Vi-Jon Reviews in Smyrna, TN | Glassdoor

Smyrna, TN

2.2
Jerry Bowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great coworkers, free products, good benefits, and ext (in 4 reviews)

• Management is hard-working and definitely deserving of their titles (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor leadership and senior management (in 4 reviews)

• All upper management believes everyone should bow down when they walk in (in 3 reviews)

1. "Working in the R&D department is worth it!"

Former Intern - Research and Development Intern in Smyrna, TN
    Former Intern - Research and Development Intern in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Vi-Jon as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

If you get the opportunity to work in the R & D department, I really recommend taking advantage of it.

The R & D department is not very big since it is split between St. Louis and Smyrna. I loved my experience here though. I didn't get the usual intern experience and they let me move on to more projects that my coworkers helped with, too. It was a very beneficial opportunity because of how fantastic the department is in general. Management is hard-working and definitely deserving of their titles. Vendors come in often and bring their new products to try (and often times bring free lunch). Cake is bought for birthdays and other celebrations. Plus, the research department is just very tight knit and that makes work so much easier. Promotions are available for those who show progress. Starting pay for most positions is pretty good for the area. Tuition reimbursement is available for furthering your education. Flexible hours as long as you are there during core hours. Vacation is typical 2 weeks starting and there are 9 holidays (if I remember correctly). Attire is business casual (more of business attire when someone visits), but jeans and nice tennis shoes are allowed. I hated leaving here, but I moved out of state after graduating college.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons from working in the research department.

Advice to Management

Continue rewarding and promoting the workers who deserve it!

2. "Could be a lot better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Vi-Jon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great to work with

Cons

Upper management, clear vision but no idea of how to get there. Very clique oriented management style. Micromanagement abounds. HR is very company oriented. Training in operations is severely lacking. GMP standards are questionable.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

"Sexist, glass ceiling, poor execution"

Former Employee - Lead in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Lead in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Vi-Jon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some very passionate people, in general mgmt cares when they find out about unfairness, but they depend on whistleblowers or complaints because they are too far removed

Cons

Poor execution of good ideas
    No female senior management, females with years of dedication make less than men walking in the door, no transparency and hr has little consistency-1 person in hr will say 1 thing while another will say somethung different
    Payroll makes mistakes and blames you or makes you wait a week for it to get fixed

Advice to Management

You micro manage yet fail to understand or see what is going on right in front of you. You spend all this time on the line watching us but you dont understand what you are seeing. Pay fairly, people with no skills at 20 years makes 6 dollars more an hour than a skilled new hire. More women in management and pay them equal

4. "If you are a female........don't even apply!"

Former Employee - Manager in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Vi-Jon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free products; hardworking line workers; decent benefits;

Cons

Females are not equal; need women in leadership; pay is much lower than industry standard.

Advice to Management

HR is an absolute joke! Leadership needs to clean house in that department and start over with people who actually care to help the Associates. Ops leaders in TN are good but nobody trusts the leaders who come down from St. Louis, especially the CEO. It is sad because it has the potential to be a decent place to work if they would just realize that they need the hardworking line Associates in order to make their products!

"Horrendous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Vi-Jon full-time

Pros

Decent pay.
    People are easy to get along with.
    They are great giving vacation monthly and paid time off.
    Able to move within company as long as they see you qualified.

Cons

Management micromanages
    Human Resources is nowhere on the employee side and doesn't care.
    So many double standards.
    Used to get monthly bonuses but was recently taken away for no reason.
    Never see a supervisor for more than 2 years on average.
    All upper management believes everyone should bow down when they walk in.

Advice to Management

Quit spitting on the people that break their back that keep the place up and running. Noone likes working at this place because rules change every other day here. This own company doesn't even go by their own handbook and skip every "punishment/point system" and fire you just because. Everyone is terrified to look or say something to you bc you've fired people just for speaking their mind.

"Vijon"

Current Employee - Compounding in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Compounding in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Vi-Jon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, free products, good benefits, and ext.

Cons

Pay not competitive, different people cone in with higher pay doing same job with same or less experience, pays are so secretive and not fair, a lot of shady things going on with company being for sale and crap just not as open door as it should be, bonuses are only quarterly and at the highest 170$ but no way to track why the full payout isn't paid, supervisors not knowing the jobs their teams are doing and ext. Also the point system is crazy

Advice to Management

Have pay scales, make it where the highest paid person can be reached by their coworkers doing the same job, management needs to know how their departments operate and be able to fully understand the job because they have actually done it and understand, show more appreciation to the employees and step up on the bonuses. And raise the damn points.

"If you enjoy being treated like a dog, you will love it here."

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Vi-Jon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay isn't great but at least I do get a check every week.

Cons

Management talks to employees at the Smyrna plant like dogs. And if you don't obediently take it, like a good dog, you get in trouble. The company is making record profits but none of that makes it down to the workers. They just beat us harder to give more and more.

Advice to Management

Let your people have room to shine, we would surprise you if you would stop beating us up all the time.

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Vi-Jon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice management structure; non-union; set hours

Cons

Can be a lot of OT and weekends

"Negative experience"

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Smyrna, TN

Pros

Good FT employees that are hard working

Cons

Poor leadership and senior management

"They are sexist and cheap..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Vi-Jon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get company products for $25 allowance for free quarterly, health insurance was ok(standard), good PTO (40 hours at the beginning of the year) and vacation time if you are there after 5 years and ok vacation before 5 years. 401K match at 6% and you can get some overtime if you wish to.

Cons

They are extremely sexist. You could be there forever and be the best employee and know how to run everything but if you are a female go elsewhere if you want to get any type of leadership job they will pick a man over you with less experience no matter how good you are. It's very embarrassing who they pick to be their leaders and managers. They do a cost of living type of raise every April like 3%. The only people that make decent money are the ones that were there before it was Vijon like Cumberland Swan or Perigo. Other than that you will start off at $12 or could be less and a shift differential if you work nights that could put you at $13. Trust me if you are a Vijon hired you don't/won't make crap unless you work a lot of overtime. When raise time comes around they will find a reason not to give it to you. The managers are complete idiots, a certain somebody in a high management position has a FAKE degree from Almeady University so that tells you everything. All the qualified people have been passed up for men or favoritism. They hardly get rid of anybody for being lazy or a crappy workers. They will get rid of you if you've been there forever and start making a lot of money. I've seen people who have been there for 10-25 years get let go for something stupid reasons based on how much they make. If you are a regular person you are safe unless you have too many forklift accidents, that's the thing they are big on and your attendance.

Advice to Management

Stop being sexist when you see true potential in a individual, don't just put people in higher positions just because they are connected to someone in management. It's embarrassing.