Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "From pay to work life balance, to equal consideration in the workplace- I couldn't say enough" (in 17 reviews)

• "Work life balance, casual dress code, awesome co workers" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions" (in 5 reviews)

• "Most of the negative comments I've seen are because the company is going through some growing pains" (in 8 reviews)

1. "One Happy Loan Officer :)"

Current Employee - Loan Officer
    Current Employee - Loan Officer

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The VU Team, benefits, and training and support for new Loan Officers

Cons

Loan Officers are commissioned but clock in/out like hourly. Not a bad thing at all but takes some getting adjusted to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work!! The work-life balance and culture of this company is phenomenal. It is evident that your hiring practices have been tried and proven as I have met some of the BEST people here.

Apr 5, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you so much! We try to do our best to make sure people have a great work-life balance. We try to find the best people we can and they are the ones who make our culture better each day.

2. "Great for some. Not me."

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Progressive and fun (kinda) atmosphere

Cons

Very cut-throat internally. Trainees are in competition with each other, as if 6 are being trained, and the 3 best will be granted continuing employment.

Jun 28, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the feedback. We do take pride in the fact that Veterans United is always looking for ways to improve which includes our training programs. Every day and every position is a little... More

"Stay Clear."

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a fun work environment. You will be given tee shirts almost weekly and they are good about giving you gift cards here at home office and anything else to keep you not focused on the circus you’re joining.

Cons

As a fellow veteran, I couldn’t stand to see the lack of effort given as a whole. All execs up to the top claim they are open to feedback but it’s better to give it once you’re asked to leave.

Advice to Management

When you have it in your Mission Statement, “we embrace open and honest communication” try to truly mean that. Not everyone is at Veterans United for just a check, they want what’s best for the consumer, and when people can go to any other competition and save thousands of dollars, you need to be open to change and adapting. After all, don’t our Military deserve it?

Jul 9, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for your feedback. VU is always looking to improve and we will take your comments to heart. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us wasn’t what most employees at VU experience.

4. "Best place to help you advance in your career!"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is valued and there is some freedom in what work we would like to accomplish.

Cons

Depending on which department you are in the career paths can be somewhat pigeonholed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of bring out the best in your employees!

Jun 7, 2018 – Culture Rep

We do value our training and trainers. We constantly look to see if there are better ways to train and new ways to implement ideas. Our employees bring out the best in us, thank you for your time at... More

"Loan Officer"

Pros

Lots of flexibility and ability to work remotely

Cons

Management promotes friends rather than those who are qualified

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

Jun 12, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for being part of the VU family!

6. "Great Place to Work!"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great place to start working from out of town or as a first job.

Cons

Easy to get lost in the crowd. Work Hard Play Harder... a little too hard.

May 31, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for being part of the VU family! We are constantly thinking of new ways for people to feel valued as individuals and stand out if they choose to.

7. "Good job, great people"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

I am no longer employed at VU but I have nothing bad to say about the job other than it's an indoor, office job and that's not me. They truly invest in their employees and I would recommend working there to anyone.

Cons

Cubicle job, too intense for some

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Apr 5, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for your time with us! We hope you found a position that fits you and makes you smile. Good luck with everything in the future!

"Amazing Culture and Professionalism"

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being in IT, there are often times we have to deploy something during "off" hours, so before 8 AM or after 6PM, and it is still something I look forward to even when it's early in the morning because working here is so amazing.

The people are fantastic, the culture and values here stand out right away and blow me away every single day. I look forward to coming to work, after which there are several times I will go hang out with coworkers and play games while we discuss improvements to our applications! :)

I am treated like an adult. If there is some family issue that needs to be taken care of, I am told to go take care of it no questions asked. I am trusted and respected a great deal more than any other job I've ever had.

Competitive pay and benefits definitely played a role in my decision to apply to VU, but it wasn't as big as the culture. While I was offered comparable Pay and Benefits, my overall decisions were based off of Culture and Leadership, which I continue to experience every day and I love this job even more.

Cons

I only get to spend so many hours at work, but luckily I can take my laptop home and work from home when I have an idea I want to improve on.

Really though, I can't say a bad thing about working here. It has been absolutely amazing in every way and I hope to work here for a very, very long time.

Advice to Management

Keep. It. Up.

Mar 9, 2018 – Culture Rep

Wow, thank you for the wonderful words. We wouldn’t be who we are without the awesome people, who we are lucky to have!

9. "Solid Comapny"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

- flexible schedule
    - great coworkers
    - professional and personal development opportunities

Cons

- silo-ed work environment

Mar 1, 2018 – Culture Rep

Happy to have you here! Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. Here's to a great 2018!

10. "Loan Officer"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, especially compared to industry norm. Lots of fun company outings like field day and holiday party.

Cons

High burnout and relatively high turnover rate for Loan officers. You will be asked to work weekends and after 5pm throughout the week on a normal basis. They tell you about this going into the job but I figured at some point the weekend work would die down. However, after about 2.5 years here, I was still needing to consistently work Saturdays to get leads. If you dont mind working weekends or weird hours, I highly recommend this job to you.

Feb 8, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We do work really hard to help get our Veterans into homes. We also work very hard every day to care for and support our awesome employees. We are... More