Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Strong culture and belief in good work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Casual dress, fast pace, friendly atmosphere and fun employee events (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the negative comments I've seen are because the company is going through some growing pains (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly Amazing"

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything. I have worked in many professions for both big and small companies. I have never found a company that cares for it's employees and customers the way that VU does. From the first day I showed up to work I was welcomed as if I had been there for 10 years. They are committed to their values. Not only during work hours but even outside of work. Management has a true open door policy and they are never to busy to stop and just chat for a few moments and that includes all of the executives and owners even. I truly feel part of a family working here and every person truly cares as much about each customer and the experience we give them as we do each other.

Cons

There are no perfect companies in the world and everyone has room to grow and improve all the time. I can say without a doubt though that Veterans United is as close as you will find to it. The only negative that I would point out here would be that sometimes being a company that is spread out so much, it can make it hard to keep communication going on issues and culture can definitely be difficult to stay on top of, but they are doing a fantastic job of doing it. They constantly look for ways to improve not only for employees but for customer experience too.

Advice to Management

Brock, Brant and Nate. You guys have built something amazing here. Keep doing what you're doing and caring for people the way you do. You guys are awesome!

Mar 20, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for being a part of our VU family! We are lucky to have people like you on our team who live our values. It can be hard being so spread out, but we are actively working on some ways to get... More

2. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans (Less than a year)

Pros

VUHL truly cares about you, your family and your goals (with the company and without). They work with you to put you and your family first. And they is always seems to be room for growth within the company

Cons

At this point there isn’t anything that I can think of that would be a con... maybe one thing would be to offer more training and follow up training after employees have been hired for awhile. I think this would help clear some miscommunications that happen.

Nov 6, 2017 – Culture Rep

Welcome to VU and thanks for the review. Family is very important around here and we hope your family, and work family, continue to flourish. We always evaluate the way we do things and work on new... More

3. "Great Potential, But Doesn't Deliver"

Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with on a daily basis are genuinely great people. There is usually flexibility in your daily schedule, I could come and go as I pleased during the day and no one cared. You get the freedom to captain your own ship, and I really did love that. If you're looking for a decent paying job while you transition to something else within a year or so, this is a great place to work.

Cons

Veterans United has created a high stress environment for those who work in production. They chronically over hire loan officers, making it tough to meet sales requirements, and they chronically under-hire support staff like Account Managers, Assistants, and Underwriters. In other words, getting business is difficult-- involving many nights and weekends away from your home life -- and the deals you do get are often sabotaged by the poor infrastructure of the company. There was a point where it was taking almost 7 days to have an "in-house" underwriter review a loan. That has gotten better, but could be much better.
    The pay structure is not great for loan officers. This is a high-pressure sales job and loan officers are expected to be licensed experts, knowledgeable of corporate and federal guidelines for multiple loan products, maintain elite level customer service scores, and maintain a high score on a range of internal metrics. Folks working in this job expect to be paid on a commission basis for their sales and VU has decided that it's more important for the owners to have private jets and homes on private islands than it is to properly take care of their talented work force.
    There is differential treatment of the loan officers regarding the pay scale. There are some loan officers at the company who are able to earn a high commission solely because they were hired before a certain date and in most cases those loan officers have a huge team that does 80% of their work for them. Meanwhile, other loan officers are paid hourly, must close 6 loans a month, and are required to PAY BACK THEIR OVERTIME. In other words, you're working for free if you work over 40 hours, and you almost always work over 40. Any bonus you earned would be confiscated to pay off your debt log. The debt log also included appraisals for deals that fell through, often times for reasons beyond your control. (Appraisals, on average, are between $500 and $750 each.) I would do the same amount of work and earn half the income as the guy next to me. It's not enough for them to just be a successful company, they now have to be #1 in the country in terms of volume. Of course, this is done on the backs of their employees and the company reaps the benefits.
    It is impossible to leave for vacation. Taking a day off is no big deal, but taking a week off sets you back so far that it makes you unable to even enjoy your vacation while you're away from work. Not to mention that even while you're gone you'll still be answering calls and emails from clients (and coworkers who are covering for you) -- constantly.
    The work space is unacceptable for adults working in this industry. Loan officers at Veterans United work shoulder to shoulder in cubicles, like minimum wage workers at a customer service call center. A loan officer at any other bank would have an office or a private work space to carry out their business while working with a borrower's personal and confidential information. A professional working in this industry would be turned off knowing they would have to work in that kind of environment. Simply unprofessional. Have an upset client? You'll be taking that call in front of about 15 other people unless you walk outside the building. But at the end of the day, VU is a loan mill that found a niche in the mortgage market that was immune to the market crash (VA loans), and they take advantage of our nation's finest to make a buck. They routinely give loans to folks fresh out of bankruptcy, short sales, etc. They just want to close the deal, and the VA loan makes it easy.
    The VU foundation is funded by donations directly from the salaries of employees (I myself donated), yet the company takes the credit for the work the foundation does. They get the credit and keep their money. It's a win/win for VU.

Advice to Management

I know that you pride yourselves on your employee reviews and your "best place to work" rating, but the fact is that people are not honest when they fill those out. It's like a fraternity, no one in the fraternity is going to talk bad about the fraternity because your fraternity is cooler than other people’s fraternities. It’s simple tribalism, and the fact that you push it so hard makes it obvious you’re fishing for the good surveys. I know it gives you good publicity, but I would just encourage you to look past it and really try to understand what is important to people. (Hint: it's money) You need to pay higher wages, plain and simple. Giving away cheap fountain soda and t-shirts worked for a while but it's not going to make folks happy for long.
    Lastly, you need to find an aggressive pay scale to provide incentives for your loan officers. As a new loan officer, you'll make the same amount of money in your 5th year as you did in your first year unless you divorce your wife and kids and marry your job. What's the incentive to stick around? How will someone grow their career? Teaming up and hiring assistants doesn’t really work in the long run unless you change the pay structure. The new bonus structure is a joke. Paying back your overtime is a joke. Paying for appraisals on broken deals is a joke. Start thinking about the people who are on the front lines, provide them with REAL rewards, share your profits, and quit being selfish.

Consider this: ALL of the production managers and directors, who were loan officers when they started at VU, were paid on a commission and received very high income. Back when they started I doubt any of them would have chosen to work as loan officers at Veterans United if they were offered the pay that you're currently offering loan officers. They would have laughed and walked out the front door. It's hypocritical for them to expect new loan officers to be happy with an income that they wouldn't have accepted for themselves. They're talented people, but give the same opportunity to your new hires.

4. "Loan Specialist"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. You can wear what you want and make your own hours for the most part. There are lots of company events to boost involvement.

Cons

This company will hire an intern over a seasoned employee. Not much room for advancement. Since my hiring I've seen many college graduates come on and take positions over seasoned staff.

Advice to Management

Better define what it takes to be promoted and qualifications for positions.

Dec 11, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for taking the time to send us this review. We’d like to encourage you to reach out to your associate director of production or your HR manager, both of whom would be willing to help you with... More

5. "Loan Originator"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule and great co-workers

Cons

Not good marketing or lead management

Advice to Management

Promote from within and give people starting out the proper tools and training

Nov 30, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks, it's the great people at VU who make us who we are. We're always striving to update and improve training to give employees the best tools they need to enhance the lives of our veterans.... More

6. "Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most impressive thing about VU are the people who work here. High quality teammates and peers who truly do care and help each other daily. Excellent lower management. Team leaders, peers, and ADs do seem to genuinely care and show it regularly. Free candy, parties, and swag is a pro for some. Great foundation that gives a lot to the community. Ethical business practices or you’re gone which is great. Encouraged to do right by the clients we serve, and to always be honest, which is rare in this industry. Owners and CEO are very humble people who seem genuine. Almost everyone is a team player who will stop what they’re doing to help you through tough situations. Company is always adding new and better systems/equipment. The onboarding and training is great and does set you up for success. Management does actually consider personal life stuff that comes up and won’t just fire you without first making numerous attempts to help you improve, or find you a more suitable position elsewhere in the company if available. A lot of passionate and caring people around. Some of the most talented and hardest working employees work here. For a high pressure sales environment it is impressive how most people help each other succeed. Status around town for working at this company. Patient and compassionate managers for the most part.

Cons

It can be very much like high school with lots of gossip and rumors spreading like wild fire. Some managers and execs are disconnected from the sales force and don’t listen to team leaders advocating for change. If they “listen” it seems to be just for perception and saving face, but minimal action on friction areas. None of the execs or management have worked as a new path loan officer so they have no idea how their policies are impacting the guys/gals who are on that plan, and don’t seem to care so long as the good ol’ boys are content and production growth is achieved. Two very unequal compensation plans/paths for the loan officers. One plan that pays nearly 2x as the other (old path) and only available to those who started prior to a set date (though they’ve made an exception for 1 or 2 people who are family/friends). Creates animosity and a separation of “social/financial” class. New plan/path is not only less income but also more challenging to grow a team because fewer resources are allocated since old path LOs are prioritized. The burn out rate is high and the company just cycles through extremely well qualified employees with seemingly no care about the lack of retention. New path LO achievement seems to be considered inferior to the old path LOs since old path earns nearly twice the money for doing the same job... based solely on a start date at the company. Gone are the days of making life changing money as an LO at VU unless you’re grandfathered in on the old path. Average income for LOs across the country may be higher but the pay per unit of work is significantly lower, with zero work-life balance until you’re with the company 3-5+ years, even then it’s not guaranteed. They hire without explaining that you don’t get paid on your first 5 loans closed each month (only loans 6+), that they charge you $3k/year for a mandatory service, and though OT is paid (and required) they don’t tell you that it accumulates onto a debt log and the debt log must be repaid prior to ever receiving a bonus. There’s a lot of arrogance and complacency. They may have a monopoly on candidates in this town but being a small town the bad culture within the sales dept will travel quickly and recovering will be more costly than just doing right and compensating more fairly by ending the old path and combining both plans into one (meet in the middle) providing all LOs the same opportunity to compete on an equal playing field. The company has switched to a focus of maintaining their position as number 1 and their bottom line, even if that means overworking and exhausting their production employees to the point they have health issues, mental breakdowns, substance abuse, and/or leave the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Truly take a look at your production employees and how exhausted, stressed, and beat up they are on a regular basis - it’s not conducive to long term retention. End the arrogance and complacency. Even the playing field for all LOs in the company with a single pay plan. Focus again on what created the reputation and culture that brought us to your company. Don’t dangle the carrot so far out that the only way to reach it is through sacrificing our life balance and health. End the inferior treatment of new path LOs based on a start date. Manage expectations better. Find a way to provide LOs vacation time.

Dec 1, 2017 – HR Representative

We appreciate the candor in which you’ve shared your perceptions, both the good and bad that you feel you’re experiencing while working with all of us at Veterans United Home Loans. Your post has... More

7. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great training and wonderful working environment

Cons

Work load is feast or famine at times. Bonus structure has changed numerous times.

Advice to Management

Pick a bonus structure and stick with it so income can be counted on.

Nov 30, 2017 – Culture Rep

We appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback. Along with our training programs, we are constantly looking at the bonus structure for ways to improve it for our employees.

8. "Great company"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Very employee oriented, room to move up, flexible schedules, great work-life balance.

Cons

Insurance is expensive and lackluster, tension between departments can be stressful.

Nov 6, 2017 – Culture Rep

Hi, thanks for the feedback. We try hard to make work-life balance a reality for each employee and not just an afterthought. Our insurance is something that is constantly being looked at and... More

9. "Amazing company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Benefits
    Friendly People
    Family atmosphere
    Great work life balance

Cons

Have not found one yet

Advice to Management

N/A

Oct 19, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

10. "Transaction Coordinator"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great culture, values, and people. Rewarding work

Cons

Lack of training and oversight, long hours

Nov 6, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for putting in feedback. We are proud of the employees that do a superb job of promoting our great culture. Also, those employees work hard for our Veterans everyday.