved in their community in efforts to give back to the city of Boston, and there are ample opportunities for people of all professions at Vertex to participate in this community work.

Cons

Contractors almost *never* convert to permanent at the Boston location because of a FTE head cap of 160-180. No matter how much you work, how well you do your job, or how much extra you take on as a contractor, it won't do much to earn you a FTE position with Vertex. FTE's are asked to take on extra responsibilities to climb the corporate ladder BEFORE getting a title change and salary increase to deem it a proper "promotion". You work the extra workload first, then if you don't crumble under the pressure "earn" the promotion. And of course, the grind to meet quarterly goals for various projects is met with roadblocks of bureaucracy where the higher ups deem your extremely productive project "less important" and take away people from the project pipeline. Anything can change at anytime with Re-orgs and turnover. Overall, Vertex is a great place to work. They are great at Acquiring talent. But not good at Talent Retention.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

Vertex has changed

Oct 23, 2021 - Associate Director, Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, time off, passionate, innovative

Cons

Very uncertain times at Vertex. Leadership has lost it's way. Under past leadership we worked for patients, now we work to make wall street happy. We work under tremendous micromanagement, to many zoom meetings, and VERY unrealistic timelimes. This is known by leadership, for a very long time, and now we are losing top notch talent due to this. Leadership needs to really realize the impact of your decisions and how it trickles down to the actual workers. Vertex has also become very woke and pushes it down our throats. We get it.

15 people found this review helpful

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The first value at Vertex is uncompromising commitment to patients. We would suggest you speak with your manager or with your HR business partner about your concerns.

9. 5.0

Transparent, Supportive and fast paced

Sep 28, 2021 - Manager in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vertex is consistently living their values when it comes to putting patients first, ID&E, collaboration and innovation. I'm really proud of what we are creating, and how we are investing in our people to change the lives of our patients.

Cons

Very fast paced - may not be a good fit for all - we go all in here!

1 person found this review helpful

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very happy to hear your opinion and feedback on ID&E.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

High Science and extraordinary leadership

Oct 4, 2021 - Senior Director, Medical Affairs
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vertex is committed to transforming patients lives with rare diseases. We achieve the unimaginable and have some of the best scientists in the industry who work for us.

Cons

The pace is fast - sometimes too fast. But there is urgency to get these treatments to patients who have no other options

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 66 Reviews