Veson Nautical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Veson

"Well run small company with excellent benefits, fair pay, solid product and top-tier customer base"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Veson is a successful software company operating in a premier office space in Back Bay Boston, and offering employees market pay and excellent benefits like a 401K with company contribution, nearly super inexpensive medical and dental insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield, with a Health Reimbursement account that pays for the medical deduction, and a FSA for dental deduction), 3 weeks vacation right off the bat (increasing after 3 years to 4 weeks), paid lunches, a transportation subsidy, and much more.

The company has won the business of most of the top companies in its space, and this provides us instant credibility when we contact other companies. Veson has achieved this success by 1) building a solid product that addresses a variety of needs in the maritime space, 2) hiring consultants who excel at product knowledge, the maritime industry knowledge and on how to run an implementation project successfully and 3) placing an incredible amount of emphasis on post implementation customer support to keep customers happy.

Management is generally supportive of its employees and takes a long view on their development. Because its challenging to find people with maritime experience, the company invests in training new hires on the industry and in the product. My training lasted several months, and the company was quite patient as I came up to speed on the product. It's employees are generally top-notch, bright and committed individuals and I enjoy working with them.

The management team from the Chief Operating Officer down are always available and ready to listen to ideas and issues. Their management style is collaborative. Also indicative of their investment in employees, unlike the last two small software companies I worked at, which outsourced HR and had a terrible relationship with its employees, Veson has set up a top notch HR department, that works hard to ensure employees' needs are addressed.

I've worked in a number of software companies and this is the most fiscally conservatively run small software company I've every seen. This means that the company is financially stable, free of debt and of investors setting unrealistic growth goals. Because of this, when annual financial results are good, the company grows moderately and when the results are not as good, the company takes the long view and maintains their employee base.

In summary, Veson Nautical is the best small software company I've worked at, compared to the other 5 software companies I've worked for in my career.

Cons

The company is run quite lean, and sometimes employees are left to figure things out on their own and make things happen using their own creativity. This can offer a great opportunity to develop skills but can also be uncomfortable for less experienced employees. The alternative is to overhire but this is counter to the company's financially conservative approach.

It also hires a lot of young employees just getting started in their careers. Some are very mature and talented, but some of the less mature ones can gripe of being overworked, thus some of the reviews you see here.

There is a mixed message about working from home. I've been told the company discourages it but some managers seem to often work from home.

Advice to Management

Hire employees in the middle of their career or later.

Once you've built some trust with your employees, allow them to work from home.

Spend more on marketing. We have so much to crow about but you don't take advantage of it. We are our own best secret.

Sep 6, 2016 – HR Associate

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate the time you took to write such a thoughtful and detailed review. And, we’re thrilled to see you’re having a positive experience at Veson Nautical ... More

2. "Very Functional Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Veson Nautical (More than a year)

Pros

Great transparency, direct frequent communication with executive management and product as well as sales to understand what was happening within the company. Very function-based thinking

Cons

Culture is a little bit awkward friendly. They try to put together events but not exactly the most exciting event plannings. Functional-based thinking of products makes products relatively difficult to use and confusing.

Advice to Management

Prioritize the user experience. At least turn on music and/or turn down lights for happy hours

Jul 13, 2016 – HR Associate

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are committed to creating a transparent environment for our team and I’m glad to hear you experienced that during your time at Veson Nautical ... More

"Small company attempting to become mid size."

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Veson Nautical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Salary and benefits are not bad. Employees are passionate and committed. Never not busy. Managers are approachable and will listen.

Cons

Demanding and cheap client base. Company is privately owned and sometimes seems based on the whims of owners. Lack of accountability throughout management structure. No processes in place. Very little room for career development. Do what you do but do it more and quicker.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Think deep and had about career development for employees.

Apr 29, 2015 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We take all feedback seriously and are truly committed to continuously improving our company including our overall employee experience. Employee ... More

"Great small company culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Veson Nautical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

people, culture, twice/weekly catered food. Really as good as it gets for a small software company.

Cons

shipping software is pretty niche and might not seem new and/or fancy as they are mostly form based. However, they do have some cool web development.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"I am proud to be part of such a talented, fun, & motivated team that is dedicated to making an impact on the industry."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Family-like + fun environment
    Company that cares about its employees
    Work hard - play hard mentality
    Fascinating + unique industry
    Extremely smart + dedicated team
    Entire company wants to hear what you have to say + they take your thoughts into consideration

Cons

At Veson, you are expected to work hard in a very fast-paced environment. Every day is different and you need to stay on your toes. If you are not up for a challenge, then Veson probably is not for you.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating a workplace that I enjoy going to everyday. Keep up the great work!

7. "Veson Nautical has allowed me to participate in projects that would have been unavailable at most companies."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Intelligent and enthusiastic coworkers
    The chance to work on a variety of projects where your feedback is encouraged and implemented
    A respectful team of people who I genuinely enjoy working with
    A fantastic office space designed with employees in mind

Cons

Everyone's contribution is expected. If you aren't up for accountability, it might not be the best place for you.

Advice to Management

The open dialogue with employees is fantastic, keep it up!

"Engaging, Challenging, Rewarding and Fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Amazing, smart, quirky, accomplished, professional people, gorgeous office, opportunity to grow and take on new challenges, unique opportunity to take the marine market by storm

Cons

It's only a downside if you are faint of heart - people are highly engaged and as a result we work hard. If you're not up for that, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

They know what they need to do and are working towards it - pressing responsibility deeper into the organization, creating more repeatable processes and structure, these are the challenges of rapid growth - we are doing it!

"Lots of unrealized potential"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Small, unstructured, chaotic, potential, fast growing.

Cons

Chaotic, ad-hoc, unstructured, monolithic, fiefdoms.

Advice to Management

Allow the company to grow.

10. "Many Opportunities For Growth and Development"

I have been working at Veson Nautical full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for to grow your career.

Cons

Low turnout at Company events

Feb 15, 2017 – HR Associate

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! Career development for our team members is very important to us. I’m glad to see that your experience related to this area has been positive ... More

11. "Nice people, everyone is overworked"

Pros

- CEO is a genius
    - Benefits
    - Location
    - People
    - Kitchen
    - Drinking in office after 5
    - Office looks great
    - Great Clients
    - Make a huge difference in a major industry

Cons

- Inexperienced management
    - Aggressive timelines, getting set up for failure
    - Everyone is overworked
    - Company events no one can attend because they are too busy working
    - Great work/life benefits but you can't use them because there is too much work
    - Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

When higher ups keep saying yes to Clients, it trickles down to the people who are executing and they don't get a choice. Either need to hire more or space out work a bit.

Aug 30, 2016 – HR Associate

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s great to see the number of positive comments you’ve listed about Veson Nautical, and I agree with all of them. I’m sorry to see your time ... More