Vice Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Shane Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay (apart from if in the boys club) which makes it impossible to manage" (in 30 reviews)

• "Work/ life balance is non-existent" (in 11 reviews)

"Freelance Motion Graphic Designer/Snapchat Division"

Former Employee - Motion Graphics Artist in Irvington, NY
    Former Employee - Motion Graphics Artist in Irvington, NY

I worked at Vice Media part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked from home, had complete creative freedom, little interaction with anyone in the main offices.

Cons

I had to pester them to pay me occasionally.

Advice to Management

You should hire me again sometime.

2. "Sink or Swim. That's Vice in a nutshell."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Vice Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will work with incredibly smart and driven people . Great snacks are provided and the onboarding process is phenomenal, despite a few snags along the way. I really feel setup for success.

Cons

HR is a bit disjointed. Not sure what they do outside of having constant meetings and catered lunch. It would be nice if we had a company directory. At times I feel a bit lost, but I'm learning the lay of the land.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any issues with my team, but I hear from a lot of co-workers within other divisions at Vice that they don't feel heard. I think managers should make a point of having 1:1s with their employees. Bi-weekly or weekly. They should also engage about performance and career tracking. HR should encourage this and make sure it's happening.

"Everything said about Vice by current and former employees that was bad...Please believe...Vice is built on a bluff!!!"

I have been working at Vice Media full-time

Pros

- The perks and the appearance on your resume

Cons

Where do I begin...

- Very tense work environment employees constantly work late to meet radical deadlines.
    - Too much of a relaxed environment that senior management is not properly managing employees (Lack of corporate structure for years have allowed this behavior, hopefully new CEO can turn it around)
    - Horrible senior management, cannot speak to the new CEO however other departments have horrific leadership.
    - Poor knowledge transfer and constant misdirection with very little guidance.
    - Assistant Director who constantly speaks negatively about everyone (supposed colleagues who they have claimed to have good relationships with, speaks negative about their own staff that they hate but also encourages the staff’s arrogant behavior, throws anyone under the bus to get themselves ahead just because they are a SNAKE). Is the most nastiest person I ever met just like many current and former employees who I have worked with this person and the statement I just made is shared by us all. This is the only place this person can be because they would not be allowed to display this type of behavior at any other company without being reported!!! Another bite just spot show this managers professionalism they talk on the phone all day and shop on the internet. What class
    - Director who is extremely rude and arrogant, does not respond to emails however will question you about something that is an issue that you have already flagged but it was beneath them to read the original email that was sent. Does not listen or understand the background or history of the department because they are too arrogant and do not want to listen and learn from their predecessor. Does not take the time nor the effort to speak to staff learns everything through the disgusting Manager (who paints negative images of staff and the Director just goes with that....lazy Director needs management training)
    - VP there is so much I can say about this person I would need to write a separate review!
    - Honestly while it seems like I am talking about one department this behavior happens in all departments.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your older and new senior management team give them thorough management training. HR department you all need to make yourselves visible and approachable, many employees are dissatisfied with their managers and roles they suffer in silence while you all hide away in your corners. HR you can clearly see this by all the reviews posted on Glassdoor that this is a epidemic that is going on and all of you are failing to look at clearly. No many how many happy hours and nasty beer you give it does not address any of the concerns and problems employees have expressed here. This is sadly the only outlet employees can speak truthfully about their situations. Do your jobs!!!

"Hey not bad"

Current Employee - TPM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - TPM in New York, NY

I have been working at Vice Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great teammates, good manager, culture embraces weirdness/don't feel judged, leadership responds/fixes usually when stuff goes sideways, transparent leadership is pretty good, don't hate my life every day

Cons

high level disorganization with company direction blocking progress downstream, for some reason our work day is 930-630 which is 9 hours not 8, physical office: very little ergonomic resources/everything is uncomfortable/no casual spaces to work/very few meeting rooms,

Advice to Management

be decisive and brave even if it's risky. and stop cutting corners around the offices, it wears us down to have thinning snack supplies and nowhere to meet or work (turn some of those basement cubes into meetings rooms and romp spaces tbh) — lastly, don't be stingy with raises for folks who have shown commitment. for real. it costs more in the long run to have that type of loathing and churn under your belt.

"Creative Department"

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Vice Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Your fellow employees, the 20-30 somethings that actually make the content that people used to love from Vice are really smart, interesting, and capable people.
    - For the most part, all levels of employees are free to contribute to the conversation and push through their ideas (budget permitting – and there is no budget because none of the money is reinvested into content)
    - The top of the company may be weighted to white males, but the company is more diverse and inclusive than media portrayal makes it out to be.

Cons

- You need to be in the "cool club" in order to make rise up the ranks. If you're not close to the old guard decision makers, you'll never get any recognition.
    - The work life balance is atrocious, especially considering the pay. Expect to work nights and weekends without thanks or compensation. It's simply expected of you.
    - The leadership is so painfully disconnected from the rest of the company it's unbelievable. All key decision makers are absentee bosses who you only hear from when something goes horribly wrong.
    - Everything you read about the pay is real. Men make way more than women, but everyone is underpaid, overworked, and exploited.
    - Empty promises from management and manipulative tactics to prevent young, impressionable staff from leaving.

Advice to Management

- Fire every employee with a gold Vice ring.
    - Treat your employees with respect and nurture them
    - Stop saying "Vice has never paid market rate" as an excuse to underpay. It's mindboggling that senior staff actually says that.
    - Stop diluting your brand by making non-strategic cash grabs with advertisers that doesn't result in good content or long term relationships when the programs inevitably under preform
    - Don't hire people simply because of your PR problems. Promote from within when possible and actually take the time to look for the right hires rather than just thinking about optics

"What a time"

I have been working at Vice Media full-time

Pros

Nice coworkers. Have good yogurt.

Cons

Uncomfortable chairs. Line ups to poop sometimes.

"Very Disappointing"

I have been working at Vice Media full-time

Pros

-Great panel discussions, lunch & learns and other events that don't revolve around drinking
    -The snacks used to be great

Cons

-Employees are severely underpaid and expected to work very long hours
    -Promotions are pathetic they're basically glorified bonuses
    -A lot of people backstabbing and throwing each other under the bus in hopes they'll get rewarded with a promotion
    -Managers have way too much power and will make or break your experience. If you have a bad manager good luck trying to find someone that will listen and help
    -Leadership is too removed from the business
    -Unqualified people in high ranking roles. Their lack of experience causes damage that affects everyone

Advice to Management

Do better. Hire qualified people. Don't reward backstabbing. Pay your employees what they deserve. You have a staff of award-winning content makers that deserve better.

"working for Viceland"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Video Editor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Vice Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of creative control and input. Quality people. Nice office.

Cons

Below market rates. No overtime, or weekend pay. Lack of proper management and accountability.

Advice to Management

We're unionizing for a reason. There is no clear management.

9. "writer"

Pros

it's fun as far as that goes

Cons

none besides what you see in the news

10. "what it's like to work at vice"

I have been working at Vice Media full-time

Pros

relaxed environment, nice perks and benefits, talented and driven people

Cons

quiet and corporate, very little communication with upper management