Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Strong culture and belief in good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Casual dress, fast pace, friendly atmosphere and fun employee events (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the negative comments I've seen are because the company is going through some growing pains (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly Amazing"

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything. I have worked in many professions for both big and small companies. I have never found a company that cares for it's employees and customers the way that VU does. From the first day I showed up to work I was welcomed as if I had been there for 10 years. They are committed to their values. Not only during work hours but even outside of work. Management has a true open door policy and they are never to busy to stop and just chat for a few moments and that includes all of the executives and owners even. I truly feel part of a family working here and every person truly cares as much about each customer and the experience we give them as we do each other.

Cons

There are no perfect companies in the world and everyone has room to grow and improve all the time. I can say without a doubt though that Veterans United is as close as you will find to it. The only negative that I would point out here would be that sometimes being a company that is spread out so much, it can make it hard to keep communication going on issues and culture can definitely be difficult to stay on top of, but they are doing a fantastic job of doing it. They constantly look for ways to improve not only for employees but for customer experience too.

Advice to Management

Brock, Brant and Nate. You guys have built something amazing here. Keep doing what you're doing and caring for people the way you do. You guys are awesome!

Mar 20, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for being a part of our VU family! We are lucky to have people like you on our team who live our values. It can be hard being so spread out, but we are actively working on some ways to get... More

2. "Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working for this company! They truly care about their employees!

Cons

None that I can think of

Sep 8, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for being a part of our VU family!

3. "Director"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been with VU for a relatively short time, but the culture and leadership is legitimately caring of the teams, and steward the culture in ways that I have seen many other companies struggle with. The people here are genuine, fun, caring, and open minded.

Cons

So far, none. Politics are minimal, and leadership listens.

Aug 17, 2017 – Culture Rep

Appreciate the kind words. We put a lot of thought into the culture at VU and we're glad it sticks out in a positive way! I'll also agree that the people here are pretty amazing.

4. "Job Review"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

great atmosphere to come to work everyday

Cons

none that come to mind right now

Aug 17, 2017 – Culture Rep

We're happy you're part of the VU family and that you enjoy being here! Thanks for the feedback.

5. "The Google of the mortgage industry!!"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about their employees. This is a none corporate environment that allows employees be who they really are. Everyone is treated with respect and the atmosphere is so awesome that you enjoy going to work everyday.

Cons

Health insurance is not great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and atmosphere that makes you such a great company to work for!!

Aug 10, 2017 – Culture Rep

Hi, thanks for the kind words! We do strive to make VU a great place for everyone to work, glad you agree! If you haven't already, please reach out to one of our HR benefit reps and see what... More

6. "Even better than I could have imagined"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

I've worked at VU for 10 months now, it's easily the best job I've ever had. The company truly cares about its employees and hard work does not go unnoticed. You won't find another company like this one.

There are tons of opportunities for growth within the company- both personal and professional.

Oh, and did I mention snacks? There are free snacks. Everywhere.

Cons

Health insurance is a tad expensive- if you're covering an entire family it may be a bit pricy (but things like competitive salary and benefits like 401k matches are going to help balance that out).

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome.

Aug 3, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the kind words. We work hard to make VU the best place to be! The great people help us stand out. The snacks help too.

7. "Loan Specialist"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- relaxed atmosphere makes you want to work harder to keep your job b/c you don't want to give it up
    - it's nice to work in a place that treats you like an adult -- do your job and do it well and you can have all the freedom you want

Cons

you do work hard, but the pros still outweigh this

Advice to Management

continue to reward employees' hard work with freedom and fun

Aug 3, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback! We encourage every employee to be themselves and give them the freedom to do so. I agree that we work hard and our hope is that everyone feels passionately about helping... More

8. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding place to work. They take care of their employees.

Cons

Occasionally, during the busy season, a lot of OT is required

Aug 3, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback!

9. "Good place"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Strong bonus structure, hard work is rewarded

Cons

Far to many metrics, easy to become a number to the company

Advice to Management

Stay true to how you started the company

Jul 27, 2017 – Culture Rep

We appreciate your time at VU! As you know we like to reward hard work with bonuses and a fun environment. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

"Solid company, doing their best."

Former Employee - Developer in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Developer in Columbia, MO

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back workplace, some cool perks like weekly lunch. People are generally great to work with. They know their line of business really well (loans, underwriting, etc.). Online/SEM marketing is top notch.

Cons

Sometimes people are not the "best" in terms of talent. Sometimes you get by with pretty mediocre work, but generally you get lots done. Not super flexible in development environment. Software engineering is not the "main" thing, just tech enabled. Loan side of business is really where its "at".

Advice to Management

Seek out the really talented individuals to fill ranks vs. warm bodies. Don't be afraid to pay them as well -- I know it might be hard to find tons in Columbia so I guess maybe pull from STL or KC?

Jun 23, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for making us a great place to work! We are very proud to hire the best talent who are also a values match. Referrals from current employees are always appreciated and we offer a... More