KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 28, 2021

4.2
Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Reshma Kewalramani
Reshma Kewalramani

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and really want to help patients(in 136 reviews)
  • "Great people; everyone is very open and willing to help.(in 86 reviews)
  • "It used to have a great culture.(in 38 reviews)
  • "Good pay and office location(in 31 reviews)
  • "Great colleagues(in 23 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vertex Pharmaceuticals and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Cutting Edge Science in A Cutting Edge Culture

Nov 8, 2021 - Senior Manager, Operations in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leading science with competetive compensation and world-calss culture

Cons

Work/life balance can be tricky

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great benefits; limited growth/change opportunities

Oct 24, 2021 - Scientist II in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

+ Excellent benefits and compensation for FTE's, especially after 4 years when RSU vesting stacks + Highly organized and resource-abundant, even if it gets chaotic in terms of workload; lack of expertise or funds is usually never the issue when problems arise + Really smart people and experienced leadership + Great track record for deploying new drugs; multiple NDA's in a 5-10 year span is stellar in this business + Would recommend Vertex to any Scientist who is ambitious, driven by company success, high compensation, and doesn't mind tedium or long hours.

Cons

- Poor work/life balance on some teams/departments, especially the technical ones (CMC for example) - Focus is on efficiency and productivity at the cost of developing institutional knowledge and addressing problems on a scientific basis; leadership opts for bandaid solutions in order to punch things through instead of giving scientists time to investigate or development improvements. - Many scientists are pushed into heavy specialization on the technical side with limited opportunities to move laterally or explore other options - Promotions and visibility is reserved mostly for managerial tracks, whether it's managing a team or managing a project/program. - Would not recommend Vertex to anyone who has passions outside of work, demanding family responsibilities, or seeks specific fulfillment or growth in their day-to-day work.

Continue reading
    17 people found this review helpful

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We appreciate your time providing us feedback. We take feedback very seriously and will provide this to the proper departments.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Vertex is Legit!

Oct 18, 2021 - Senior Medical Writing Quality Review Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Produce medicines that save lives, executives are forthright and keep employees 'in the know', top notch employee appreciation, excellent benefits, phenomenal work life balance, great pay, camaraderie, outward appreciation, longevity.

Cons

Many 'woke' issues are pushed onto all employees, even those who are not at all interested nor share those same beliefs. However, sadly, this is the road all big companies seem to be heading down.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

4. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great Place for Interns/Co-ops with a Great Outlook for Full-Time

Sep 17, 2021 - Co-Op in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vertex is an absolutely great place to work. From the beginning of my co-op, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. There is an immense respect for one another in Vertex and that is something I am very thankful for. I have a great amount of support from coworkers in multiple areas of the company, and people are always glad to hep if you reach out to them out of nowhere. The company is always evolving to become the best form of itself, whether that be in its aim for inclusion, diversity, and equity or within its research and development. Also for interns, there are so many opportunities at Vertex if you wanted to continue working full-time, there is almost always a way to stay involved with Vertex. I have enjoyed my time at Vertex greatly and am looking forward to my future time at Vertex.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say about Vertex! The work environment is very flexible and understanding of work-life balance.

5. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great place to start your Internship!

Sep 9, 2021 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and good work environment! The people there are mostly friendly and supportive. They’re open to new ideas and voices. Also, Vertex has a great work life balance.

Cons

The pay is fairly good, but there’s still room for improvement as there’s a need for more Human Resources. Sometime, processes take to long to get approval.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Sep 16, 2021 - Clinical Budget Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, great benefits, great work life balance.

Cons

Work environment can be political.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great benefits, dysfunctional company with growing pains

Aug 27, 2021 - Research Scientist in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

4 weeks of vacation Winter shutdown Yearly stock grant Employee stock purchase plan

Cons

Difficult to be promoted at junior levels Chaotic decision making from management Micro-managing atmosphere Work-life balance can be bad if boundaries are not set and enforced by employee

6 people found this review helpful

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please speak with your manager or HR business partner regarding the "cons" you have posted.

8. 2.0
    Current Employee

stressful

Aug 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

great healthcare benefits package and stock options

Cons

no work life balance and heavy workload

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We will provide your feedback to the proper departments.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

I am happy here

May 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely reliable and reasonable approach to WFH during Covid- kept us fully informed along the way. Feel appreciated as an employee. Plenty of "synchronous" days off for morale. Recent push for D&I has been exceptional and seems long-lasting rather than a band-aid. Vertex has competitive benefits - above and beyond family-wise, if you ask me.

Cons

Every company has cons. There's a hierarchy on paper, but unless you really look for it in day to day life, you'll be fine. Lots of meetings, but that's become the norm. The return to office life will be a test for work/life balance, but I think the management takes it seriously and appropriately.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Vertex does appreciate all of its employees and we are glad you feel that.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Job

May 7, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, even during the pandemic

Cons

Not applicable, I have no cons right now.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Happy to hear that you are happy in your current role!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 61 Reviews

Company Updates

Logo

78 days ago

Culture
For decades, Vertex has worked to create transformative medicines for people with serious diseases. We’ve collaborated around whiteboards, in labs and in manufacturing centers. We’ve innovated during hallway conversations and on video conferences across time zones. And, yes, during these past few years, COVID-19 changed a lot of that! But Vertexians all around the globe relied on what made us successful in the past, while we learned new ways of working to go forward. This included being more flexible about when, where and how we work – a new way of working that we now call Flex @ Vertex. Learn about Vertex’s flexible work program, which emphasizes flexibility for all to meet the needs of their personal and professional lives while enabling teams to thrive so we can deliver on our promise to patients.
Flexible Work @ Vertex
youtu.be

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Photos

+ Add Photo
Vertex Pharmaceuticals photo of: Boston skyline
Vertex Pharmaceuticals photo of: Vertex Headquarters
Vertex Pharmaceuticals photo of: Great Strides
Vertex Pharmaceuticals photo of: Office view
Vertex Pharmaceuticals photo of: lunch garden view
Vertex Pharmaceuticals photo of: lunch seaport view
Vertex Pharmaceuticals photo of: Welcome

Glassdoor has 841 Vertex Pharmaceuticals reviews submitted anonymously by Vertex Pharmaceuticals employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Vertex Pharmaceuticals is right for you.