Veterans Medical Research Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Room for responsibilities"

Pros

Lots of work, small staff.

Cons

Small staff, big management. And no federal perks even though you're under federal regulations.

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. VMRF proudly honors service with science by facilitating health services research that is specific to conditions that affect our veteran... More

"Horrible place to work at"

Former Employee - Research Associate III in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate III in San Diego, CA

I worked at Veterans Medical Research Foundation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck, but the word count says I need to put 20 words in

Cons

No opportunity for growth, terrible environment, low pay, old and outdated equipment that does not work

Feb 15, 2017

Your feedback is appreciated and valued as it allows us to address areas that may need improvement within our organization. VMRF Human Resources is available to speak with you regarding any feedback... More

3. "Clinical Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

The most rewarding experience is getting to work directly with the Veterans. It truly is amazing and humbling to see them improve and return one year later happier, more successful, and more hopeful.

Cons

VA bureaucracy and red tape everywhere. This affects every operation in VA research, such as funding. The most frustrating thing is that Veterans do not receive the care they deserve.

Advice to Management

Allow for funding to be used to purchase needed study equipment. In addition, Veterans need to get compensated at a much quicker rate in order to maintain interest in Veteran-directed research.

Feb 15, 2017

I apologize for the delayed response. We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. VMRF proudly honors service with science by facilitating health services research that is specific to... More

"Clinical Research"

Former Employee - Research in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Research in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Veterans Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work in San Diego, which is a beautiful city. Other than that, I suppose theoretically their mission of helping veterans is a very positive thing, but not the implementation of how they do it. There are also some really great and intelligent colleagues I had the pleasure of working with, but they too shared the same attitude and were just "doing their time" until they landed another job.

Cons

This is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for, hands down. HR is the worst HR I have ever encountered. They seem to work against you, instead of being called Human Resources, they should be renamed "Company Protectorates". I still can't for the life of me understand why they hire someone who is very good at a particular skill-set, only to have management step in and micromanage to the point of suffocation. The working environment is what I call passive aggressively hostile. I left, and am working at pretty much the exact same position at a competing company, and guess what? I love it there! The corporate culture is one of competence, trust, and valuing their employees. At VMRF, management and HR is incompetent, rude, and they will never give an employee the benefit of the doubt. I should have listened to all the negative reviews here, what a terrible year of my life. Please, if you are reading this, do not do what I did. Heed the advice current and past employees have written and DO NOT work here. HR and management is like a malignant tumor which needs to be entirely replaced. I honestly can not put into words how terrible this company is.

Advice to Management

My advice to management: Please quit your job. As in, now. Management and HR have proven time and time again to be incompetent sycophants who only look out for themselves. You will be thrown under the bus as is convenient for them. Another thing: TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES so you don't continually fire and rehire people as if they were recyclable soda cans. If you haven't noticed, there is a common theme here among all of your reviews, which is why you have such a low rating. You might ask, am I just a disgruntled employee? The real question should be, why are there so many current/former employees posting their reviews here, like me, that all say the same thing? If there are numerous disgruntled employees, maybe the problem does not lie with the employee? Just a thought. Take a good look in the mirror, management, because that is where the problem lies.

Feb 15, 2017

I apologize for the delayed response. Your feedback is appreciated and valued as it allows us to address areas that may need improvement within our organization. VMRF Human Resources is available to... More

"Good stepping stone"

Pros

Good plan to gain research experience before graduate school.

Cons

There isn't much opportunity to move up into higher management without a graduate degree.

6. "Great company, some red tape, HR was hesitatnt"

Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant II in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Veterans Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great source of funding for medical and psychological research for Veterans. Nice facility and located on VA Campus. Setup with telemedicine equipment and nice conference rooms. Good benefits.

Cons

HR was hesitant to help for an ergonomic evaluation. Some red tape, but mainly since working with the San Diego VA.

"The most unethical and the most unqualified management team on the planet."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Veterans Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, none, none, none, none

Cons

Your health will quickly deteriorate. If you are ethical, significantly experienced, and highly educated -- you will experience retaliation.

Advice to Management

Need completely new management team, who are ethical, significantly experienced, and significant educated.

Jan 5, 2016 – Human Resources

Hello – HR welcomes your comments and would like to hear more about your concerns. Please contact us at your convenience; alternatively, you may wish to speak with your supervisor regarding your... More

"contracts and grants coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

The company gives its employees every federal holiday.

Cons

The biggest downside to working at VMRF was that management never really trained their employees. You have to park off site and take a bus into work everyday which could add 45 mins to your commute everyday. Use a lot of college interns as to save on having to pay for actual employees.

Advice to Management

Handle more of the employees problems and not let human resources handle everything.

"Lacks vision & leadership"

I worked at Veterans Medical Research Foundation full-time

Pros

Some colleagues have tried very hard to fix deficiencies and have cared deeply about the future of the organization, very openly sharing concerns with the appropriate leadership.

Cons

Unfortunately many good people have left due to lack of decisive leadership. Turn over is high and positions are vacant all the time. Executives lack the necessary skill set to move the organization forward.

Advice to Management

Develop a strategic plan, balance the budget, and more actively engage the Board.

"Good while you keep looking for a job"

I worked at Veterans Medical Research Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Great co-workers, too bad employee turnover is so high.

Cons

Top heavy organization, lots of managers and directors, very few real leaders.
    No room to grow.
    Salary was terrible. Do not low-ball them on your salary requirements!

Advice to Management

Focus on your business core, invest in what you do best (research and research project management) Outsource everything else (HR, Accounting...etc.)