Vicarious Visions Artist Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Vicarious Visions Studio Head Jennifer Oneal
Jennifer Oneal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall Vicarious Visions is a friendly and fun environment with lots of activities and events to take part in especially in regards to music (in 3 reviews)

• Friendly group of people, challenging problems to solve (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Really long hours for extended time periods (in 4 reviews)

• While Albany has some attractions, it is a relatively lower energy area more geared towards families (in 13 reviews)

1. "A Well Balanced Culture; A Place to Grow and Stride"

Current Employee - Artist in Albany, NY

I have been working at Vicarious Visions (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are always striving to remain in AAA IPs which still exploring unique ideas
    It's a company that supports local colleges, community involvement, and sharing local culture
    Benefits packages are good and promote healthy living with fun competition
    There is a strong mentoring program here that helps us all develop as individuals and leaders
    Fun work environment with lifetime relationships
    Culturally open to a wide variety of individuals
    Everyone can be involved in internal tools development which helps us all grow our quality of product

Cons

Heavy creative involvement from the exec team can pose both positive and a negative at times.
    Need for healthier options for food catering and breakfast bar

"“Quality artists, poor location, terrible management ”"

Current Employee - Artist in Albany, NY

I have been working at Vicarious Visions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A relaxed atmosphere and generally nice people to work with make this one of the better working environments that I've been in. I honestly miss working with those guys. They were the highlight of my time there.

Cons

They've been artificially padding their ratings on glassdoor lately (reference the ratings trends). That's a good indication of their approach to ethical and moral behavior.

Inept and at times deeply unethical management coupled with an expensive, yet uninspiring location hold this studio back from doing great things. They're struggling to break into the AAA scene, but are unable to consistently retain top talent due to various shortcomings on the part of management.

Advice to Management

Rather than posting fake reviews, maybe actually improve conditions.

"One of the industry's best kept secrets"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in Albany, NY

Pros

Excellent stability here. Executive staff always busy finding the next opportunity, which leads to unusual stability for the games industry.

Invests in training and growth of employees

Incredible tools and tech. Cutting edge rendering technology. Extremely supportive engineering and tools staff.

Great place to have a family and be in the games industry.

proximity to NYC and Boston without the cost.

Cons

Advancement, while definitely available, is a bit of a confusing process at times.

Area might not appeal to everyone.

Pay is only ok for the industry, however, it's not bad for the area.

Advice to Management

Clearer incentive programs would be nice.

4. "Great people, Unique projects, and about as stress free as you can get!"

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

Pros

Vicarious is a studio that has collected and grown some of the best talent I've ever seen in the industry. They foster a very relaxed atmosphere, while still encouraging us to push, and SUPPORT each other to become the best we can be. Our projects are actually rather special in that we get to work on unique branches of game titles (i.e. we don't do space marines and shooters). This allows us to spread our wings a bit and foster some experimentation in our work!

Our benefits package is great, as well as an extremely reasonable time off policy. The only occasion where time-off would be denied would be during crunch time. Speaking of crunch, the studio seems to do all it can to avoid crunch time...understanding that we get our best work from people when they are at their highest levels of energy (not when they're worked to death). Of course, crunch DOES happen...but it's made to be as painless as possible.

Another benefit, from a developer standpoint, is our tools. The company really takes great pride in our internal tools, taking the pain out of game development so our creative people can focus on what they do best...CREATING!

Finally, the people are great here. I've never worked in a studio that has such a LACK of ego and inter-competition. Everyone seems to have the same goal....getting better to create better games.

Highly recommended.

Cons

Salary may be lower here than at other studios. It is, however, somewhat less expensive to live in upstate New York vs someplace like southern California...so it balances out. But the pay could use a little boost.

Advice to Management

Trust in the talents of the team. Keep fostering creativity, training, and tool development. Maintain confidence in your culture, your people, and your projects.

"A Relaxed Environment with Room for Personal Growth."

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Albany, NY

I worked at Vicarious Visions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

VV has a relaxed vibe with flexible hours and easy-going personalities. As an artist, I was able to work with management/leads to develop the skills that I wanted to. I was able to try my hand at many aspects of game art and didn't feel slotted into just one thing. Communication between disciplines was never an issue for me. Generally, other employees were all to happy to help or even teach/explain what they knew. VV also does their best to maintain their workers even after shipping titles whereas many other studios might be looking to downsize. Compensation at VV was pretty good, especially considering the cost of living in Albany.

Cons

Albany is a smaller city and if you aren't used to the climate in the north-east it might be a shock. There is a bit of separation between upper-management and content creators. Most of the games made at VV are part of an existing franchise and the work does have to support that franchise.

Advice to Management

Start an original IP!

"Like being kicked to death by small children"

Former Employee - Game Artist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Game Artist in Albany, NY

I worked at Vicarious Visions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you plan to move on in a year or two - or if you're just starting out and enjoy an overbearing gestapo-esque work environment.

Cons

The name says it all. If you just want to work on other companies' games, creations and visions and put out games with little or no creative input - then this is the place for you. Vicarious Visions is run in a highly hierarchical fashion - with the people at the top knowing little to nothing about what is happening. Interaction between disciplines and even the attempt to expand tool-sets and techniques is sicouraged.

Advice to Management

Management is a joke here. It's basically a close group of buddies protecting their positions - the result is: well, Vicarious Visions. A company that makes other people's games poorly. My advice to management? Quit. Go find jobs in advertising.

"Talented people, poor structure."

Current Employee - Artist in Albany, NY

Pros

Great people. Lovely Albany provides access to some great sites.

Cons

Bloated management. Too many meetings. Little room for creative growth.

Advice to Management

Lose half of the management staff and focus on making games.

"Friendly, fun and driven, but the projects fall a bit flat for the ambitious and quality focused artist"

Former Employee - Artist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Artist in Albany, NY

Pros

Wide variety of projects
    Lots of room for internal growth
    Good compensation through bonuses and stock purchase plans
    Excellent facility
    Friendly, talented people

Cons

The projects aren't the most exciting for ambitious artists
    Deadline rather than quality focused
    Facility is great, but the location isn't ideal

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your employees and they'll keep taking care of you!