ViaWest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Nancy Phillips

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people to work with - very dedicated to providing top notch service to customers (in 4 reviews)

• Great company with a lot of side perks such as Breakfast Club and Yippee Committee (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They're is a bit of growing pains because of migrations that don't seemed well planned out (in 4 reviews)

• Pay in the data center customer support department is below industry average, I believe (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sr. Account Executive"

Pros

Great team, benefits and solutions offered

Cons

Company was sold and everything got mixed up and we lost direction

Advice to Management

Do what you do best and remember what got you there.

2. "Business Development Rep"

Pros

Beautiful office, lots of employee perks, customer focus

Cons

salary and commission; no flexibility with schedule

3. "Data Center Technician"

Current Employee - Data Center Technician
    Current Employee - Data Center Technician

I have been working at ViaWest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Great Culture +Friendly Coworkers +Attentive Supervisors

Cons

Pay is slightly below market rate

"Great Company"

I worked at ViaWest full-time

Pros

Sales Compensation plan is good. Great people.

Cons

I didn't put alot of pro's because, well, most people want to hear the cons. In this case, the Con's aren't lengthy.

First off, when you have high performers working in the same office as new reps, you've really got to spread the wealth. I get that those high performers have earned their keep so to speak, but if they retire or leave, you really haven't shored up a bench to fill the gaps. If you join any office of ViaWest, expect to be given the crappiest accounts and be expected to grow that. Well, my thought is if you're willing to give them up, they aren't growing and god forbid they're probably near chrun status. Focus on new business development. That's your only way of selling.

Acquisition integration and process: This is probably the biggest downfall I experience here. There are too many legacy cloud services and then add in the acquisiton of INETu and now them being acquired by Peak 10 they have problems here because Sales people don't know what to sell, how to sell it and whether or not its valid. They've done a poor job of managing legacy cloud systems, technology decisions were short sighted which shows lack of focus and expertise in this area. Sometimes REALLY smart technical guys don't make good executives and it shows here. The processes are generally OK, but the proliferation of spreadsheets and word documents is huge. There were some poor choices on internal systems that basically "Nuked" them back to 2005. Im surprised nobody got fired for that...but thats neither here nor there.

The product team is essentially one person in Allentown. Not to diminish any one person, but she's entirely overworked and its evident. There should be at least 2-3 people. The good news is integrating with Peak10 will probably fix this problem.

Amazon: Reselling amazon is just a mistake. Plain and simple.

Sales leadership: There's no nice way to put this, but sales leadership is hollow and self serving. I'm not going to drag someone through the mud, but if you expect your Regional leaders to roll up their sleeves you better do the same. Be engaging and genuine. Also, focus your time on developing sales people rather than just spending your time with the one's who you know are going to upsell their customers. On that note, figure out a business development plan. You can't pat yourself on the back with 80-90% of your quarterly numbers coming from the base. That spigot will dry up if you don't get the new logo acquisition machine going. Lastly, I think mandating that people cant take vacation is illegal.

Advice to Management

Good luck with Peak10, its a shame that this stalwart Colorado company

5. "Still a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ViaWest full-time

Pros

Growth, promote from within culture, will hire entry level and train.

Cons

Growing pains. Won't spend money unless forced too. Pay is not the strong point

Advice to Management

Pay is not keeping up with cost of living.

6. "Finally"

Current Employee - Data Center in Chaska, MN
    Current Employee - Data Center in Chaska, MN

I have been working at ViaWest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not just a number, Lots of advancement oppertunities

Cons

Some travel, not much though

7. "A Job You Can Feel Good About"

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at ViaWest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance, Pay, Benefits, Culture, Locations, Co-Workers....... I can't think of what is not good about this company. Coming from companies that genuinely do not care about their employees and are only about production and profit numbers, I can tell you this is a breath of fresh air. I have the ability to speak with the CEO if I need to, in fact, we actually see her all of the time. That is not common at big corporations, they don't mingle with the people below them. They have a realistic outlook on the company and that is everyone has the potential to contribute and make this company bigger and better, so they listen. That is what is important. They believe in their employees and that is all I can ask for.

Cons

I have no complaints about ViaWest.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, there is a reason we have won Best Place To Work so many years in a row....

8. "Great Culture"

I have been working at ViaWest full-time

Pros

The Digital Platform Group (DPG) at ViaWest is an amazing team with a lot of top notch talent. The culture of DPG is the type of environment dreams are made of. The leadership in this group provides authenticity, clear direction, genuine concern for the whole person (not just the 9-5 working side), and a continual challenge to take things to the next level. All of this contributes to the ability, drive, and success the team has in Getting Stuff Done!

Cons

There are a few folks who are a bit stuck in the legacy way of doing things, but I think that is found in almost any work environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to prioritize permeating the culture throughout the company.

9. "ViaWest is the place to work!"

I have been working at ViaWest full-time

Pros

The culture at this company, specifically within DPG (Digital Platform Group), is hands down the best environment to surround yourself. The people care about you as a whole and also encourage you to reach that one step further. It is a genuine atmosphere that continues to inspire and motivate all. The energy surrounding this group of people is contagious! The benefits to this company are nothing short of wonderfully amazing! If you like being on the frontend of technology and also care about people and the environment in which you surround yourself, seriously give ViaWest consideration, you won't regret it!

Cons

You run into the occasional, "this is how we've always done it so it will continue to be this way" mentality, but that is not a very big number.

Advice to Management

To continue to care for the people who work for you, it makes all the difference!

10. "Poor Direction"

I worked at ViaWest full-time

Pros

Great onboarding
    Management team is friendly
    Lots of free food

Cons

Expectations are not clear
    Management team does not have your back despite touting it
    Executives making "land grabs" to own different areas - no clear direction
    Be careful of a manager who offers praise and appreciation, likely doesn't mean anything.

Advice to Management

Define department responsibilities to avoid "land grabs"
    Clearly set expectations