Veterans First Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Gates

1. "Veterans First Mortgage is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Veterans First Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great positive work environment. Staff and leadership really care about helping Veterans. The office environment is casual and relaxed while maintaining its professionalism. The management and recruiter truly care about you as a person. Good leads are provided to you directly and there is no cold calling or self sourcing business. The compensation plan (which combines a base salary and commissions) is fantastic for someone with a family who does not want to worry/panic about a commission check every month.

Cons

Honestly, my experience with the company was fantastic. It pained me to leave this team.

Advice to Management

Continue the positive and fun work environment - it really makes the employees feel like a family.

"Solid but Outdated Model"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Veterans First Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been originating loans for over a year. The managers are extremely helpful in the learning process who will train you from the ground up. A solid base pay, progressive commission structure, and some benefits. Location is one of the the best places to be in San Diego. I want to emphasize that the managers will go above and beyond to make sure you are successful. You will need to work hard, not a sit around and milk the clock type of job.

Cons

The company is not innovative, outdated systems, CRM is a dinosaur and constantly has issues. No auto dialing system. Don't feel there is actual marketing being done like USAA or Veterans United. Marketing buys leads from lead generating sites like lending tree.

Advice to Management

Innovate, real marketing.

3. "Mortgage Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Veterans First Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mortgage loan officers at this company are given a unique opportunity to work hands on with an intuitive management team. They know how to keep their employees happy!

- Very positive attitude and culture
     - Managers teach you everything you need to know
     - Pay is better than other companies for the same effort

Cons

I don't have any complaints. Best company I've ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Veterans First is the lender to watch out for.

4. "Good pay, flexible hours, and is very relaxed. Great college job"

Current Employee - Contactor in Bountiful, UT
    Current Employee - Contactor in Bountiful, UT

I have been working at Veterans First Mortgage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code, you pick your own hours and great break room. You can also make a lot more than 8$ an hour through commissions

Cons

You call people about mortgages and some months are slower than others, and you occasionally call someone that gets angry

"Veterans First Soars"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Diego, CA

Pros

After working in a large national bank, the atmosphere and culture at Veterans First is so refreshing. I could tell a difference in how this company treated their clients and employees right off the bat. At the last place I worked they put in the lip-service of valuing employees and clients but really they were just numbers and profits. Here at Veterans First they have really worked to create a culture where people look forward to coming to work. They really work hard for our veterans and try to get them into homes, and its inspiring to hear the stories. All I can say is if you are interested in the mortgage industry and you feel that you would like to help veterans apply here! I thank the powers that be every day that I work at such a wonderful company.

Cons

I will be honest though, when you start with Veterans First (and you aren't already licensed) you will have to put in a lot of up front work to pass the NMLS test. It is hard but not impossible and they do supply you with plenty of study materials. So just be ready to put your nose to the grindstone.

Advice to Management

Management here is fantastic, you can tell they love their job just from the interview. Yes some may have management styles that rub you the wrong way but you are going to find that everywhere.

"Job Review"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Manager in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Manager in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Veterans First Mortgage (Less than a year)

Pros

They had a great marketing budget.

Cons

They weren't very organized company and didn't have very good direction.

"Find a different company"

Former Employee - CA - California in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - CA - California in San Diego, CA

I worked at Veterans First Mortgage full-time

Pros

Office is beautiful and located in the heart of little italy. Close to restaurants and bars. Computers are top notch.

One manager was actually helpful.

Cons

Management is terrible, some are harassing. Lots of turn over. Pay structure makes the company rich and keeps you poor until you can finally get on the phone after 3 weeks of training. Training sucks, piece meal. HR is terrible. Recruiting drops the ball left and right. They're cheap. If you want to park in their lot, they change $150/mo. The lot gets full, so you're out of luck and may have to pay for street parking. Very top down organization. Even the top producers are unhappy/burnt out.

Advice to Management

Look at your processes and improve them. Stop hiring and growingso much, unless you can adequately train and sustain it.

"Good place to learn about loan programs"

Former Employee - Purchase Loan Originator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Purchase Loan Originator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Veterans First Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

Because the company only originates two mortgages - VA and FHA - it is a good place to learn about those loan programs.

Cons

Only able to originate the two loans. Very cliquey environment.

9. "Loam Sales"

Former Employee - Junior Loan Processor/Loan Officer Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Loan Processor/Loan Officer Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Veterans First Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with time off requests.

Cons

Inconsistent company guidelines and culture.

"Getting Better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Veterans First Mortgage full-time

Pros

Our new Loan system is up and running and getting better every day. There were changes in management that have made a big difference in a few departments. I would like to move to one of the departments that was effected by the management changes. The company culture is getting better.

Cons

I still feel intimidated and threatened by my boss. I wanted to say something to HR but I was told by another employee that HR is only her for the mangers and not us.

Advice to Management

The changes are helping please keep doing more so I can enjoy my job.