KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 821 of over 999 reviews

4.0
Viasat President and CEO Rick Baldridge
Rick Baldridge
Pros
  • "Work life balance is good, coworkers are nice, pay is good(in 118 reviews)

• "Large company with small company work environment; flexibility to work remotely; opportunities for internal growth; employs only the best engineers(in 86 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Carlsbad is an expensive area to live(in 25 reviews)

• "You will frequently be expected to work long hours(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Viasat and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

Jun 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

exceptional work life balance exceptional benefits package cutting edge RF communication development company

Cons

no cons with working at viasat

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great campus, sweet people, false culture, joke pay.

Jun 15, 2021 - Software Engineering Manager in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility in location, campus is pretty. Healthy lifestyle encouraged.

Cons

Pay is a total joke, bonus and stocks are FAR below industry average. If this is your only offer, know your worth and counter, especially if stocks are not written in yearly comp package. Culture is what you make it, but if you’re constantly having to remind everyone how good you are at something (e.g. culture), then it’s a facade. Had to work with global teams so absolutely worked inside and outside California business hours.

Viasat Response

Thank you for your feedback! Our employees drive everything we do and we are committed to supporting them in any way that we can. While we’re sorry to hear about the experience you had, it’s important that we address some of your comments. We closely monitor external compensation trends and data which enables us to adjust an employee’s compensation at any time throughout the year if the market has shifted quickly. We do this proactively, so our employees do not have to worry about falling behind. Employees are also encouraged to actively have these conversations with their supervisor. While we do pride ourselves on the culture we’ve maintained over the years, our culture was built by our employees and their feedback. The simple truth is that 91% of our employees recommend Viasat as a good place to work. Lastly, we do not favor tenure over talent. We’re committed to learning and growing with our employees and by not operating in a traditional hierarchal business structure we remove barriers for our people to innovate and collaborate at any level, in any location. We wish you best of luck in your future career!

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company but not fast paced

Jun 21, 2021 - Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility to try a new career stream or project. Culture is 10/10.

Cons

Things work relatively slowly. Lacks clear direction.

4. 5.0

workplace

Jun 21, 2021 - President and Chief Executive Officer in Carlsbad, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

technology leader and great work environment

Cons

San Diego / Carlsbad can be a tough area to find housing

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Employee considerate organization

Jun 17, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

This organization is very open to employee feedback and very considerate of its employees when policy decisions are made. The overall culture of the organization is very good.

Cons

no cab services for employee pick up and drop.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Viasat really cares about their employees

May 17, 2021 - Program Manager in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mostly everyone is super friendly and intelligent. Facilities are amazing as well as benefits. Enjoy going to work pre Covid. Support for employees during Covid including a stipend and time off to get vaccinated. If all employers were rated on how they treated their employees during covid, Viasat would receive 5 stars! Flatter org structure than most large companies. Everyone can make an impact.

Cons

Takes a full year to ramp up at Viasat. Too many acronyms and abbreviations to learn. Viasat is not keen on multiple levels of management or even a defined org structure which can be a positive but can also make it hard for new employees to understand who's who and what they do.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company, great people.

Apr 26, 2021 - Software Developer in College Station, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company that cares about the well being of its employees. Excellent benefits and employee programs. Very little crunch. Skilled and generally awesome co-workers. Aside from the healthy culture, this good review comes mostly from the fact that, in 2020 when when all airline-centric revenue was hit hard and some competitors were undergoing large scale layoffs (%40+), Viasat cut the absolute minimum (%3 I think?) and even continued standard cost of living raises in 2020. It shows a strong commitment and stable business practices.

Cons

There is definitely some political nonsense in the upper echelons here, but you're going to see that in any company this large. It's relatively minimal I think.

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company to work for

Jun 17, 2021 - Senior Accountant in Largo, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, easy going culture

Cons

Not easy to move up the ladder

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Room to move

Jun 15, 2021 - Mechanical Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can move around as interests change

Cons

not much to report here.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Ups and Downs in the Satellite Business

Jun 6, 2021 - Applications Analyst in Englewood, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many good people in all departments. Good overall atmosphere.

Cons

Some communication lapses between departments (but nothing you won't find in just about any complex technical environment).

Viewing 1 - 10 of 821 Reviews