Viacom Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Viacom President & CEO Robert Bakish
Robert Bakish

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Company, Great Work life balance (in 55 reviews)

• work environment, coworkers and projects (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance depends on the group (in 18 reviews)

• Office is in the middle of Times Square (in 28 reviews)

1. "Blegh"

Former Contractor - Writer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Writer in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Kitchens provide a wide variety of milks for coffee.

Cons

Company has absolutely no coherent vision, upper management is constantly changing. I worked there for 8 months and experienced and experienced about 6 managerial changes. Every few months we were instructed that the company had a different target audience and to act accordingly. They are flailing to stay relevant with no strategy.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to young employees when creating your master plans to be the home of "youth culture" or whatever.

2. "Delivery (Yield) Analyst"

Pros

Great culture, fun work environment

Cons

Within the AdOps team, there are too many responsibilities within Yield. There should be a separation between campaign management and yield.

3. "Viacom"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Viacom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are good employee benefits.

Cons

There is little to no upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Find some compassion and respect for your employees

4. "Sales Service Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Service Executive in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Service Executive in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Viacom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are fun, go to most of the events when they are in your city

Cons

Awful office politics. CSR's and SSE's have zero power or control, and then you are promoted to Account Executive and can do whatever you want

5. "VP Creative Director"

I worked at Viacom full-time

Pros

Exciting projects and work environment.

Cons

Mercurial management practices with little accountability made it difficult to get anything done.

"sigh... viacom is what's wrong with the media industry"

I worked at Viacom full-time

Pros

great office location? really that's all i can think of and there's a 20 word minimum

Cons

corporate overlords run the place ,and what was once a vibrant hotbed of creativity is now milking the consumer for every cent they can get

Advice to Management

fire the upper management and adjust to the new world of ott video. channels and appointment viewing are dead.

"Frauds and cowards"

Pros

If you're into working 5 years for a minimal title change and no raise, this is the place for you!

Cons

Aging, ineffective dinosaurs with a strangle hold on leadership positions and no grasp on the practices or realities of the creative industry at large.

Advice to Management

Dismantle and sell the entire operation as this problem is endemic, distributed throughout the entire conglomerate.

8. "Major management problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Viacom (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation Days \ Personal Days are 30 per year.

Cons

Inability to keep talent, revolving door for senior management, layoffs

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect.

9. "Helpdesk"

Former Contractor - Helpdesk in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Helpdesk in New York, NY

I worked at Viacom as a contractor

Pros

The lounges and the Crestrons are amazing.

Cons

That place is like the Titanic. It's geared not to help callers at all and bury their requests under a mountain of red tape no wonder they have 6,000+ unanswered tickets in their system. I didn't run into one CSR that wasn't cursing during or after a call with a user. A lot of desk banging and huffing in the middle of all of that too. It's like they are annoyed that people are calling for IT things. They have no training structure there. The most inexperience person on the team was assigned to train me. How smart is that? Where is your training manual too? Every rep had their own customized notes and no central resource point. The KB has how-to instructions with no troublshooting portions. How is that helpful to your CSR?

Advice to Management

There is no training structure there. It's fly by the seat of your pants and a lot of passive/aggressive behavior.

10. "Tech Review"

Former Employee - Backend Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Backend Developer in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of perks including free coffee/hot chocolate and a great dining room with choices of food that change every day and there are always free items being given away in the lobby: I got a poncho on a rainy day once and chocolate for valentines day! My coworkers were all very cool people who I quickly became close with.

Cons

There is no guidance at all on how to do your job and asking your superiors questions is discouraged. Even if it wasn't, one of my bosses lived in Europe so it was difficult to get in touch with her and another of my bosses did not speak English very well. As such many of my coworkers and I struggled through through our assignments together.

Since I was working part time on contract if I showed up and there wasn't work for me to do I would often be sent home which was a real pain since I was commuting into the city. After the first time this happened I always asked if I would be needed the next day and sometimes even on days that they told me they did need me I would be sent home.

Getting to a different floor can sometimes be difficult since the elevators that go to your floor (whatever floor that is) only go to 10 or so of the ~50 floors in the Viacom building. Sometimes even going to a floor two levels away from me required two very long elevator rides.

Advice to Management

If I was to make some changes here I would request a more extensive form of orientation at the beginning of the job just to help new employees get oriented. I would also encourage people to try their best to solve their problems but definitely to ask for help if it is really needed.