Veterans United Home Loans Reviews in Columbia, MO | Glassdoor

4.6
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Strong culture and belief in good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Casual dress, fast pace, friendly atmosphere and fun employee events (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the negative comments I've seen are because the company is going through some growing pains (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly Amazing"

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything. I have worked in many professions for both big and small companies. I have never found a company that cares for it's employees and customers the way that VU does. From the first day I showed up to work I was welcomed as if I had been there for 10 years. They are committed to their values. Not only during work hours but even outside of work. Management has a true open door policy and they are never to busy to stop and just chat for a few moments and that includes all of the executives and owners even. I truly feel part of a family working here and every person truly cares as much about each customer and the experience we give them as we do each other.

Cons

There are no perfect companies in the world and everyone has room to grow and improve all the time. I can say without a doubt though that Veterans United is as close as you will find to it. The only negative that I would point out here would be that sometimes being a company that is spread out so much, it can make it hard to keep communication going on issues and culture can definitely be difficult to stay on top of, but they are doing a fantastic job of doing it. They constantly look for ways to improve not only for employees but for customer experience too.

Advice to Management

Brock, Brant and Nate. You guys have built something amazing here. Keep doing what you're doing and caring for people the way you do. You guys are awesome!

Mar 20, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for being a part of our VU family! We are lucky to have people like you on our team who live our values. It can be hard being so spread out, but we are actively working on some ways to get... More

2. "Loan Specialist"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- relaxed atmosphere makes you want to work harder to keep your job b/c you don't want to give it up
    - it's nice to work in a place that treats you like an adult -- do your job and do it well and you can have all the freedom you want

Cons

you do work hard, but the pros still outweigh this

Advice to Management

continue to reward employees' hard work with freedom and fun

Aug 3, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback! We encourage every employee to be themselves and give them the freedom to do so. I agree that we work hard and our hope is that everyone feels passionately about helping... More

3. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding place to work. They take care of their employees.

Cons

Occasionally, during the busy season, a lot of OT is required

Aug 3, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback!

"Solid company, doing their best."

Former Employee - Developer in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Developer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back workplace, some cool perks like weekly lunch. People are generally great to work with. They know their line of business really well (loans, underwriting, etc.). Online/SEM marketing is top notch.

Cons

Sometimes people are not the "best" in terms of talent. Sometimes you get by with pretty mediocre work, but generally you get lots done. Not super flexible in development environment. Software engineering is not the "main" thing, just tech enabled. Loan side of business is really where its "at".

Advice to Management

Seek out the really talented individuals to fill ranks vs. warm bodies. Don't be afraid to pay them as well -- I know it might be hard to find tons in Columbia so I guess maybe pull from STL or KC?

Jun 23, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for making us a great place to work! We are very proud to hire the best talent who are also a values match. Referrals from current employees are always appreciated and we offer a... More

"Receptionist"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work lot of incentives and the COMPANY knows how to take care of their employees management however.....

Cons

Management needs help in their ways to manage the department in that there's a lot of favoritism and no senorita what so ever. New employees are offered higher up positions ove someone that's been with the company for years.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites and treat all of ur employees as equal and not favor each one over another. And be far and if u can let one person know what's going on then make sure to inform ur entire team so that everyone's on the same page

Jun 23, 2017 – Culture Rep

We are honored to be named one of the 100 Best Places to Work by Fortune and are glad you agree. We are also proud to be able to promote from within when a current employee is the best fit for the... More

"Too good to be true?"

Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You always hear that if something sounds too good to be true, then it must not be true. This is why I avoided coming to work for VU sooner. I was a skeptic. Who were these people sporting VU shirts, posting pics to social media, constantly talking about how great it was. Well, I wasted years of my life by not coming to VU sooner! I have amazing leadership around me. My colleagues are wonderful. The environment is fantastic. And mostly importantly, I come to work everyday feeling like I make a difference. I absolutely love what I do. VU is top notch all around.

Cons

I think VU is an environment where hard workers can thrive. If you don't want to work hard and be a team player, then this is not the place for you. This isn't a con, but something that people should know before coming. You might see how much employees love it and assume it's all fun and no work. We have a lot of fun, but we also work hard for our Veterans and borrowers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I think there are appropriate levels of upward mobility, good pay and good benefits. Please keep working hard to keep this incredible culture!

Apr 25, 2017 – HR Representative

We are glad you finally made the switch and joined us! Thanks for bringing your passion to work and enhancing lives every day. Delivering results isn't just one of our values; it's an expectation we... More

7. "Intern to Full Time Employee"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started out at VU as an intern and was offered a job to work full time after graduation. My internship experience was more than I could have ever hoped for. I was given multiple opportunities to shadow employees in different departments and in my own. We also had a really fun internship program with personal development classes and events with the execs. I think my favorite thing about working as an intern, and also now as a full time employee, is feeling supported. I feel like the people I work with genuinely care about me, want me to succeed, and will help me grow as an employee and as an individual.

Cons

None... sometimes we don't have jalapeno chips in the free vending machine.

Apr 25, 2017 – HR Representative

We love hiring our interns because they turn in to amazing employees! Thanks for adulting with us :-)

"Home Loan Consultant"

Current Employee - Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The company truly believes and practices our values
    2. You get to make a difference in the lives of Veterans
    3. Co-workers really become your friends and you learn to challenge and help one another.
    4. Management is the to support you and help you grow
    5. Family is important and it shows in the many events and opportunities that are available
    6. You can be yourself without fear of "the corporate world"
    7. Opportunities for advancement are available for those who deliver results and live the values
    8. Like other careers there is benchmarks and goals but each personal achievement is celebrated and appreciated.
    9. Great team mentality that gives you a great sense of family and belonging.
    10. Our foundation is amazing! We make an impact from one person in Columbia to hundreds in Jamaica

Cons

I have always been a hard worker so for me there is not really a downside at VU. I guess if you are the sort of person who wants to enjoy all the perks but only deliver the minimum results, this might not be for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep listening to employee feedback and keep offering opportunities for advancement.

Apr 3, 2017 – HR Representative

We loved reading your "Top 10" list of why you love working at Veterans United! Thanks for all you do and please know that your feedback is always welcomed.

"VU employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture
    Fun perks
    Always striving to take care of us
    Awesome dress code or lack of dress code (hello yoga pants!) Yoga pants are welcome at VU :)
    Great co-workers
    Love that we try new things, things that make us better

Cons

I don't think there's any Cons, we're growing, there's always growing pains, but growth is great and something to be THANKFUL for!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - keeping the culture as a priority!

Apr 3, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for the positive review! We appreciate the last 5 years you've spent with us. Here's to 5 more years in yoga pants!

10. "VU is the Best employer in the World"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our culture is unlike any other. It is amazing to work here.

Cons

There are NO cons. This place is so great!!

High five!