Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Pros
  • Strong culture and belief in good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Casual dress, fast pace, friendly atmosphere and fun employee events (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the negative comments I've seen are because the company is going through some growing pains (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly Amazing"

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything. I have worked in many professions for both big and small companies. I have never found a company that cares for it's employees and customers the way that VU does. From the first day I showed up to work I was welcomed as if I had been there for 10 years. They are committed to their values. Not only during work hours but even outside of work. Management has a true open door policy and they are never to busy to stop and just chat for a few moments and that includes all of the executives and owners even. I truly feel part of a family working here and every person truly cares as much about each customer and the experience we give them as we do each other.

Cons

There are no perfect companies in the world and everyone has room to grow and improve all the time. I can say without a doubt though that Veterans United is as close as you will find to it. The only negative that I would point out here would be that sometimes being a company that is spread out so much, it can make it hard to keep communication going on issues and culture can definitely be difficult to stay on top of, but they are doing a fantastic job of doing it. They constantly look for ways to improve not only for employees but for customer experience too.

Advice to Management

Brock, Brant and Nate. You guys have built something amazing here. Keep doing what you're doing and caring for people the way you do. You guys are awesome!

Mar 20, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for being a part of our VU family! We are lucky to have people like you on our team who live our values. It can be hard being so spread out, but we are actively working on some ways to get ... More

"Too good to be true?"

Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You always hear that if something sounds too good to be true, then it must not be true. This is why I avoided coming to work for VU sooner. I was a skeptic. Who were these people sporting VU shirts, posting pics to social media, constantly talking about how great it was. Well, I wasted years of my life by not coming to VU sooner! I have amazing leadership around me. My colleagues are wonderful. The environment is fantastic. And mostly importantly, I come to work everyday feeling like I make a difference. I absolutely love what I do. VU is top notch all around.

Cons

I think VU is an environment where hard workers can thrive. If you don't want to work hard and be a team player, then this is not the place for you. This isn't a con, but something that people should know before coming. You might see how much employees love it and assume it's all fun and no work. We have a lot of fun, but we also work hard for our Veterans and borrowers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I think there are appropriate levels of upward mobility, good pay and good benefits. Please keep working hard to keep this incredible culture!

Apr 25, 2017 – HR Representative

We are glad you finally made the switch and joined us! Thanks for bringing your passion to work and enhancing lives every day. Delivering results isn't just one of our values; it's an expectation we ... More

3. "High Energy Work Environment"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, fast pace, friendly atmosphere and fun employee events.

Cons

main office is in Columbia, MO so at times our KC office was a bit detached from main events.

5. "Intern to Full Time Employee"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started out at VU as an intern and was offered a job to work full time after graduation. My internship experience was more than I could have ever hoped for. I was given multiple opportunities to shadow employees in different departments and in my own. We also had a really fun internship program with personal development classes and events with the execs. I think my favorite thing about working as an intern, and also now as a full time employee, is feeling supported. I feel like the people I work with genuinely care about me, want me to succeed, and will help me grow as an employee and as an individual.

Cons

None... sometimes we don't have jalapeno chips in the free vending machine.

Apr 25, 2017 – HR Representative

We love hiring our interns because they turn in to amazing employees! Thanks for adulting with us :-)

"Home Loan Consultant"

Current Employee - Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The company truly believes and practices our values
    2. You get to make a difference in the lives of Veterans
    3. Co-workers really become your friends and you learn to challenge and help one another.
    4. Management is the to support you and help you grow
    5. Family is important and it shows in the many events and opportunities that are available
    6. You can be yourself without fear of "the corporate world"
    7. Opportunities for advancement are available for those who deliver results and live the values
    8. Like other careers there is benchmarks and goals but each personal achievement is celebrated and appreciated.
    9. Great team mentality that gives you a great sense of family and belonging.
    10. Our foundation is amazing! We make an impact from one person in Columbia to hundreds in Jamaica

Cons

I have always been a hard worker so for me there is not really a downside at VU. I guess if you are the sort of person who wants to enjoy all the perks but only deliver the minimum results, this might not be for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep listening to employee feedback and keep offering opportunities for advancement.

Apr 3, 2017 – HR Representative

We loved reading your "Top 10" list of why you love working at Veterans United! Thanks for all you do and please know that your feedback is always welcomed.

"VU employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture
    Fun perks
    Always striving to take care of us
    Awesome dress code or lack of dress code (hello yoga pants!) Yoga pants are welcome at VU :)
    Great co-workers
    Love that we try new things, things that make us better

Cons

I don't think there's any Cons, we're growing, there's always growing pains, but growth is great and something to be THANKFUL for!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - keeping the culture as a priority!

Apr 3, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for the positive review! We appreciate the last 5 years you've spent with us. Here's to 5 more years in yoga pants!

8. "VU is the Best employer in the World"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our culture is unlike any other. It is amazing to work here.

Cons

There are NO cons. This place is so great!!

High five!

"Who would think the mortgage industry could be so AWESOME?!?!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love coming to work. I am made to feel valued. I am encouraged to grow in my career and in my faith. I am told to have fun. I am allowed to serve our veterans. I am given free food.

Cons

There are no cons at all.

Mar 28, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for your dedication and hard work the past 3 years!

"There's a reason we're #27 on Forbes Greatest Places to Work list"

Current Employee - Post Closing in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Post Closing in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of room for growth and movement in the company
    -Opportunities for personal development
    -Great work life balance
    -VU hires people who appreciate the culture here, so it's really easy to make friends
    -Competitive pay
    -Flexible hours (in most departments)

Cons

-It's very difficult to get on here because there are so many applicants

Mar 28, 2017 – HR Representative

We were honored and excited to be named #27 on the 2017 100 Best Companies to Work For list, but we wouldn't have made it without you, and all of our employees. Thanks for keeping our culture great. ... More

"Accounts Payable Specialist"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Veterans United because of the inclusive environment. The leaders of the company work tirelessly to make sure we are well rounded and taken care of in all areas of our lives. There are departments dedicated to making sure you have fun at work and feel fulfilled. We have small groups, special interest groups and personal development programs so you can feel like you're growing as an individual outside of your daily tasks. We celebrate holidays and accomplishments often, and sometimes we celebrate just because VU loves us. It's a great place to be!

Cons

I feel so blessed to be at Veterans United Home Loans. My only con is that I didn't join the team sooner.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice whatsoever - only gratitude. Thank you for loving us. Thank you for showing us grace and support and guidance. Thank you for teaching us what it means to be leaders and focusing everyone to the values. We are all so blessed to work for this organization. Thank you!

Mar 28, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank YOU for your dedication to VU and everything you do to keep our culture amazing!