Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor

Veterans United Home Loans Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Pros
  • Strong culture and belief in good work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• We have flexible hours and a very casual dress code which allows me to work when it's most convenient, which is ideal as a student (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing like crazy so with that comes growing pains, constant changes, and communication issues (in 6 reviews)

• com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

3 Company Values, Be Passionate and have fun, Deliver Results with Integrity, Enhance Lives Every Day. Not much more to say. We live these values every day. We work hard and we play hard. We expect team members to pull their weight and we are rewarded nicely for it. Recognized as one of the best places to work in several surveys.

Cons

Not really any downsides. I am scarred for life and won't be able to work any place that isn't like this one. :)

Advice to Management

Keep caring about people, they are our most important asset!

Feb 1, 2016 – HR Representative

Hopefully you will never need to work anywhere else! We're glad to hear you enjoy working here so much. Thanks for being a loyal employee! #retirewithVU

2. "Passion, Culture, Compensation."

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

VU is as close to perfect as one could ever find. The people, from top to bottom, love what they do and who they help. It doesn't hurt that the company spoils its team (in a good way) across the board with great office perks and compensation.

Cons

I struggle to come up with much. Honestly, the distributed office situation can make for a bit of an annoyance at times but that's really grasping at straws.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jan 25, 2016 – HR Representative

Wow, thank you so much for the glowing review! We are glad you had such a positive experience working here and wish you all the best in your new career.

3. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company looks out for overall best interest of everyone. Lots of opportunities to learn. Strong culture and belief in good work/life balance. Work family.

Cons

Can be difficult to move up from certain positions.

Advice to Management

Keep providing opportunities for growth.

Jan 18, 2016 – HR Representative

We appreciate the positive feedback! "Work family" really is the perfect way to describe our unique culture. We really love each other and depend on each other. We will continue to find ways to help ... More

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Home Loan Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really cares about their employees. Fun and everyone really cares!

Cons

Can be stressful and busy at times

Advice to Management

Keep appreciating employees and making work fun. Culture is great!

Jan 4, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your dedication to VU for the past 3 years. If you have any further suggestions on how we can help your stress level, please reach out to HR and let ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Very caring company with some seriously cool marketing prowess - the marketing team was seriously top-notch.

Cons

The developer side of stuff was lacking. PHP + MySQL + wild west spaghetti code. I've heard its a bit better now - but if you want a cutting edge, best practice sort of workplace - this is probably not it.

Jan 5, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your positive review. We agree that our marketing team is pretty much the best. Our Software Services department has seen major changes in the past year and strives for continuous ... More

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, very laid back, no dress code, friendly people, company sponsored events are common and fun, friendly work environment, they are open to new ideas and will implement employee suggestions after a short and straightforward review process. Great pay and good benefits.

Cons

If you don't fit in well with the culture or subscribe to their values then it is not the place for you. The open work environment, while being a plus, can get loud.

Jan 5, 2016 – HR Representative

We love this review. You have summed up our work environment and culture very well! It’s true—our values are the most important part of working here, and if you don’t agree with them or have ... More

"Part Time as an Applications Developer Intern"

Current Employee - Applications Developer Intern in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Intern in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing Agile work environment
    - Learn an insane amount about different systems and development practices
    - Extremely good learning experience since VU is so focused on Pairing
    - Competitive salary
    - Awesome company events
    - Allows for part time development during the school year

Cons

- If you don't like an open floor plan for development or Paired Programming, you'd probably be uncomfortable

Nov 24, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for your positive feedback! We're glad to hear the changes we have made recently in our Software Services department have had a positive impact.

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Transparent, open atmosphere. The company values, Be passionate and have fun, Deliver results with integrity, Enhance lives every day are exhibited by many in the company. More than 98% of the company employees contribute 1% of their salary to the company non profit foundation. That foundation does incredible things for the local community and for veterans nationwide. You work hard, but it is with people that are fun.

Cons

It began as a small company. It has grown very fast, very quickly. There have been growing pains with that growth. Some in management are there because they "have been there" rather than actually being good managers.

Retirement benefits are not great. There is a $1200 match.

Advice to Management

There is a women in leadership program that seems to work well for women, but what about programs that are truly successful for other groups? I do not think the PDP program is as solid as WIL.

Nov 24, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for the positive feedback! As an employee who has been at VU for 5 years, you’ve seen a lot of change. You were there when we created the Veterans United Foundation and you have been a part ... More

10. "Great place to work."

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and benefits. Management is top quality and very attentive to input from employees. Culture and values are very important. Pay is very competitive for the area and you get the work with our Nation's Heros every day, couldn't ask for much more.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth in the company. It is a young company with young executives and management, so don't expect them to be retiring and making way for new blood any time soon.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, don't lose sight of what made this company great as we continue get bigger and bigger, maintain the values and the sky is the limit.

11. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Columbia, MO
    Current Intern - Intern in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans as an intern

Pros

The culture and people are great. A lot of training and development to help further your career. This training is more valuable then any knowledge gained during college education. They take pride in what they do and the veterans they serve. They put on a lot of events outside of work which are fun and allow you ample time to meet your coworkers.

Cons

The marketing department headquarters is not in a large city (Columbia, MO)