ViXS Reviews | Glassdoor

ViXS Reviews

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great Team, great place to start a career (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Something you need to work overtime (in 2 reviews)

• the company is customer orientated, somethings you may have high pressure because of time limit of customer requirement (in 2 reviews)

1. "A Company with a lot of potential!"

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

Upper management made a lot of good decisions to bring the company to this level. I trust their ability to execute when the right opportunities come. Unfortunately there are not many in this space these days.

Cons

Morale is not as good as a couple years ago when the company was doing great. I believe it takes time to turn this around.

Advice to Management

Less micro-management. More trust on your employees.

"Very rewarding experiences working at ViXS"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A leading company in the field with awareness of environment and social conscience; very good working environment; friendly and cooperative team workers; excellent management by caring leaders; flexible working hours; good salary and compensation

Cons

Sometimes having to work around the clock to resolve an emergency situation may make you feel tedious; you may also have to occasionally adjust your working hours to a different time zone to work with people overseas

3. "Good people, challenging technology. Overall positive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

Very smart and experienced people with extensive background and knowledge of the industry.
    Opportunities to work on cutting edge technology.
    Flexible working hours.
    Great work and team environment

Cons

Work life balance is not that great.
    Spend a lot of time in the office sometimes.

4. "Great company"

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to seek knowledge and experience in advanced technologies. People are nice to each other, and the working environment is friendly, flexible working hours.

Cons

In early 2013, there was a round of layoffs, most of the negative reviews were from the engineers let go, feel sorry for them.

Advice to Management

Give more credit to the key engineers that are important for the company.

"Fast growing company"

I have been working at ViXS full-time

Pros

working with talent people, refresh with latest knowledge of technical edge, opportunities to taste different kinds of jobs, gain experiences quickly

Cons

the performance of this company is significantly affected by global economy. Employees always facing tight deadlines, stressful all the time, poor balance between life and career

"ViXS is a company where your knowledge and skills will be appreciated, and your career objective will be fulfilled."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. You can always have opportunities to work on cutting-edge technology stuff, and learn about newest knowledge in the area.
    2. The company is running efficiently. Technology can be converted into product in a short period.
    3. Working time is flexible.
    4. Salary is good.
    5. Working environment is very friendly.

Cons

Sometimes when the project is approaching the customer deadline, some over time working will be needed. You will need to work late and sometimes come to work on weekends.

7. "Looking forward to its booming!"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has very friendly environment and flexible work hours. There are always new projects which provide engineers more challenges and opportunities of learning. It has supportive and discerning supervisors and lots of enthusiastic engineers. Hardworking is always rewarded here.

Cons

The company needs more featured products. It now manages to keep leading not only in techniques but also in marketing.

Advice to Management

The management needs to be more determined sometimes. Though brilliant ideas are always needed, sticking on selected projects and resisting from the temptation of easy success are also necessary. Otherwise, hardworking from engineers may not always bring good harvests.

"Management is very focused and smart"

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They focus on squeezing every bit out of their employees. They are smart to layoff no more than 50 employees at a time to avoid announcing publicly. They are so good in making themselves to believe in their own lies and forcing the employees to support them. They have the guts to ask employees to write positive reviews here. Shameless.

Cons

All cons from the previous reviews are very true. Positive reviews are written either by forced employees or senior management themselves.

Advice to Management

Speechless. Hopeless.

"horrible company. conning customers, employees and investors"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they paid the salary on time, that is about the only positive thing I can say, and that is only because of the 20 word minimum required

Cons

the management is worried only about its survival, and I believe people who wrote that the last positive reviews were fake, as suddenly there is a ton of extremely positive reviews about it in a very short time. The company is a mess. The execution is terrible, the chips don't work and there are full of bugs. The last chip was delayed by almost 2 years, and I'm sure it's full of bugs as the previous. Their marketing is shamelessly telling stories to customers, the management doesn't involve employees in anything, people are working on projects without knowing anything about them. Sally Daub barely shows up to work, and no one ever sees here there. The management in Vixs reminds the lords in ancient England while the employees are the peasants. They layoff people very easily and hire people for low salaries, or non at all, telling them it's a trial period when they have no intention of keeping them after the trial period.
    When they were close to running out of cash a year ago, they laid off as many employees as they could and went on an IPO, telling nice stories to investment companies about the company outlook, when actually customers were leaving them, and the whole thing they did was try and keep the existing customers, which most were very unsatisfied at the time I used to work there. The company has no methodologies, no documentation, no order, and they are busy putting out fires all the time, and that is why they work their employees so hard because of all the crisis's they have.
    When I started working there I couldn't believe that a company can last so many years the way they are working, but I thought that there may be something I don't understand, but after a while there I realized that all they do is just find new suckers every time that put money into the company, and all that matters to the senior management is to keep the company alive so that they could suck more high salaries from it as long as they can.
    If I was an investor in the company I would run away with my money as far as possible, Vixs is a definite short, it has no long term plan, it's just shooting in all direction hoping to hit something when it's way out of its league, and therefor will always lose on all fronts.

Advice to Management

nothing will help, because the management doesn't really care, they just want to keep the company live as long as possible

"Troubled company with no leadership"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ViXS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are friendly and smart. There is a lot of good technology in software and hardware.

Cons

Where to begin. We lost a lot of friends and smart people during last few years because of layoffs. The company could not sell because it decided to concentrate on shrinking high-end markets. The company had to go public to bring in cash, and stock price has stagnant since then.

Then VP's, achitects, CFO and other key people quit. We were over 300 people to now just 100. We do not have enough talent or people to make another product. The pay here is below average - read other reviews here.

Mean while last financial report shows that the executives are giving themselves more salary and bonuses - see what our CEO got last year because they can not hide in financial report. See what other executives got. Why do they get huge bonuses and pay when our company is doing so bad and have to do lay offs?

The morale is terrible but the executives do not know or do not care to find out about it.

Advice to Management

Wake up before it is too late but I'm afraid it is already too late. CEO, stop taking your pet dog to work and letting it run around the office. It is not your play ground.