KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and company values!(in 59 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with(in 52 reviews)
  • "Of course the Monday lunches, Friday massages and the very casual dress code are some great benefits!!(in 30 reviews)
  • "Company does a good job of trying to take care of employees through different events and swag but be prepared to work.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Great pay(in 26 reviews)
Cons
  • "The training is inadequate.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Lack of flexibility to work from home long term.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Sometimes communication with upper management can be hard, but not bad.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Virtually no structure within or between departments, you will not move up in this company unless you are constantly job hunting for new positions in VU (which is fine if you're proactive, but you will not be recognized or given a promotion based solely on your work performance), favoritism is heavy, management will suggest improvement with no plan or action items for how to improve.(in 5 reviews)
  • "production salaries are lower than competition, but this IS Columbia, MO.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Veterans United Home Loans and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Best place I've ever worked!

Jul 11, 2021 - Support Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture, care for employees and flexibility. Never have I worked at a company that truly cares about their employees and embodies the values they preach more than Veterans United.

Cons

I don't have a con about VU!

Culture Rep

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback! We do our best to make this a place everyone enjoys coming to. Thank you for being part of the VU family!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that loves their people!

Jun 17, 2022 - Mortgage Loan Officer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee focused, makes being at work fun, events to look forward to and very family oriented.

Cons

Customers need assistance all hours of the day, in order to provide customer satisfaction, there is a sense of obligation to answer customer call after hours.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Zero stars wasn’t an option

May 31, 2022 - Loan Staff in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

There were none. Worst place ever.

Cons

Where to begin HR dismisses complaints —- even when comments made were illegal. Force you into a severance package so you can’t sue Allow management to curse at employees and make illegal commentary. Super cliquey They don’t care about you as a person. Unfair work standards They are not flexible. Management bullies constantly When you talk to management about solving issues they dismiss you or tell you that they will fix it and to trust them then use your words later against you. None of your information is confidential.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Representative

We are sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience during the time you worked here that you couldn’t find any pros to list. There appears to be a lot of anger, which is never what we want employees to be feeling, even when someone is leaving VU. We strive to always keep the employees’ best interests in mind even during a separation. It sounds like your experience that brought you to Glassdoor to write this must have been really hard for you. We sincerely hope you are able to move on to a more positive experience at your next place of work.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best people I know

Apr 3, 2022 - Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

This place is filled with great people that will take care of you like you are their family. The employees here are some of the best people I have ever met and they care about even after you leave the company. I have made some of my best friends here and even if you move to a different department, you can always count on them to have your back and to be there for you. They also care about the community and the veterans they serve. It might sound like a cliché thing to say, but I have spoken to loan officers, customer service reps, and even people in HR that STILL talk to the people they have helped and don't really have any other reason to speak except to catch up. This is one of the best companies I have ever worked for and was so sad to leave.

Cons

The politics here don't make much sense, like not giving workers there Juneteenth off or some of the reasons people are let go from the company. Some of the decision made by the higher ups are questionable. It's all about who you know here.

HR Representative

We appreciate your insight and for taking the time to share your thoughts. It’s wonderful to hear that you were able to make lasting and meaningful relationships with your coworkers while you worked at VU. With our programs and culture, we encourage employees and leaders to stay connected to maintain our collaborative environment. We agree on the importance of Juneteenth and DEI in the workplace, and our efforts are always led with the big picture in mind. Celebrating a day of such importance doesn’t always look the same at VU as it does at other companies and organizations, which is often by design. We work hard to create and execute effective ways to raise awareness and educate folks conducive to our unique culture. Our hope is that we are able to convey our deep commitment to DEI through our hearts, dedication, and the comprehensive efforts of our employees. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and sincerely wish you the best in your future career endeavors.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Leadership is a priority here!

May 20, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Leadership actually listens *Leadership provides challenges for growth *They are so eager to help guide their leaders and employees with development *Guard/Reservist military family benefits *Social groups for connecting *Joined a book group that changed my life (for good!) *Support for pregnant employees *so many opportunities for learning *culture is unmeasurable

Cons

Not sure that I have a con to provide

Veterans United Home Loans Response

Thanks for your honest review! We're happy to see there are so many things you enjoy about VU! We all want times of change to go smoothly, so we'll be sure to pass your feedback about transparency on to leadership.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Decent

May 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company as a whole has the right idea and has a strong mission that is important to our country.

Cons

Management and Leadership is not aligned in the production sectors which results in being treated differently based on what team you are on. Management in high stress positions should always be aligned and should be held to the same standards across the board and they are not here.

Veterans United Home Loans Response

Thank you for leaving a review! We're glad to have you contributing to our mission. We'll be sure to pass your feedback along to leadership.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Be Leery and do your research

Jun 1, 2022 - Closing Specialist, Account Manager, Wire Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule Free snacks No dress code

Cons

This is a part 2 to a previous review written on March 28,2022. When reading these reviews, be very leery of the current employee reviews that seem to pop up right after a negative review. I know a lot of people and many are unhappy that work there and everyone I know that has left there is because it is NOT the company they proclaim to be. If you are thinking about employment here, at least in the Columbia MO offices, talk to those that have worked there before and keep your eyes and ears open. I hear from and run into current and former employees weekly who are all saying the same things I have experienced. Do your homework before considering applying for a job at this company.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Representative

We tried to look back at your review from March 28 to reference but unfortunately couldn’t find any from that date. It sounds like your experience at VU was not a positive one and has brought you back to Glassdoor. We understand that everyone’s experience is unique and even two people in the same position can have different things to say about our culture and working here based on their own situations and perceptions. We’d like to echo your advice to candidates to talk to others who work at VU to get a full picture of what it’s like to actually work here before applying. While VU has won awards based on anonymous employee reviews and surveys, it’s always best to seek information from people you trust. We wish you the best in your next career.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Jun 13, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Such a great place full of uplifting people and leadership who care about you

Cons

Not many downsides from my experience

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

VU is an incredible place to work!

Jun 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is all about the people!

Cons

I have not experienced and cons at VU

10. 5.0

Love what I do!

Jan 12, 2022 - Customer Support Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I don't hate going to work anymore. VU's culture of enhancing lives extends to the employees as well as the Veterans. Without my work family (yes as a former jaded retail worker I can call my co-workers family and mean it!) I don't know what I would do at times! This company has changed my life for the better!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. My bosses give me time to get my work done efficiently and if not I can ask for help without fear of someone penalizing me for it. I don't worry every day when I come in if I am going to be fired. So nope! Love my job!

Culture Rep

We are so thrilled you feel like part of the family - we strive to build a culture of care and support throughout the company and it looks like you've found the perfect spot! We take your feedback and advice seriously and appreciate your honesty. You're right - COVID makes being together challenging, and we truly look forward to more in-person opportunities when it is safer to do so. While it is difficult to house all of VU under one roof, we invite employees to connect through Small Groups, Connect U Groups, team events, and companywide events to help foster friendships and build community. If you want to chat more, reach out to a teammate in HR or culture, we'd love to learn more!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 634 Reviews

Veterans United Home Loans Reviews FAQs

Veterans United Home Loans has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 720 reviews left anonymously by employees. 89% of employees would recommend working at Veterans United Home Loans to a friend and 89% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Veterans United Home Loans employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Veterans United Home Loans. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

89% of Veterans United Home Loans employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Veterans United Home Loans 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Veterans United Home Loans to be career development, benefits, culture and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with Veterans United Home Loans Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Veterans United Home Loans? Share Your Experiences

Veterans United Home Loans Careers

Cover image for Veterans United Home Loans

We celebrate the culture our employees create. Over 95% of Veterans United employees say their workplace is great. The passion,...More

• Join VU in St. Louis
  • Software Engineering
  • Loan Officers at VU
  • VU Foundation

Company Updates

14 days ago

Culture
Meet Josh Beck, a Client Retention Manager at Veterans United in St. Louis! We asked about his favorite Veterans United value, and why it resonates with him: "I really appreciate our focus of Enhancing Lives every day. My role as a Client Advocate is to provide the best possible support toward both the Veterans we serve and my coworkers. Having the opportunity to build that trust or make someone's day just a little bit better makes a world of a difference." 📷: Josh Beck, Client Retention Manager NMLS 1813277 #VURocks #WeAreVeteransUnited
Shared image

33 days ago

Company News
Every year, the St. Louis Business Journal's Best Places to Work program is designed to identify and highlight area companies that attract and retain top talent and have the best workplace perks. This year, there were 230 nominations and 74 finalists. We're extremely proud to say we have been recognized as #1 among their Best Places to Work 2022! #BestPlacesToWork #WeAreVeteransUnited #TeamVU
Shared image - Best Places to Work 2022: Veterans United Home Loans puts a focus on culture in creating positive workplace - St. Louis Business Journal
lnkd.in

Veterans United Home Loans Photos

+ Add Photo
Veterans United Home Loans photo of: Yoga on the lawn with the VU Wellness Team
Veterans United Home Loans photo of: Veterans United Military Advisors visit Columbia, MO
Veterans United Home Loans photo of: Summer concert series
Veterans United Home Loans photo of: Ping pong break!
Veterans United Home Loans photo of: Lunchtime cornhole tournament
Veterans United Home Loans photo of: The Veterans United St. Louis team on RED Friday
Veterans United Home Loans photo of: Group meeting at our Springfield, MO office