Viacom Media Networks Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Viacom Media Networks President and CEO, Viacom Philippe P. Dauman
Philippe P. Dauman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance, summer Fridays, insane amount of PTO, lots of perks and great health benefits (in 39 reviews)

• The company atmosphere is lighthearted and laid back (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance wasn't great, but it was manageable (in 16 reviews)

• long long hours can be draining (in 21 reviews)

1. "MTV Networks - Atom.com is great!"

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Its a relaxed work environment with a young, energetic and funny group of people working there. Everyone is very dedicated to their work and no one puts in any less than their full effort. There is good support within the company and a friendly relationship between departments.

Cons

I am the only intern on my floor. While I have a great working and friendly relationship with my co-workers, I have no social opportunities to meet other interns.

Advice to Management

For their internship program, 1. allow interns to choose not to accept credit. (for legal purposes pay them $1, or something similar) This issue almost prevented me from working this summer, and 2. hold intern-only events so that we can network and keep in contact throughout the summer even if we are in different departments.

2. "Internship"

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

you learn a ton about the industry!

Cons

If you are a fall intern there is way too much down time. Pitches to airing happens winter though summer so the fall can be very boring.

3. "A Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks as an intern

Pros

I loved Viacom! It's really the most fun I've had at an internship. My bosses and HR were really interested in me furthering my career interests, especially in the company, and were really supportive. The dress code is casual, which speaks about much of the company -- however, there is still an office culture, so don't forget it! Everyone is open to fun -- they host Thursday Happy Hours, Trivia Games (complete with a keg and wings), and always have fun events for you to go to with the inter-company groups like Thursday Thinkers and Somos for Latino/a employees. There's always something interesting happening!

Cons

As an intern, the work I got was not really part of my job title. I didn't get a lot of work, which sounds great, but it's not -- I was bored and couldn't do homework, so I'd end up surfing online for awhile pretending to do work that I wasn't assigned.

4. "Viacom Summer Internship"

Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

- great company culture
    - lots of fun intern events

Cons

- a little disorganized
    - could offer more career help

5. "It was great."

Current Employee - Intern

Pros

The people and the environment

Cons

It is not always busy, sometimes boring.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed the internship program.

"I love and enjoy working for MTV but I just wish there was more room for mobility within the company."

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

It is a great place for people to work if they are young and interested in the entertainment industry.

Cons

The company lacks mobility within the company.

Advice to Management

I think most of the leadership at MTV is great and you guys should try to work harder to promote within.

7. "Great People, Good time"

Current Employee - Development Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Development Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

I've had a few entertainment industry internships before MTV, and I have enjoyed my time here. There is plenty of respect between employees, and office camaraderie is evident. As an intern, I am encouraged to ask questions and be proactive. Primarily, I read scripts, watch cuts, and carry out basic administrative tasks.

Cons

Some of the promises made during the interview process and early days of the internship have not been followed up.

Advice to Management

You can totally expect more out of the interns - we're here to work. It would be nice to sit in on more interesting meetings.

8. "Great way to dip your toes into media"

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Internships are paid, which is hard to come by in media
    - The HR department makes a huge effort to engage with interns throughout the semester and provide opportunities to help interns prepare for the job search
    - Supervisors tend to be young and very friendly
    - A diverse array of networks and departments you can be placed in

Cons

- Depending on your department/network, there may be significant limits to what you're actually allowed to work on or observe. This wasn't the case for me, but some of my peers have expressed these frustrations in their own departments

9. "Dream Internship"

Current Employee - Intern

Pros

Mtv was so cool. We got to wear whatever classyish casual outift we wanted to. Every few weeks we would be excused from our duties for an hour to listen to a band. Celebrities were constantly dropping by for meetings. And you're working for a cool, hip, young network that actually can influence a generation.

Cons

For me the worst part was the Los Angeles Traffic- hello, 2 hour commute. But other than that as an intern you must obviously do all of the less than desired work load such as moving / packing boxes, organizing and mail duties--but none the less i loved the job

Advice to Management

As an intern my manager was one person, my supervisor, and he did a fantastic job. As for the rest of the management i feel i had no insight for feedback.

10. "Generally nice coworkers but little mobility"

Current Intern - MTV Networks Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - MTV Networks Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, hip and modern work place with a young demographic. Dress is casual and people seem interested in meeting others. Easy to be hired as an intern.

Cons

Little mobility within the company and limited benefits turn me off from this company. The atmosphere, while fun, can seem a bit unprofessional at times.