Viacom Media Networks Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Viacom Media Networks intern Reviews

Updated April 17, 2017

intern

Pros
  • Great benefits and work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• The company atmosphere is lighthearted and laid back (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance wasn't great, but it was manageable (in 16 reviews)

• long long hours can be draining (in 21 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

People are really nice and they respect each other
    Young crowd
    Good name
    Good location (times square)
    You learn a lot
    Flexible work hours

Cons

No compensation for interns. They should at least give free breakfast or lunch or travel compensation to their interns

2. "Insightful"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Nurturing environment, casual atmosphere, extremely supportive supervisors. Offers an opportunity to work for one of the most influential media organizations on the planet and see the inner workings of cable networks.

Cons

Occasionally menial and repetitive work, Times Square headquarters can get overwhelming. Sometimes employees seem too relaxed, would like to see a stronger work ethic among supervisors and management.

3. "Satisfactory"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

When there are things for the interns to do, it's great. You'll get to sit in on tapings and help coordinate shoots.

Cons

We worked during a very slow season. Our supervisors had nothing to do, we in turn had nothing to do.

Advice to Management

perhaps, the office atmosphere could be a bit more intern friendly.

"Eye-opening and a lot of fun!"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

As an intern, MTVN staff are always willing to help you find experience in different areas of the company. Everyone treated me like a part of the team immediately, gave great feedback and always challenged me!

Cons

It is definitely a huge company and has that huge company mentality, it can be easy to get lost in the crowd.

Advice to Management

Just to continue doing what they're doing. I felt very connected and cared for the entire time I was there.

5. "Fun experience"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Young, friendly, bubbly employees
    People are always willing to help and share their insight
    Cool offices
    Great building and views
    Fun environment

Cons

I was only an intern so I didn't see too many downsides. Did hear stories though about difficulty moving up the ladder and understaffed departments like in programming.

Advice to Management

Pay interns! Or at least give up a travel stipend. For such a huge corporation, a stipend to interns can definitely be afforded!

"Fun, diverse atmosphere, but slightly bored"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

While interning at MTV, I was able to gain a lot of experience in my department. The people were very nice. The lounge is nice but definitely nothing to call home about. The environment feels very diverse and welcoming. I was able to meet with my intern supervisor on a daily basis to ask questions and receive feedback on my performance. I met some great people at MTV. Best of all, this internship looks GREAT on a resume.

Cons

I wish interns had the opportunity to rotate to other departments to learn more and increase networking opportunities. I never really got the chance to meet other interns as the place is huge. I was often bored with nothing to do even after requesting work.

Advice to Management

I can't speak as a paid employee, but as an intern, I would recommend increasing networking opportunities/events for interns.

7. "good summer"

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

fun. hip. trendy. lots of young people. There's always something going on.

Cons

huge place, hard to meet people. interns get no pay.

Advice to Management

get some more quality scripted shows and less reality

8. "MTV Networks - Atom.com is great!"

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Its a relaxed work environment with a young, energetic and funny group of people working there. Everyone is very dedicated to their work and no one puts in any less than their full effort. There is good support within the company and a friendly relationship between departments.

Cons

I am the only intern on my floor. While I have a great working and friendly relationship with my co-workers, I have no social opportunities to meet other interns.

Advice to Management

For their internship program, 1. allow interns to choose not to accept credit. (for legal purposes pay them $1, or something similar) This issue almost prevented me from working this summer, and 2. hold intern-only events so that we can network and keep in contact throughout the summer even if we are in different departments.

9. "Intern at MTV Networks"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

MTV Networks has a great culture. Everyone who is there wants to go to work every day. They make your experience extremely enjoyable.

Cons

The organization is so large that it is merely impossible to get a taste of it all. Also, the candidate application process can be more effective shortened.

Advice to Management

I think that MTV Networks is doing well. It is a great place to work! One area for improvement would be to look more into the recruitment process and to make it more efficient.

"As an intern, it's hard to tell."

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Love the cafeteria, interesting people, interesting projects, fun atmosphere

Cons

Was told I could get hands-on experience in the internship I never received, really bad desk set-up for an intern, never worked with or spoke to the person who was supposed to be my supervisor.

Advice to Management

Allow interns more opportunity to move from department to department.