ViaSat Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ViaSat Chairman and CEO Mark D. Dankberg
Mark D. Dankberg

Pros
  • The people are outstanding and there is a good work life balance throughout the company's culture (in 25 reviews)

• ViaSat has a wonderful work environment with many employee benefits and events (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Some government projects command long hours (in 11 reviews)

• Middle management mired in politics and nepotism is rampant (in 8 reviews)

1. "Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, great Carlsbad campus and passionate employees and leaders. There are fire drills just like at any company but everything else about this company makes up for it. The people are their most important asset and leadership understands that.

Cons

Occasional growing pains... but that's a good problem to have. Just like any large company there could always better communication across the functions.

"Great, progressive company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ViaSat is still run by its original founders, so the drive for excellence doesn't come from the bottom line (although of course that's still important) but from a genuine desire to disrupt the industry and do really cool stuff. ViaSat is a good place for people who don't like very hierarchical management structures; it's the kind of company where titles mean less than what you're doing. You may start doing 'A' and end up doing 'B' just a few months later, and a few years down the line you may be doing something new entirely. That's because ViaSat fosters a culture where you're encourage to pursue your interests and passions.

Cons

'Flat' management structure can sometimes mean a lot of ambiguity on projects and a lot of cooks in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Even in our loose corporate structure, sometimes decisions need to be made by someone with the most authority. Work to ensure those people are in place and empowered to step in when projects are in disarray.

Apr 16, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you so much for your candid feedback. It seems like you really “get us” and share our cultural values. Thanks for being such a valued member of the ViaSat team!

3. "Opportunities for mastery and purpose, but very little autonomy"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great workspace amenities and infrastructure
    Flexibility in work conditions, good benefits
    Advanced technology and state of the art products, motivating projects

Cons

Lack of common goals to foster collaboration between departments
    Most decisions centralized at Carlsbad headquarters makes it heavy for remote sites, and limits opportunities for promotion
    Lack of recognition and very uneven workload

Advice to Management

As the company continues to grow, the centralized organization is less and less efficient, and increases the disconnect between local, agile program teams, and the support functions. The great work environment cannot overcome the need for better management skills and communication.

Apr 16, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We are truly committed to listening to employee feedback and making the changes we need to make to ensure employees can chart a path to an exceptional career no matter ... More

5. "Coordinate interviews and assist recruiters with sourcing needs."

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Boise, ID

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with, the flexibility I have as I was given the ability to work from home. Also, the fast pace work environment keeps me in my toes!

Cons

Challenging to learn the ways of our organization but once you do you realize what a great place ViaSat is to work at! Must be flexible and able to adjust to the ever changing nature of our industry. ViaSat is always striving to improve their products and our processes.

Apr 16, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for sharing your love of ViaSat with us! We are so grateful to have you as a brand ambassador. We can tell that you share in our hunger for overcoming challenges and embracing ambiguity. We ... More

6. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in a collaborative environment with great team members. Everyone is treated fairly and most leaders are open to hearing new ways of doing things. Flexible in some roles to allow work from home/remote activities.

Cons

Our all hands meetings are not exciting. We miss opportunities to include employees more in what is going on around ViaSat. A spotlight on employees - acknowledgement of anniversaries or project win teams - something more to engage employees in this area.

Apr 16, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We have taken note of your suggestions and are looking to incorporate more recognition of the amazing work that is happening throughout ViaSat ... More

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, supportive team members, tons of room for upward mobility, free on site gym membership to Crunch Fitness...It does not get any better.

Cons

No cons. If I had to think of one thing, it would be that living in San Diego can get rather expensive but ViaSat takes that into consideration best they can.

Feb 27, 2017 – Company Representative

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review and for everything you bring to our team.

8. "Facilities Maintenance Mechanic"

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits packages, amazing chain of command

Cons

No cons at this point in time.

9. "Great Place To Be"

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a high tech company, this is one that flies below the radar. The company culture is emblematic of San Diego. Very casual atmosphere accompanied with sharp technical know how. The sand volleyball and basketball courts do get used during the week. They're not just for show. A big emphasis on collaboration and team work. The company is over 30 years old and still being led by the founders (which is awesome). They still put an emphasis on employee work experience.

Cons

Viasat operates within a matrix environment, so it maybe confusing to some. This is typical when it come to an engineering focused company.

Advice to Management

Keep moving fwd and doing what you do.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Bryan, TX
    Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Bryan, TX

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best company I've ever worked for. Reading these negative reviews I don't see much of that here at the TX location. The benefits are fantastic, management is fine, and oboarding is easy. I should know, I'm the one who handles onboarding here.

Cons

I have no cons. I only see some of the same clashes of character that you see everywhere else, but better here because there is a culture of professionalism.

Feb 1, 2017 – Company Representative

Thanks so much for the review! Your high praise means a lot to us and knowing that we have such a great ambassador for ViaSat helping to onboard our new employees is fantastic.

"Company will take your heart and soul"

Former Employee - Accountant in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some fantastic people on personal side of things and some very bright folks. If you can find the right department to work for, can be great place.

Cons

Weight of the world placed on people day after day. Unprofessional communication by management. Frequent firings and lay offs. This is a cut throat public company, don't let the image of what they are trying to convey fool you. Very few are able to play basketball or bike ride at lunch despite what they tell you. It's a full grind.

Advice to Management

Needs to remove some managers or provide some training and or therapy for their lack of people skills. Understaffed in most departments which offers little work balance life.