ViaSat Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some government projects command long hours (in 12 reviews)

• That said, company is all for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place To Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a high tech company, this is one that flies below the radar. The company culture is emblematic of San Diego. Very casual atmosphere accompanied with sharp technical know how. The sand volleyball and basketball courts do get used during the week. They're not just for show. A big emphasis on collaboration and team work. The company is over 30 years old and still being led by the founders (which is awesome). They still put an emphasis on employee work experience.

Cons

Viasat operates within a matrix environment, so it maybe confusing to some. This is typical when it come to an engineering focused company.

Advice to Management

Keep moving fwd and doing what you do.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Bryan, TX
    Current Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Bryan, TX

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best company I've ever worked for. Reading these negative reviews I don't see much of that here at the TX location. The benefits are fantastic, management is fine, and oboarding is easy. I should know, I'm the one who handles onboarding here.

Cons

I have no cons. I only see some of the same clashes of character that you see everywhere else, but better here because there is a culture of professionalism.

Feb 1, 2017 – Company Representative

Thanks so much for the review! Your high praise means a lot to us and knowing that we have such a great ambassador for ViaSat helping to onboard our new employees is fantastic.

"Company will take your heart and soul"

Former Employee - Accountant in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some fantastic people on personal side of things and some very bright folks. If you can find the right department to work for, can be great place.

Cons

Weight of the world placed on people day after day. Unprofessional communication by management. Frequent firings and lay offs. This is a cut throat public company, don't let the image of what they are trying to convey fool you. Very few are able to play basketball or bike ride at lunch despite what they tell you. It's a full grind.

Advice to Management

Needs to remove some managers or provide some training and or therapy for their lack of people skills. Understaffed in most departments which offers little work balance life.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very dynamic and fast pace, great culture, family oriented company, always trying to keep employees happy

Cons

No formal organizational structure communicated company wide, sometimes makes it difficult for communication and accountability

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have an organization chart to better understand different groups and corresponding leaders

Feb 1, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking a moment to write a review for us. We are in fact working on a few tools that should help all of us find who we're looking for. In the meantime, if you have a question your... More

"Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a growing company

Cons

If you want to get ahead you need to be at HQ

"Applications Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ViaSat (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great flexibility in work schedule; numerous opportunities in diverse fields; benefits and compensation a definite plus!

Cons

At times, very fast paced and challenging to keep up!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Aftermarket Support Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Aftermarket Support Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time

Pros

opportunity to take on projects you're interested in. The management doesn't try to dictate or micromanage your schedule. Not to mention the friendly co-workers, good benefits, and spacious work environment. Overall loved working at ViaSat!

Cons

low pay compared to similar companies in the area

Feb 1, 2017 – Company Representative

Thanks for the feedback and for sharing your "love" of ViaSat. In terms of compensation, we keep a close watch on market trends to ensure that every employee's compensation remains competitive. If... More

"DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU WORK IN SUPPLY CHAIN"

Current Employee - Buyer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at ViaSat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

amazing benefits- health, gym, casual dress

Cons

Every single new hire that starts in supply chain gets bait-and-switched. You will interview for a job you think you are applying for and then after you've accepted an offer and started you start doing a completely different job under a completely different manager than you interviewed with. This has happen to every single new hire in the last 6 months. They don't believe in performance reviews, measurements, or metrics so you never know how you are doing or what you are measured to. Everyone on the supply chain team is severely overworked, undervalued, and under appreciated. The supply chain group has the worst reputation throughout the entire company because it it so dysfunctional. If you are on any other team at ViaSat- Program Management, Engineer, HR, etc. you will be fine, but do not under any circumstances come to this company to work in operations or supply chain.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees and new hires like they are completely disposable. Stop bait and switching them into thinking there is career development, career advancement, or even the slightest possibility of a promotion. Learn how to develop, teach and grow your team. Everyone on the supply chain team is extremely unhappy and the entire group is crumbling from within. Learn how to develop high performers and employees with potential otherwise you're going to only be left with the supply chain employees who watch videos and tv at work all day.

Feb 1, 2017 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The description above is obviously really concerning and something we need to look into right away. If you could reach out to someone on the... More

"Strong engineering culture - weak sales culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a good depth and breadth of engineering capabilities across several communication technologies. Relaxed culture and environment.

Cons

This is an engineering driven company, following the premise of "if you build it, they will come". They don't understand the need and differences for marketing, sales, or business development. Constant pressure to meet Wall St quarterly expectations.

Advice to Management

Stop fearing org charts. Employees benefit from understanding structure, relationships, responsibilities, and accountability.

"Pick the right team to work with"

Former Employee - Program/Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Program/Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at ViaSat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent C level management, Flexible work environment, Good office and work environment, A lot of nice and knowledgeable people, competitive salary.

Cons

Very tight in giving out RSUs to lower level employees - much lower than average SD companies. Poor middle management who have been promoted because of their technical talent but lack leadership and basic management skills. Heterogeneous culture and values, such as big contrast between Denver and Carlsbad offices. Denver office is entangled in their hierarchical, and process oriented culture as oppose to Carlsbad. The same level employee who has 3 layers to top management in CLBD may have as many as 6 layers in Denver. Your advancement is hit and miss and highly dependent on who your boss maybe.

Advice to Management

Improve middle management. Work on integration of values and culture across multiple biz units. Build a culture of effective project execution by streamlining process across company biz units. Help employees build a career to look forward to.