Vertis Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

1.0
Gerald Sokol Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good People, very professional organization (in 3 reviews)

• Office location in downtown Baltimore was great location (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't really care about their employees (in 11 reviews)

• Demands for long hours to be worked in addition to mandatory overtime without overtime due to being salaried and no mention of comp time (in 3 reviews)

1. "Was not giving many hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

I worked at Vertis Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got more than minimum wage and were able to work the shift i wanted and there is nothing else to say

Cons

Only a temp and did not get many hours and management was not good and did not get long breaks

Advice to Management

Shut down

2. "Terrible Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Vertis Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None...perhaps leaving with your dignity intact would be a pro.

Cons

Don't value employees or their customers at all. Purely bottom-line driven in all decisions. Management will outright lie to both employees and customers.

3. "back stabbers"

Former Employee - Press Assist in Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Press Assist in Medina, OH

I worked at Vertis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

none plant closed gone forever

Cons

poorly managed wasted lots of money

Advice to Management

drop dead

4. "Bankrupt"

I worked at Vertis Communications full-time

Pros

Exciting to be part of a company during a time of transition.

Cons

Management was more interested in diversifying away from print then investing in it. Why would the Board put a former AOL executive of a print company is beyond me.

Advice to Management

You shot yourselves.

5. "screwed from day one"

Current Employee - Second Press Op in Lufkin, TX
    Current Employee - Second Press Op in Lufkin, TX

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

18 years of great friends.close to home.i was able to make a difference in some of our lives by helping to construct an 8 hour shift schedule.my name is danny myers.i intend to help our new owners,quad graphics,impact our lives in a positive way.

Cons

inept top level management that listened more to the investment bankers instead of the people who knew how to make the plants profitable.it is too late for vertis,as i will be terminated at 3pm,tuesday,jan.15,2013.kinda funny.24 years ago on this same date,same time,i was laid off from my 1st manufacturing job.is this deja vu?another con,the secret of my pay.it is 19.90 an hour,or it was.

Advice to Management

none.you have already screwed enough people,including your suppliers.advice to quad-look me up in lufkin.i will be happy to help you impact our plant in a positive way.

6. "Became way to top heavy Bring on Quad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

workers on the floor are great to work with

Cons

if your not part of the F program ( friends family favorites ) even though you bust your ass for them don't expect to be treated with any respect , vertis keeps going bankrupt for a reason alot people running the company that have no idea of what it takes to keep a company running keep pouring money into areas that you keep losing money and put nothing into what is making you money but they must be right because they went to school for it oh wait they were way off the mark and it shows , are plant has been profitable sense ive been there but they keep pouring money elsewhere that keeps bringing us down

Advice to Management

start treating all your employees at least 1/2 as good as you do to the ones in your click , you let alot of hard working people go over the years just so you have more room for people up top that dont have a clue about printing

7. "No wonder they are being bought out"

Current Employee - Mechanic in York, PA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in York, PA

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seriously can't think of any. They were given about 7 years to prove themselves to the York Pa DM plant and they showed us nothing.

Cons

Management. Poor treatment of employees. Needless spending on things not needed(a tv for a break room that is only on the CNN channel? Really?) Taking of pay and benefits from the employees due to their poor management of the company(not because of the economy like they tell you) Do not let employees excel or move on to better themselves. The list just goes on and on....

Advice to Management

York, Pa. DM management, say good bye to your job (you know who I'm talking about) Quad Graphics will not put up with you. Your done.

"Was a great idea with very poor execution. Now it's all over.."

Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Vertis Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Offerings were some of the best in the industry. Dedicated staff in the plants and out in the field. Sales staff that truly cared about their customers.

Cons

Company couldn't get out of its own way. Little to no latitude from investors (PE firms) to invest in integrating the company in order to offer a solid solution to the client. Many CEO changes due to frequent change in equity investors resulting in constant change in direction each time momentum started to build in the right direction. Too much infighting in the executive wing at the corporate office with a CEO who is incapable of making a decision. Remaining top level executives are there due to politicking and back stabbing others. Those who cared about the organization and the employees left or were forced out. Company fails to meet commitments to those that dedicated their lives to the job for many years often working 24/7 spending time away from their families.

Advice to Management

The only advice to the executive team is to pray that karma doesn't come around. Terminating employees the week before filing bankruptcy knowing you'd be filing a motion to exclude pre-petition severance, filing those motions and not providing any notice to those expecting a check, affecting retiree pensions due to your greed and careless spending, and then subsequently playing the victim of the courts to your employees allowing them to believe this was out of your control will certainly come to haunt you in some way.

Advice to Quad: Start over with leadership for the most part. You do not need the Vertis executive team to integrate the companies except in the case of technology. They are not respected and will do more harm than good. There is only one member left of the executive team I'd ever work for or hire and not surprisingly he's not in the corporate office in Baltimore. If you need good people to help integrate, look to those that have left over the recent years. Those are the ones that cared and just couldn't take it any longer.

9. "Very Challeneged"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Vertis Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong core of long-term employees willing to do what it takes to move the company forward.

Cons

Poor senior management not focused on the long-term vision of the business.

10. "Run, don't walk!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The pay was very good...well compensated for my position. Fellow colleagues were friendly, worked hard, and knew their jobs well.

Cons

Turnover is high because people get burned out. Vertis isn't just fast paced, it's frenetic. Everything is crazy, up and down, all over the place. Senior management changes quickly as well. I've worked in a professional environment for 15 years and never experienced such an unhealthy work setting.

Advice to Management

Slow down and make smart, well-informed decisions instead of acting for the sake of it. Understand that your employees have a life outside of work.