Viacom Media Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Viacom Media Networks Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits and work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• The company atmosphere is lighthearted and laid back (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance wasn't great, but it was manageable (in 15 reviews)

• long long hours can be draining (in 19 reviews)

1. "Nice Environment & People"

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. Great bunch. Creative. Energetic. Professional.
    Free lunches on occassion.

Cons

Not really personal. Just that TV is changing and people had to be let go. Sad to see.

Would be nice if they could hire more people rather than Permalance.

Advice to Management

Hang in there.

2. "Production Coordinator"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom Media Networks (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment, for permalance employees overtime was always offered,

Cons

Hard to become a salaried employee vs freelance and as a freelance employee, you aren't entitled to company benefits. paid leave, or vacation time

Advice to Management

Job security would add to a more energized and motivated environemnt

3. "Underpay for everyone"

Pros

Lots of fun benefits that you are shamed for taking too much advantage of.

Cons

Underpaid, they protect their top dogs not the workers below.

Advice to Management

Listen to the great ideas of the people below you. Pay them and promote them when they deserve it. Encourage the creatives to be creative. They are your greatest resource.

5. "invest in the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks (More than a year)

Pros

the benefits are nice for an entertainment company

Cons

don't invest in young talent & employees

6. "Loved this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom Media Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company matched 401k, great benefit options, good pay, awesome culture.

Cons

Work/life balance wasn't great, but it was manageable. There was some favoritism within teams.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to work remotely from time to time.

7. "Great experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Viacom Media Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team! They were all very welcoming and the more time I spent interning, the more stuff I got to do. I was also able to help out at events. It was a great internship to get my foot in the door in the entertainment business and I would definitely want to work here in the future. So many great perks too! The intern program is great with seminars and forums.

Cons

The only con is that some interns only work a couple days of the week in the summer which means you don't necessarily get to do much while you're there.

8. "Meh or whatever"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Viacom Media Networks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some cool, solid people in upper management, and worked with some large musical acts and celebs if your into that sort of thing. Fun wrap parties. Not a bad place for an internship or if you're fresh out of college.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours. During production, sleeping at the office was not unheard of. Overtime you were never paid for. The way they get around this is they quote you a lower 8 hour day rate and then automatically add 4 hours of "overtime" to your timesheet each day so you actually end up getting paid what you should for an 8 hour day without overtime. On top of that, you actually work way more than 12 hours a day, but mention that to the PM or PC and you'll be out of work. That's the gig. They've been sued for this before, but they just keep doing it because, well, they can.

Also, many coworkers skew younger, so the immaturity and millennial-ness of some coworkers may be obnoxious to some. Just a heads up.

9. "don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Ad Sales- Client Service Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ad Sales- Client Service Representative in New York, NY

Pros

the amount of days you can take off.

Cons

The favoritism within my department was just down right WRONG & I noticed it from day one.
    The upper management is terrible. They do not have a clue. They give absolutely NO guidance, NO training and expect you to understand everything like you've been there for 5 years. We literally just rotated sitting at one of our co workers desk while they were trying to meet deadlines and get their own work done. This is a terrible way to teach someone - everyone has their own way of doing something so it was all just confusing. God forbid you ask a question or make a mistake they will look at you like your actually stupid.
    One of the VPs who I unfortunately had to deal with was cruel to the people he did not like- he did not care what so ever about anyone else outside of his team & he also made it blatenly obvious if he did not like someone on his team. This guy would literally made fun of people like a six year old and the things he said were actually hurtful & mean.
    Good luck... Seriously though good luck trying to get a promotion if you're not liked because you're not part of the inner circle. AND even if you have been there for over two years and are one of the hardest workers they WILL give it to someone else who just graduated out of college only six months into the job. Only because they like their personality better. It's mind boggling. Really, it is. Just so unprofessional. You have to do some real kissing up to do to move up
    The salary is absolutely terrible. Not worth it
    There is no work life balance because the salary is so low you want to stay as late as possible for overtime
    The environment is so negative everyone is just cursing or yelling - not classy. Not a place I was sticking around for that's for sure.
    You're as replaceable as they come
    Honestly just stay away and save yourself from the torture

Advice to Management

at least pretend you care about your employees.

10. "Intern"

I worked at Viacom Media Networks full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for students interested in working in TV on the network side. Easy enough job, friendly and supportive HR folks especially for individuals who have little experience working in corporate.

Cons

Bulk of the work is desk sitting. Not a whole lot of opportunities to do actual meaningful work. Culture not the most conducive to free expression.

Advice to Management

Not much. Interns don't do much but that's to be expected. All in all a fine first opportunity for students and young adults.

11. "Great People, Good time"

Current Employee - Development Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Development Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Viacom Media Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

I've had a few entertainment industry internships before MTV, and I have enjoyed my time here. There is plenty of respect between employees, and office camaraderie is evident. As an intern, I am encouraged to ask questions and be proactive. Primarily, I read scripts, watch cuts, and carry out basic administrative tasks.

Cons

Some of the promises made during the interview process and early days of the internship have not been followed up.

Advice to Management

You can totally expect more out of the interns - we're here to work. It would be nice to sit in on more interesting meetings.