ViaSat Reviews in Duluth, GA | Glassdoor

ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg
Mark D. Dankberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some government projects command long hours (in 12 reviews)

• Pay wasn't the best, even considering the lower cost of living in Phoenix as opposed to California (in 6 reviews)

1. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Duluth, GA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, great healthcare benefits. Great team, excellent facilities on campus. Adding words because this will get me the requisite 20.

Cons

Difficult to advance, it is possible, but not trivial. Not much downside, corporate HQ is in California and company is shifting to a more service centric business, which can be a liability in antenna systems.

2. "Configuration Administrator Duluth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offer great employee incentives. Use employee skills on areas most efficient.

Cons

Really don't have too much to add here. Great company to work for.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very experience and talented workforce, company is going in good direction. Great benefits, good work life balance and career advancement opportunities.

Cons

Need to be vigilant on project timelines, management can do better by keeping employees informed all the time on project status. Sometimes people need to seek projects by themselves.

Advice to Management

Working towards a better strategy for workforce management and project assignments could help reduce employee efforts to seeking out ad-hoc projects within company.

ViaSat Response

Jul 25, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your suggestion around project assignments. This is an area we will look into further to see what can be done

"Big company and getting bigger......with all the benefits and trappings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

Pros

First off, I have to say that my overall experience working for ViaSat was positive. I gained a ton of experience and new skills. I was generally well-treated. When I made a mistake, they let me know about it but gave me the opportunity to learn from it and become a better employee. It's really a great place to work if you're the right type of person and you can continually validate your importance and value to the company.

Excellent pay.....on par with peers in California mother-ship.
    Casual work environment with mostly great people (there's always a few that don't play well).
    Flexible work schedule as long as you get your work done.
    Room for advancement IF you're the right type of person.
    Technically challenging work.....not your typical product or challenges.
    Probably some of the best benefits in the country (again a byproduct of being a California-based company).
    It's truly a great company and you can succeed there if you are good at "playing the game".

Cons

These are just a few things I've noticed over the years. I truly don't mean to come off as a disgruntled former employee. These are just things that someone considering this company should know about upfront and be able to wrap their heads around. These cons are probably no different than any other company of equal size so please don't think I'm picking on this organization unduly.

As the title says, it's a big company that's getting bigger...and with that all the political and bureaucratic trappings that go along with it. It's getting harder and harder to feel like you accomplish anything there due to all the procedures, processes and politics that seem to be a requirement in a large company.

As with any company this size, there's office politics involved. If you're an engineer, you're especially susceptible. If you want to stay technical and not move into any kind of management, you'll eventually be shown the door simply due to the fact that as your salary grows, so does the bulls-eye on your back when cost-cutting is necessitated.

If you're a young person especially straight out of school, you're golden because they can mold you and convert you to their way of thinking more easily; but more importantly, you're cheap. If you're an experienced person, you better be an expert or guru in something in order to be valued. Even then, you're longevity is not guaranteed. They don't think twice about letting someone go who has 35+ years with the company and still contribute. I've seen it done on more than one occasion. They definitely would rather take on more risk with younger, cheaper personnel than less risk with older, more experienced personnel.

If you're someone who doesn't "play the game" of politics well, isn't good at managing up the food chain as well as down, truly tries to do the right thing but has the propensity to be perceived as a "pot stirrer", speaks his/her mind without regard to political perceptions (even if you're right), then this is NOT the place for you.

At least in some disciplines, they do tend to design by the seat of their pants, putting only the minimal amount of engineering diligence into product design as they can. This is great for the financials and anyone can understand that but it leaves the product open to failure and liability.

Management in general seems to always say all the right things in a public environment but behind closed doors, it is perceived to be a different story. One of the latest mantras was "It's OK to fail but fail quickly and move on". Everyone had a really hard time believing that because too many times a failure led to a reassignment, downgrade or outright termination.

Advice to Management

Utilize and listen to your experienced technical staff and don't always go for the low-hanging fruit of the young, cheap resource. Young people are great. They bring new ideas and new approaches to the table; however, they tend to experience the same failures and pitfalls that have already been addressed by older folks. You end up repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Encourage open discussion without the fear of political retribution. Abolish the unspoken hierarchy of political wranglings and kingdom building. Just treat everyone equally and with respect. Recognize those who truly do great work.

5. "Engineering Intern - Good Experience"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Duluth, GA
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Duluth, GA

I worked at ViaSat as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, some flexibility in daily hours (based around "core" hours in middle of day), lots of opportunities to learn about the company and the related career disciplines, and lots of fun company-related events

Cons

None that I can really think of, it was a great internship experience and I learned more than I expected

Advice to Management

The only thing I can think to suggest is make sure that new hires know that questions are welcomed. It took me a little while to realize this, although this may have been my fault. Overall, everything was great! Keep doing what you are doing!

"Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

Pros

Honestly one of the best companies you could work for. AMAZING BENEFITS. It's very hands on and no day is ever the same.

Cons

It's difficult to advance given the structure of the organization. There is almost no training so you learn as you go.

Advice to Management

Spend more time figuring out how to train new employees. As more new grads are hired, you are going to have to create better development plans to keep them interested.

ViaSat Response

Jan 4, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your HR Business Partner would be a great person to reach out to about learning and growth opportunities, including classes that are held at the... More

7. "Electrical Tech"

Current Employee - Electrical Technician in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Electrical Technician in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. And balance of work and family

Cons

Hard to move up in the company

"Seriously Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some really great people in a nice environment.

Cons

Management is seriously toxic and dishonest. Don't believe anything they tell you. Even people doing good work live in fear for their jobs. Don't get comfortable there or you could be in for an ugly surprise. This negates all the potential positives of the place.

Advice to Management

They don't listen so why try to help them.

"Engineer & Technology Oriented Company"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff/Lead Antenna & Microwave Engineer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are the kind of person that wants to work on cutting edge technology and contribute, this is the best company for you. Compensation & bonus are generous. Health insurance is top notch. ViaSat has unlimited sick days, this shows how much ViaSat trusts their employees in not abusing sick days. I am a through and through technologist and ViaSat, Antenna Systems has been very satisfying to work for. I asked them for $1.5M+ research fund, right after I started working for AS, to develop new technology, and they put their faith in a new employee like me to develop it and their trust in me made me work hard and deliver results. I really think this company has a great future, as long as Mark is at the helm.

Cons

ViaSat being a big company has a bit more red tape than I am used to, but understandable as ViaSat is a big company that deals with government contracts. I came from a very small company, where I wore different hats as the situation demanded, but here I feel a bit restricted. But then again I am NOT working 60+ hours like I did in my previous employment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, not much needs changed.

10. "Overall Good Company"

Former Intern - Intern in Duluth, GA
    Former Intern - Intern in Duluth, GA

I worked at ViaSat as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

fun environment, everyone was helpful and encouraged you to learn new things

Cons

Duluth isn't the most exciting location