Vicarious Visions Reviews | Glassdoor

Vicarious Visions Reviews

Updated October 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall Vicarious Visions is a friendly and fun environment with lots of activities and events to take part in especially in regards to music (in 3 reviews)

• Friendly group of people, challenging problems to solve (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Really long hours for extended time periods (in 4 reviews)

• While Albany has some attractions, it is a relatively lower energy area more geared towards families (in 13 reviews)

"One of the industry's best kept secrets"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in Albany, NY

Pros

Excellent stability here. Executive staff always busy finding the next opportunity, which leads to unusual stability for the games industry.

Invests in training and growth of employees

Incredible tools and tech. Cutting edge rendering technology. Extremely supportive engineering and tools staff.

Great place to have a family and be in the games industry.

proximity to NYC and Boston without the cost.

Cons

Advancement, while definitely available, is a bit of a confusing process at times.

Area might not appeal to everyone.

Pay is only ok for the industry, however, it's not bad for the area.

Advice to Management

Clearer incentive programs would be nice.

2. "Great people, Unique projects, and about as stress free as you can get!"

Current Employee - Artist
    Current Employee - Artist

Pros

Vicarious is a studio that has collected and grown some of the best talent I've ever seen in the industry. They foster a very relaxed atmosphere, while still encouraging us to push, and SUPPORT each other to become the best we can be. Our projects are actually rather special in that we get to work on unique branches of game titles (i.e. we don't do space marines and shooters). This allows us to spread our wings a bit and foster some experimentation in our work!

Our benefits package is great, as well as an extremely reasonable time off policy. The only occasion where time-off would be denied would be during crunch time. Speaking of crunch, the studio seems to do all it can to avoid crunch time...understanding that we get our best work from people when they are at their highest levels of energy (not when they're worked to death). Of course, crunch DOES happen...but it's made to be as painless as possible.

Another benefit, from a developer standpoint, is our tools. The company really takes great pride in our internal tools, taking the pain out of game development so our creative people can focus on what they do best...CREATING!

Finally, the people are great here. I've never worked in a studio that has such a LACK of ego and inter-competition. Everyone seems to have the same goal....getting better to create better games.

Highly recommended.

Cons

Salary may be lower here than at other studios. It is, however, somewhat less expensive to live in upstate New York vs someplace like southern California...so it balances out. But the pay could use a little boost.

Advice to Management

Trust in the talents of the team. Keep fostering creativity, training, and tool development. Maintain confidence in your culture, your people, and your projects.

"A Relaxed Environment with Room for Personal Growth."

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Albany, NY

I worked at Vicarious Visions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

VV has a relaxed vibe with flexible hours and easy-going personalities. As an artist, I was able to work with management/leads to develop the skills that I wanted to. I was able to try my hand at many aspects of game art and didn't feel slotted into just one thing. Communication between disciplines was never an issue for me. Generally, other employees were all to happy to help or even teach/explain what they knew. VV also does their best to maintain their workers even after shipping titles whereas many other studios might be looking to downsize. Compensation at VV was pretty good, especially considering the cost of living in Albany.

Cons

Albany is a smaller city and if you aren't used to the climate in the north-east it might be a shock. There is a bit of separation between upper-management and content creators. Most of the games made at VV are part of an existing franchise and the work does have to support that franchise.

Advice to Management

Start an original IP!

"Like being kicked to death by small children"

Former Employee - Game Artist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Game Artist in Albany, NY

I worked at Vicarious Visions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you plan to move on in a year or two - or if you're just starting out and enjoy an overbearing gestapo-esque work environment.

Cons

The name says it all. If you just want to work on other companies' games, creations and visions and put out games with little or no creative input - then this is the place for you. Vicarious Visions is run in a highly hierarchical fashion - with the people at the top knowing little to nothing about what is happening. Interaction between disciplines and even the attempt to expand tool-sets and techniques is sicouraged.

Advice to Management

Management is a joke here. It's basically a close group of buddies protecting their positions - the result is: well, Vicarious Visions. A company that makes other people's games poorly. My advice to management? Quit. Go find jobs in advertising.

5. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Vicarious Visions full-time

Pros

A very strong culture. Great IP to work on. Lots of opportunity for personal development.

Cons

The Albany area won't appeal to everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on continuing to develop a strong talent base. Stay true to your passions.

6. "Lots of room to grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Albany, NY

I have been working at Vicarious Visions full-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility in terms of what you'll be able to work on. Both in terms of projects and platforms.

Cons

Decision making is done exclusively. Project organization is very hierarchical.

"A company that believes in their management, not their content creators"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

A beautiful facility
    A management team that is attempting to calm people's nerves with many outings and parties
    A (currently) steady slate of titles to work on
    A current push among the rank and file to bring improvements from the bottom up
    Like most game companies, VV is filled with fun and interesting people

Cons

A bloated management group including multiple executive producers, producers, assistant producers, game directors, leads and multiple seniors that 'manage' others instead of producing content. This group of managers attempt to manage down with little understanding of the issues and almost all of them believe they're qualified to be the Lead Designer and attempt to push their ideas rather than support the team.

A culture of cronyism; you had better be good friends with the producers and seniors that matter or you'll be relegated to grunt work and the management group will (like a hall-of-mirrors) re-enforce their own negative ideas about you quickly. It doesn't really matter if their ideas are reality; few people at that level actively seek information and understanding. This can take years to reverse, if it can be at all.

A sense of entitlement is prevalent at the company. With no other major local game studios in the area the employees are free to get 'big heads' and compare themselves with the top companies in the industry. This isn't even remotely true. VV has yet to put out a project that differentiates it from the pack. This is partially to do with it's slate of sequels, ports, expansions and partially to do with it's management rewarding on-time-delivery far more than stand out products.

VV still has the mentality that getting the project out the door is success enough. They're going to have a hard time breaking out of this mentality with the current management/lead designers. The hurdle that continues to provide a stumbling block on every VV project is the inability to design games with in scope with time to polish their content. The company has set a goal for itself to be influential and push the envelope; at the moment I've seen nothing to indicate an actual move in that direction.

Advice to Management

People don't leave companies, they leave bad management.

8. "Better than most"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

The Bala brothers who run this place know what they are doing
    Cool, fancy, studio
    Good relationship with nintendo
    Uppermanagment still trys to keep the studio feeling like it considers its employees family.
    Driving distance to New York City, and Boston.

Cons

Management other than the Bala's and executive producers are grossly miscast.
    Some senior level developers have bloated sense of purpose and ability and even worse people skills. Unfortunately these are the people that are also lessened to by senior management the most.
    If you tow the line at VV you will likely enjoy your stay, if you don't .... well it will be a short stay anyway.
    Albany really sucks in most every way imaginable.
    Cost of living it to high for what you get in the area.
    Snow

Advice to Management

Management isn't that large of an issue. Sure there are some miscast individuals but they mean well and want to do a good job. I think your best route for improvement is to remove, or at least counter some of entrenched senior development personal that are still there. Talk with some mid-level long term employees and even the senior groups on a 1 on 1 basis and ask them what is the biggest issue that they are concerned with in the studio. Something tells me you are going to see a common thread.
    I wish you guys all the best, hopefully i have written a fair review. I would be willing to return to your studio someday, but not until there is an equilibrium.

"Mostly Good Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

Good work life balance. Interesting set of projects most of the time.

Cons

Middle Management is blotted, needs some sort of bottom up evaluation of employees to executives, in house technology is holding them back. Some politics. Not as open and transparent of an environment as it used to be.

Advice to Management

Vicarious is a good place for starting out, but they tend to panic on 'bigger' projects, and forget what made them great. It is not that they can't handle big projects it is just the company gets self-conscious about them. Upper management also needs to listen to the employees from the bottom up, even the stuff that might be difficult to hear. Many of the recent problems could have been avoided if the Management had listened to the teams about the projects

"Good as a first job in the industry, but get out before your feelings get crushed or the studio falls apart."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

- fun, young people
    - games with a lot of potential

Cons

- you are unappreciated and never recognized nor rewarded for doing a good job
    - middle managment is more into themselves and trying to climb hire in the ladder
    - mediocrity seems to be accepted at VV, unfortunately
    - good ideas from team members are usually shut down for no apparent reason or picked up by a lead that will claim them as their own
    - pay and pay raises are too low
    - Albany is not a fun place to live
    - Studio is dark (you're working under neon lights all day) and constantly shaking (poor building structure)

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to be shrinked and trained to treat others as human beings and needs to stop lying to people when there are problems.