Victoria's Secret Category Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Category Manager

Victoria's Secret Category Manager Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2019

3.1
Victoria's Secret CEO Les Wexner (no image)
Les Wexner
  1. "Living our Values is Key"

Current Employee - Category Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Values, Compensation, Brand, Woman empowerment

Cons

retail hours are hard with a family

Victoria's Secret2019-07-30

"Know less, say yes!"

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount, free merchandise, first picks

Cons

Politics; not what you know, but who you know; too many chiefs, not enough Indians; unrealistic deadlines from corporate/constant last minute changes

Advice to Management

If you’re have managerial experience before you get here it will likely interfere with this companies policies. This isn’t a place that celebrates your ideas no matter how well they work. If you just “say yes” and have no back bone, You’ll do fine and probably sit in the same position for some odd years. Unless they fire everyone else with which by default, you’ll be promoted.

Victoria's Secret2019-07-30
  3. "Challenging and Rewarding / Not everyone's cup of tea."

Former Employee - Category Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company put a lot into training for management. Encouraged managers to be owners of their category/businesses. Definitely room for growth, as many in district and store manager positions once started as cashiers themselves. Some very great leaders in the company. The relationships you build in an intense work environment like Victoria's Secret are priceless.

Cons

Payroll was particularly challenging to manage... more so in some stores than in others and one bad weekend can kill your sales floor coverage for the rest of the week/month... sending you into a spiral of having to cut payroll hours, depending on the size of the store and market. Semi Annual Sale and Holidays were intense and exhausting. The worst part? Having to fix and pull the store together (sooo many tiny pieces) for hours after the store has closed.... because you had to cut payroll and there was no one on the sales floor to fix it throughout the day... but now you're having to spend the payroll after-hours anyway...... see how this works? Damned if you do... Damned if you don't.

Victoria's Secret2018-10-10
  4. "Lingerie category manager"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great training for every level, amazing gratis and contests. Much room for growth if you do not get on upper management's bad side.

Cons

Awful store visits. Impossible to know what is expected of you and what actions are to be taken as the upper management/corporate members who visit change their minds at the drop of a hat.

Advice to Management

More stable and see through expectations. Better work life balance especially around holidays and peak.

Victoria's Secret2017-10-12
  5. "Category Manager"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Champaign, IL

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewarding job when you help customer find the right fitting bras. Improved their self esteem and comfort level.

Cons

Maintaining panty drawer standards, getting customers to let you help them.

Victoria's Secret2017-05-15
  6. "Category manager"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time

Pros

Free or discounted bras/panties/fragrances. Love what the company stands for and love working on visual presentations. Great team atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is not great, long hours, not hard work, but tedious.

Victoria's Secret2016-10-06

"Worst Place to Work"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is the only pro of working for Victoria's Secret.

Cons

The culture is horrible. There is no growth opportunity. They employee leaders who are fear drivers instead of talent developers. They pride themselves on being the best place to work but they do not care about their employees. They don't care about breaks or lunches. The turnover is extremely high. There is no recognition. The district managers threaten to write up leaders if the store is not making sales instead of finding and creating ways to make change and encourage their leadership to think outside the box. Leaders don't ask questions to get to root causes of issues. The terminate associates wrongfully and the company does not value ethical practices.

Advice to Management

There is a major need to evaluate the things going on at a store level and it begins with accountability of leadership. Quit terminating associates wrongfully. Care about your team.

Victoria's Secret2016-09-28
  8. "Category Manager at Flagship"

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Three week vacation Stock options Full Benefits 401K

Cons

Lack of Creativity Work all holidays No more bonus structure for management

Advice to Management

When VS shifted their business model many good people left including myself. They did offer more money, but at that point the money was no longer worth it. The management opportunities became very limited. I was paid well but I was also very vocal about receiving an increase. I no longer felt challenged as the structure is very controlled (obviously because it's a global brand).

Victoria's Secret2016-07-04
  9. "Category Manager"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Merchandise, Great Employee Discount, Good salary for management and good pay raise/ bonus structure.

Cons

Demanding Schedule, Relentless Hours, Generally unappreciative of employees, and terribly underpaid support staff.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the part-time staff and supervisors more. They tolerate far worse for far less.

Victoria's Secret2016-04-25

"Would not recommend"

I worked at Victoria's Secret full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you make your bonus and if they still are paying out for making your bonus THAT is worth it. Some friends I made from working there are amazing but unfortunately all think the same way about this company. It's such a shame.

Cons

Management is all about favoritism. As a manager myself I was involved in conversations and meetings with my bosses about their love/hate relationships with my associates. They told me who they liked and didn't like and it was my job either get rid of them or get them promoted. At some points a LIST was made of associates to get rid of. If I didn't do what they wanted to in the time frame they expected I was in trouble. It's extremely fake. They say they care about the associates needs but that is just a cover. They really don't care at all. All management cares about is to make sure their associates don't say mad things about them. HR is a joke. There is no unbiased HR. They are always on the senior management's side. No matter what the situation is. Unnecessary levels of stress not warranted for a retail management position.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old managers and breathe fresh new life into that company.

Victoria's Secret2016-03-07