ViSalus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Ryan Blair

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • not much unless you count some free snacks and ability to work from home sometimes (in 7 reviews)

• Was nice when I would get free product but didn't happen all the time (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The "lucky" ones who kept their jobs in the call center are treated as second class citizens (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management is disorganized, everyone is spread thin, not enough concern about the employees in the call center (in 3 reviews)

1. "Not for me"

Former Employee - Regional Director in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Evansville, IN

I worked at ViSalus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the potential to make decent money and work from home.

Cons

In order to make good money, it takes over your life and you end up pitching the waitress at Longhorn when you're with your family for dinner.

Advice to Management

You are your own boss.

2. "Independent distributor"

Former Employee - Independent Distributor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in San Jose, CA

I worked at ViSalus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a Visalus Independent distributor in 2011, 2012, and 2013. I want to say that I am a big fan of Ryan Blair and I love Visalus products. I would LIKE to recommend them more.

Cons

I would love to promote them, but found it very difficult to become successful as a distributor. I do understand that network marketing businesses are hard, but Visalus was *very* hard. After awhile, I got the feeling that they were a lot more interested in creating a glossy image of themselves, than actually listening to what distributors and consumers needed.

Their online systems sent out little signals to me and other people that they don't seem to care what consumers want, nor do they care about correcting these issues.

I've recommended Visalus products to many people, only to find out that I got absolutely no commission.... not one dime, because I wasn't on the auto ship myself (you can go broke being on autoship with a company that has so many technical and management issues it is difficult to make any sales). You'd think they could give a nice, good faith, "thanks for the referral" discount or coupon or SOMETHING, but.... nothing.

So now I just send most referrals straight to Amazon. If Visalus would have been willing to at least compensate me in a minimal way, for referrals, I could have send them hundreds of customers over the last 3 years. I've talked to many other distributors - even people who were very successful in Visalus, who dropped out and admitted they've bought the products on Amazon (seems like a shame because obviously the products are great if we want to keep on buying them).

The company I am with now, gives commission checks, for life, whether or not you are currently ordering products for the company. So I don't understand why Visalus can't do the same. I just don't have any major complaints about this other company, and I've been with them almost 3 years, so I am starting to realize, not all companies are the same. My current company seems to listen to the distributors more than Visalus ever did.

Also, the Visalus"kits" changed. They used to have a great kit called the Core Kit, it was perfect... but it's been changed so now you have to buy everthing separately (in my opinion, the current kits are something I would never buy).

I recently tried to look up some information about Visalus Neuro on the Visalus website, only to be greeted with a pop up message that asked me to enter a distributor ID, and I couldn't proceed or even browse the product until I did so. While I get that the company is trying to be loyal to the distriburors, it is clear to me that the higher-ups in this company do not actually take the time to see what it is like to be a user, going through the ordering experience themselves. If they did, they would understand that is extremely annoying to be asked for an ID before you even know if you're interested in the product at all. You will lose a person's interest immediately when you don't let them browse first. They need to get consumers interested to the point where they HAVE to have it, and THEN ask for the distributor ID.

There were a lot of other little things... when I placed an order, months ago, I did a rush shipment, only to get a pop up message saying I would be charged the same exact amount (including the rush shipment shipping charge) every single month from now on. I am not kidding. I had to actually call to get this manually fixed (I spent over half an hour, trying to get this resolved). It's impossible to fix these issues through your back office (and one of Visalus' top distributors told me she has the same issue). After about a decade, you'd think they'd have a computer system that could actually make this a non-issue, but the fact that it was not fixed, makes me feel like they were purposely just hoping that I wouldn't notice, and they could get another $20 from me every month. This is the kind of thing that seemed to happen over and over, with Visalus, and sadly, it greatly reduced my level of trust with the company, and made me question their intentions.

When I was an active distributor trying to make this business work, they had an app that I was told would help me to follow up with people. I got an android just so I could use this app... only to find out, it helps you follow up with your current customers..... not your actual LEADS (so you can get them to buy). Totally useless software. Do the people in charge not understand that we have to follow up with leads, to GET them to buy, so they can BECOME regular customers?

Warren Buffet, are you reading this? Please have a talk with the guys in charge.... pull them out of their slick BMW's for a minute and have them sit in a chair and pretend they are actually a consumer and / or distributor, who is going through the process of ordering from the company, and trying to be a successful distributor, and it will be clear why so many people have dropped out.

The fact that this is such a wealthy company (or at least, it puts a lot of effort into appearing that it is) makes it clear to me that more money was spent on maintaining Visalus' glossy image, and maybe perks for the executives, than putting together a real marketing team and focus groups that could analyze how consumers actually think. I mean, this stuff is just so BASIC, and the fact that Visalus hasn't got it figured out by now makes it clear to me that there is a problem with upper management.... it all trickles down.

I will never forget a huge meeting where Nick scolded an entire room full of distributurs, citing what the core of the problem was, when there are issues with the products. He said blatantly to all these people who joined the company (plus people who were deciding whether or not to join): "The problem is YOU." That day was a turning point for me (and not in a good direction). Being a distributor in Visalus made me feel like I was a kid in a family with arrogant parents who refused to listen to their own offspring... they ones THEY created. Like, we were all just being told, Do it This Way, or You're Doing It Wrong. You could sense a constant air of desperation and fear among sooo many of the top distributors, like they were afraid they were on the verge of losing it all.

I would love to see the current people in charge, stay in charge, because I know they work hard for the company, if they would just be willing to get humble for a day and see what it's really like from the user standpoint. I get it that Network Marketing is hard, but not all network marketing companies have to be THIS hard.

Advice to Management

Get HUMBLE. Get in the trenches. Go through the user experience and try selling the product yourself, as a normal customer, and distributor not somebody trying to maintain an impressive looking, glossy looking company. Fix the computer issues. Find out what people really want.

3. "Not sure how they are still around..."

Former Employee - Customer Support in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Troy, MI

I worked at ViSalus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. At one time, there was a free gym, personal trainers, amazing bonuses.

Cons

The layoffs that started in 2013 became more and more regular. We used to joke that everyone should clean their desks toward the end of July and get ready because you never knew who was going next. Like clock work...July 31st/August 1st the emails would start coming and you would see people with their severance packages walking out. The beginning of 2016, everything hit the fan (although we knew about layoffs before Christmas). The team shrank and shrank. Stock shortages were rampant, but they continued to charge customers for product that they wouldn't receive for months at a time. We were never allowed to say the word "backorder" to customers. Things were always "on a slight delay".
    The "Reverse Group Offers" that they had always ended up really putting people in bad financial situations and now they've started a company that sounds like it's the same platform-which will upset a lot of people really quickly. So many practices borderlined on illegal. Apparently the company has moved offices to temporary rental spaces in downtown Detroit and left a bunch of product behind.

Advice to Management

The founder who think that they are rock stars need to grow up and stop being so arrogant. Seriously, guys. You are all dads now and you need to start thinking about the future and not stealing money to stuff up your nose. Actually live the life and values that you preach to your following and start having some integrity. You're not only hurting the people that buy into your fantasies, but you're also hurting the employees that continue to be loyal to you ( although they have no reason to be). Wake Up.

4. "Excellent Work Environment"

I worked at ViSalus part-time

Pros

Great people, great office, fun open culture

Cons

Some of the top level men can seem unapproachable.

"..."

I worked at ViSalus full-time

Pros

great location and people both corp and field

Cons

high turnover and lots of drama, distrust

6. "Living the Vi-Life"

Former Employee - Manager in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at ViSalus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people and be able to share in the world wide goal of helping others lose weight and develop their health goals, all while having fun

Cons

Time, this role is very time intensive. Sometimes dealing with promoters and other departments can be challenging if not all on the same page

7. "ViLife"

Former Employee - Global Support Manager - Operations in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Global Support Manager - Operations in Troy, MI

I worked at ViSalus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Latitude to drive change, level of autonomy, cross functional collaboration, upward career opportunity, continuous improvement.

Cons

Occasional gap in comm, fickle industry.

8. "Not what it once was"

I worked at ViSalus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young, relaxed, flexible corporate atmosphere considering it's a network marketing company.

Cons

Raises, bonuses, perks basically stopped. No 401k matching. Some executives lack respect for employees.

Advice to Management

Learn from the employees who have more experience than you do.

9. "Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at ViSalus (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Disorganized, micro managed, tough industry

"Here we go again...more layoffs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ViSalus full-time

Pros

Not a bad product although needs some new ideas. Great colleagues - at least those I work closely with.

Cons

Hmmm... where to start? Multiple layoffs over the course of the past 11 months. Beginning of Sept we were all hit with a furlough - 4 day work weeks wasn't bad BUT it came with a 20% PAY CUT - that is HUGE and was totally unexpected by us staff. And the founders made promises then that this would ensure no more layoffs; we'd re-build and the goal was to be off furlough by approx 12/31/2016. Ha! They are like little spoiled bratty kids - they want everything and just take take take. It's UNREAL the amount of money spent on trivial things and over-indulgence by the founders and their FAVS. And they wonder why the company is continually losing money. Good luck trying to keep it all together with these new layoffs. You might want to think very seriously about some retention bonuses to those "lucky" ones keeping their jobs this round. Without some incentive to stay, they will be dropping like flies. Such a shame...See ya!!

Advice to Management

See above